BMW: Decisions! Mondeo Titanium X Sport or 320D Sport Coupe : BMW 3 series Forum • BMWLand

  BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount
  
  

Decisions! Mondeo Titanium X Sport or 320D Sport Coupe

BMW forum 3 series car: E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F31, F34, F35

Moderator: Moderators

Postby m330d » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:21:31 UTC

mjg wrote:
535dBoy wrote:
mjg wrote:However the Mondeo in it's new incarnation is a very nice looking car - refined - but and here's the rub - they just don't have the same exclusivity of a BM


Really !?!??!

Hardly ever see a Mondeo in comparison to a 3er

the 3er is the Sierra of the late 200X years


Really....you can post stats to prove this yes???


its true there are more 3s sold than mondeos.
m330d
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 16203
Joined: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:23:35 UTC
Location: Derry Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby 535dBoy » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:26:25 UTC

mjg wrote:
535dBoy wrote:
mjg wrote:However the Mondeo in it's new incarnation is a very nice looking car - refined - but and here's the rub - they just don't have the same exclusivity of a BM


Really !?!??!

Hardly ever see a Mondeo in comparison to a 3er

the 3er is the Sierra of the late 200X years


Your opinion, which of course however flawed the basis of the facts and argument it is based on you are fully entitled to,


Only very quick look, I'm sure there is a more reliable one some where

http://cars.uk.msn.com/News/Top_ten_art ... id=7319152

Mondeo doesn't even feature
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport
535dBoy
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 5332
Joined: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:52:09 UTC
Location: East Sussex
Wales (CM)

Postby 535dBoy » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:31:01 UTC

OR this one

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/motoring/galle ... wse/527060

Again in with mainstream stuff, Feb 09
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport
535dBoy
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 5332
Joined: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:52:09 UTC
Location: East Sussex
Wales (CM)

Postby mjg » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:40:12 UTC

535dBoy wrote:OR this one

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/motoring/galle ... wse/527060

Again in with mainstream stuff, Feb 09


Getting a little eager to prove your point.....I think.

Anything from the motor manufacturers association you might have missed???
2004 BMW 320 Ci M-Sport auto - gone but not forgotten.
2009 Mazda MX-5 1.8i. - Jan's
mjg
Overdrive

User avatar

Posts: 492
Joined: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 00:52:08 UTC
Location: East Cleveland UK (where the men are men and the sheep are nervous)

Postby 535dBoy » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:41:27 UTC

mjg wrote:
535dBoy wrote:
mjg wrote:However the Mondeo in it's new incarnation is a very nice looking car - refined - but and here's the rub - they just don't have the same exclusivity of a BM


Really !?!??!

Hardly ever see a Mondeo in comparison to a 3er

the 3er is the Sierra of the late 200X years


Your opinion, which of course however flawed the basis of the facts and argument it is based on you are fully entitled to,

Not sure why you say that
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport
535dBoy
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 5332
Joined: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:52:09 UTC
Location: East Sussex
Wales (CM)

Postby BigJohnson » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:41:58 UTC

Right then my beauties ...

Just returned back from my 2nd Mondeo Titanium X Sport test drive - and let me start by saying that it is not an old mans car - it's a VERY nice car. The sport certainly looks the part. It is a big car, but big with presence, not bulky. It handles great - gear changing is smooth, road/wind noise is no greater than a Beemer. The interior is high quality, no dodgy plastics. The seating position is nice & comfy. I got out and took a walk around the car again - its VERY nice, and I was almost sold ... almost. Then I started asking questions about servicing, tyres, brakes etc. The servicing interval on this beast is every 12 months or 12k miles, which is alot shorter than the Beemer. The car, having only done 5k miles was on showing only 3mm of tyre tread, so they will need replaciing. The service guy said that they replace these frequently due to the soft compounds & heavy nose weight. So that's essentially a set of tyres per year @ £175 per tyre (not short of BMW money), but my experience is that BMW tyres last longer. Then the MPG. I clocked this at 32mpg on a combined cycle. So I'll give this the benefit of the doubt and call this 35-40 for good measure on longer runs. Far below the Ford spec, but then aren;t all cars!

So after various calculations, over 3 years, the BMW wins on cold hard cash - even taking into consideration depreciation. So, BMW it is, but only because of ongoing running costs, otherwise I'd have gone with the Mondeo. With all things taken into consideration, I worked out that the BMW costs 49p/mile and the Mondeo at 54p/mile

As I said - the Titanium X Sport is a VERY nice car, but has just been pipped at the post.
BigJohnson
User

Posts: 29
Joined: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:08:55 UTC
Location: Midlands

Postby mjg » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:46:02 UTC

BigJohnson wrote:Right then my beauties ...

Just returned back from my 2nd Mondeo Titanium X Sport test drive - and let me start by saying that it is not an old mans car - it's a VERY nice car. The sport certainly looks the part. It is a big car, but big with presence, not bulky. It handles great - gear changing is smooth, road/wind noise is no greater than a Beemer. The interior is high quality, no dodgy plastics. The seating position is nice & comfy. I got out and took a walk around the car again - its VERY nice, and I was almost sold ... almost. Then I started asking questions about servicing, tyres, brakes etc. The servicing interval on this beast is every 12 months or 12k miles, which is alot shorter than the Beemer. The car, having only done 5k miles was on showing only 3mm of tyre tread, so they will need replaciing. The service guy said that they replace these frequently due to the soft compounds & heavy nose weight. So that's essentially a set of tyres per year @ £175 per tyre (not short of BMW money), but my experience is that BMW tyres last longer. Then the MPG. I clocked this at 32mpg on a combined cycle. So I'll give this the benefit of the doubt and call this 35-40 for good measure on longer runs. Far below the Ford spec, but then aren;t all cars!

So after various calculations, over 3 years, the BMW wins on cold hard cash - even taking into consideration depreciation. So, BMW it is, but only because of ongoing running costs, otherwise I'd have gone with the Mondeo. With all things taken into consideration, I worked out that the BMW costs 49p/mile and the Mondeo at 54p/mile

As I said - the Titanium X Sport is a VERY nice car, but has just been pipped at the post.


Nice one - so you went with your head not your heart, my heart would have said BM but glad your head said the same... enjoy your car.....
2004 BMW 320 Ci M-Sport auto - gone but not forgotten.
2009 Mazda MX-5 1.8i. - Jan's
mjg
Overdrive

User avatar

Posts: 492
Joined: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 00:52:08 UTC
Location: East Cleveland UK (where the men are men and the sheep are nervous)

Postby mjg » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:46:56 UTC

535dBoy wrote:
mjg wrote:
535dBoy wrote:
mjg wrote:However the Mondeo in it's new incarnation is a very nice looking car - refined - but and here's the rub - they just don't have the same exclusivity of a BM


Really !?!??!

Hardly ever see a Mondeo in comparison to a 3er

the 3er is the Sierra of the late 200X years


Your opinion, which of course however flawed the basis of the facts and argument it is based on you are fully entitled to,

Not sure why you say that


Threads finished mate OP went with the BM
2004 BMW 320 Ci M-Sport auto - gone but not forgotten.
2009 Mazda MX-5 1.8i. - Jan's
mjg
Overdrive

User avatar

Posts: 492
Joined: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 00:52:08 UTC
Location: East Cleveland UK (where the men are men and the sheep are nervous)

Postby 535dBoy » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:48:35 UTC

BigJohnson wrote:Right then my beauties ...

Just returned back from my 2nd Mondeo Titanium X Sport test drive - and let me start by saying that it is not an old mans car - it's a VERY nice car. The sport certainly looks the part. It is a big car, but big with presence, not bulky. It handles great - gear changing is smooth, road/wind noise is no greater than a Beemer. The interior is high quality, no dodgy plastics. The seating position is nice & comfy. I got out and took a walk around the car again - its VERY nice, and I was almost sold ... almost. Then I started asking questions about servicing, tyres, brakes etc. The servicing interval on this beast is every 12 months or 12k miles, which is alot shorter than the Beemer. The car, having only done 5k miles was on showing only 3mm of tyre tread, so they will need replaciing. The service guy said that they replace these frequently due to the soft compounds & heavy nose weight. So that's essentially a set of tyres per year @ £175 per tyre (not short of BMW money), but my experience is that BMW tyres last longer. Then the MPG. I clocked this at 32mpg on a combined cycle. So I'll give this the benefit of the doubt and call this 35-40 for good measure on longer runs. Far below the Ford spec, but then aren;t all cars!

So after various calculations, over 3 years, the BMW wins on cold hard cash - even taking into consideration depreciation. So, BMW it is, but only because of ongoing running costs, otherwise I'd have gone with the Mondeo. With all things taken into consideration, I worked out that the BMW costs 49p/mile and the Mondeo at 54p/mile

As I said - the Titanium X Sport is a VERY nice car, but has just been pipped at the post.

Fair enough and good fair test

My friend has his Tit X through is business, he pays £450/mth fully maintained including tyres and up to 30k miles per year and they even changed it for exactly the same car after 18 months no quibbles. Don't think you could get a new 320 for that deal - he is happy
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport
535dBoy
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 5332
Joined: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:52:09 UTC
Location: East Sussex
Wales (CM)

Postby m330d » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:49:23 UTC

BigJohnson wrote:Right then my beauties ...

Just returned back from my 2nd Mondeo Titanium X Sport test drive - and let me start by saying that it is not an old mans car - it's a VERY nice car. The sport certainly looks the part. It is a big car, but big with presence, not bulky. It handles great - gear changing is smooth, road/wind noise is no greater than a Beemer. The interior is high quality, no dodgy plastics. The seating position is nice & comfy. I got out and took a walk around the car again - its VERY nice, and I was almost sold ... almost. Then I started asking questions about servicing, tyres, brakes etc. The servicing interval on this beast is every 12 months or 12k miles, which is alot shorter than the Beemer. The car, having only done 5k miles was on showing only 3mm of tyre tread, so they will need replaciing. The service guy said that they replace these frequently due to the soft compounds & heavy nose weight. So that's essentially a set of tyres per year @ £175 per tyre (not short of BMW money), but my experience is that BMW tyres last longer. Then the MPG. I clocked this at 32mpg on a combined cycle. So I'll give this the benefit of the doubt and call this 35-40 for good measure on longer runs. Far below the Ford spec, but then aren;t all cars!

So after various calculations, over 3 years, the BMW wins on cold hard cash - even taking into consideration depreciation. So, BMW it is, but only because of ongoing running costs, otherwise I'd have gone with the Mondeo. With all things taken into consideration, I worked out that the BMW costs 49p/mile and the Mondeo at 54p/mile

As I said - the Titanium X Sport is a VERY nice car, but has just been pipped at the post.


Did you check ford service costs though they are usually a lot cheaper than bmws.The tyre wear depends on the driver too and that car may have been driven hard.Tyres can be got a lot cheaper than that. :shock: Plus you will have to finance an extra 6k have you factored that into the equation ?
m330d
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 16203
Joined: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:23:35 UTC
Location: Derry Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby 535dBoy » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:51:18 UTC

mjg wrote:
535dBoy wrote:
mjg wrote:
535dBoy wrote:
mjg wrote:However the Mondeo in it's new incarnation is a very nice looking car - refined - but and here's the rub - they just don't have the same exclusivity of a BM


Really !?!??!

Hardly ever see a Mondeo in comparison to a 3er

the 3er is the Sierra of the late 200X years


Your opinion, which of course however flawed the basis of the facts and argument it is based on you are fully entitled to,

Not sure why you say that


Threads finished mate OP went with the BM


Sorry don't like your tone and I'm not your mate - you asked me to prove it and I did and other long establish members agreed with me

Thanks
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport
535dBoy
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 5332
Joined: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:52:09 UTC
Location: East Sussex
Wales (CM)

Postby BigJohnson » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:51:38 UTC

I thought of the tyre issue, so have removed the tyres from the calcs, and the Beemer still wins on cost.

Where does your mate get a fully maintained TitX Sport from for £450/month - that's a good deal!
BigJohnson
User

Posts: 29
Joined: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:08:55 UTC
Location: Midlands

Postby mjg » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:55:43 UTC

535dBoy wrote:
mjg wrote:
535dBoy wrote:
mjg wrote:
535dBoy wrote:
mjg wrote:However the Mondeo in it's new incarnation is a very nice looking car - refined - but and here's the rub - they just don't have the same exclusivity of a BM


Really !?!??!

Hardly ever see a Mondeo in comparison to a 3er

the 3er is the Sierra of the late 200X years


Your opinion, which of course however flawed the basis of the facts and argument it is based on you are fully entitled to,

Not sure why you say that


Threads finished mate OP went with the BM


Sorry don't like your tone and I'm not your mate - you asked me to prove it and I did and other long establish members agreed with me

Thanks


No worries I didn't like the patronising tone of your original post in response to mine that started with

"Really!?!?!?..."

Guess that makes us quits......

PS I joined in 2002 - how long established is that....
Last edited by mjg on Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:58:39 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
2004 BMW 320 Ci M-Sport auto - gone but not forgotten.
2009 Mazda MX-5 1.8i. - Jan's
mjg
Overdrive

User avatar

Posts: 492
Joined: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 00:52:08 UTC
Location: East Cleveland UK (where the men are men and the sheep are nervous)

Postby 535dBoy » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:57:26 UTC

BigJohnson wrote:I thought of the tyre issue, so have removed the tyres from the calcs, and the Beemer still wins on cost.

Where does your mate get a fully maintained TitX Sport from for £450/month - that's a good deal!


Hendy Hire in Eastbourne I believe, maybe plus VAT but as I say he is a business so can claim half of that back
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport
535dBoy
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 5332
Joined: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:52:09 UTC
Location: East Sussex
Wales (CM)

Postby mjg » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 22:02:42 UTC

BigJohnson wrote:I thought of the tyre issue, so have removed the tyres from the calcs, and the Beemer still wins on cost.

Where does your mate get a fully maintained TitX Sport from for £450/month - that's a good deal!


Deals like this are often available to business and company/lease users - regrettably though not always to Joe public.
2004 BMW 320 Ci M-Sport auto - gone but not forgotten.
2009 Mazda MX-5 1.8i. - Jan's
mjg
Overdrive

User avatar

Posts: 492
Joined: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 00:52:08 UTC
Location: East Cleveland UK (where the men are men and the sheep are nervous)

Postby BOYKEN » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 22:07:31 UTC

Have just been reading the dilemma, I have not driven the ford and probably never will, I have just put my e46 325i coupe in for a pre reg e92 320d sport coupe and this is by far the better car than the 325i I only use the car for pleasure so mainly short runs but getting 44+ mpg as apposed to 24 from the 325i, The 320d cost 26k with no miles on the car looks and handles suburb very pleased with it
Ken
2008 320d M sport coupe (black)
BOYKEN

Posts: 13
Joined: Tue, 25 May 2004 20:20:18 UTC
Location: GEORDY LAND

Postby Peter » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 22:18:18 UTC

The Mondeo is a good car and handles our roads better than a 3-series. Better compliance, even on sport suspension, allows a faster drive and feels more confident.

BigJohnson

Good decision, :wink: but do think your math is flawed by tyre wear/costs and fuel consumption. That car has been hammered to wear tyres like that. Also should be a 45mpg car on the combined cycle, if comparing to BMW figures, IMO.

Peter
Car: BMW F11 535i M-Sport Auto Touring
Peter
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

User avatar

Posts: 17137
Images: 0
Joined: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 09:26:55 UTC
Location: Highland

Postby BigJohnson » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 22:30:21 UTC

Peter wrote:
Good decision, :wink: but do think your math is flawed by tyre wear/costs and fuel consumption. That car has been hammered to wear tyres like that. Also should be a 45mpg car on the combined cycle, if comparing to BMW figures, IMO.

Peter


I've been checking those figures for the last hour to make sure. I could compare with 45mpg, but what's the point if the Mondy just doesn't product that in real life, or certainly didn't today. The Beemer I tested ran in at 47mpg.
Taking out the tyres & servicing - and IF the mpg's were the same, then the p/mile rate comes out about the same. hhmmmm
BigJohnson
User

Posts: 29
Joined: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:08:55 UTC
Location: Midlands

Postby Maggie318i » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 22:38:05 UTC

535dBoy wrote:
Maggie318i wrote:If you bought the Ford and the 3 Series pulled up next to you at the lights, how would you feel?


I know how I would...


How's that, chuffed you had some more money in the bank by having the mondeo?


Funnily enough, no. :wink:

Gutted I bought a classless box on wheels whilst the wise one in the lane next to me drives a prime example of German engineering.
Maggie318i
Advanced

Posts: 733
Joined: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 20:13:02 UTC

Postby ihpj » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 23:49:01 UTC

Tough one that. Even as you compare coupe vs. saloon, you are talking about two very different engines and cars.

I might be tempted with the Mondeo in that trim; drive it, enjoy it knowing that in these tough times I have that extra in the bank should I need it. Then in a few years time I would replace the mondeo with a BMW and truly appreciate how and why superior the BMW is and know that I will never contemplate buying anything else again ;)
ihpj
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 5529
Joined: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:42:57 UTC
Location: Buckinghamshire

PreviousNext

  • Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 3 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online

Users browsing this BMW forum: rocketron and 25 guests