BMW: E46 330d Lumpy Idle : BMW 3 series Forum • BMWLand

  BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount
  
  

E46 330d Lumpy Idle

BMW forum 3 series car: E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F31, F34, F35

Moderator: Moderators

E46 330d Lumpy Idle

Postby flymoripper » Fri, 16 Jan 2009 20:48:25 UTC

As of last week I started a new job which means a 120 mile round trip each day taking in the M3, M25, A3 and the mean streets of south London. All this means stop start traffic even on the M roads but at least the cars an auto.

When the car is warm it has developed a bit of a lumpy idle until you rev up to about 2k when it smooths out. It's only really obvious in the traffic and not always there either.

Could this be the injectors or a sensor problem of some sort?

The car is just about to turn 100k but had a recon engine 6k ago. The injectors weren't replaced.

Ta.
Nothing to see here......
flymoripper
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

User avatar

Posts: 1342
Joined: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:07:33 UTC
BMW Members Cars: E91 LCi 320d Sport Auto
Location: Hampshire
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby poppy sammy » Fri, 16 Jan 2009 21:21:17 UTC

try unplugging the maf sensor only as a quick test mind.Any difference?
poppy sammy
BMW Warlord

Posts: 6161
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 23:31:09 UTC

Postby Neil Bostock » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 02:03:34 UTC

Hi,

I am having the same trouble at the moment with rough idle and exactly how you describe, I had it looked at by a diesel expert and he said two possible three injectors need replacing.

Basicly when he plugged the lap top in it states something like smooth running control problem of which points to the injectors.

Then there is the price !!! I was qouted £120 each for recons so having to save the cash first then I'll get it done, he also said that when thay are replaced you will see one hell of a difference in power, smoothness and better mpg.

Hope this helps and to let you know you are not the only one suffering mate.

Best regards,

Neil.
Neil Bostock
User

User avatar

Posts: 19
Joined: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 05:18:27 UTC
Location: Tamworth

Postby aftaba » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 06:08:39 UTC

yep
sounds like injectors
mines doing the same
aftaba
Intermediate

Posts: 246
Joined: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:53:42 UTC

Postby flymoripper » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 13:10:59 UTC

I will try unplugging the maf.

I guess I should read the codes as well :oops: I've got a Peake gadget so I will take a look.

Ta.
Nothing to see here......
flymoripper
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

User avatar

Posts: 1342
Joined: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:07:33 UTC
BMW Members Cars: E91 LCi 320d Sport Auto
Location: Hampshire
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby poppy sammy » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 19:38:25 UTC

:lol: that would be a good idea(codereader) :wink: as others posted^^^^^could also be fuel injectors but i like to start with the cheaper options. :wink:
poppy sammy
BMW Warlord

Posts: 6161
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 23:31:09 UTC

I Hate Injectors

Postby b9lyy » Wed, 04 Feb 2009 16:59:48 UTC

:twisted:

Hi I am new to this site. I had exactly the same issues with my 2001 330d. With mine it used to emitt white smoke (unburnt diesel) and idle very rough . It is currently at a bmw specialist today and its gonna cost £430.... £250 for injector... £30 for diagnostic and £90 for fitting. Hopefully it will fly again...... :lol:
b9lyy
User

Posts: 14
Joined: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 13:41:43 UTC
Location: West Midlands

Postby flymoripper » Wed, 04 Feb 2009 22:10:59 UTC

Hi B9lyy, welcome along! :D

I tried unplugging the maf but that made no difference but I think there are other issues as there is a lack of urge below 2k rpm, then a puff of smoke after 2k and then it picks up.....


:roll:
Nothing to see here......
flymoripper
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

User avatar

Posts: 1342
Joined: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:07:33 UTC
BMW Members Cars: E91 LCi 320d Sport Auto
Location: Hampshire
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby poppy sammy » Thu, 05 Feb 2009 01:06:44 UTC

flymoripper wrote:Hi B9lyy, welcome along! :D

I tried unplugging the maf but that made no difference but I think there are other issues as there is a lack of urge below 2k rpm, then a puff of smoke after 2k and then it picks up.....


:roll:


loss of power below 2k is normally a "MAF" PROBLEM or should i say it was on "earlier models"

as m330d has posted on a different thread it could be the "egr pressure converter" hence this is advice and not a cure,as you "flymoripper" have a code reader what are your fault codes?
poppy sammy
BMW Warlord

Posts: 6161
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 23:31:09 UTC

Postby m330d » Thu, 05 Feb 2009 13:36:31 UTC

poppy sammy wrote:
flymoripper wrote:Hi B9lyy, welcome along! :D

I tried unplugging the maf but that made no difference but I think there are other issues as there is a lack of urge below 2k rpm, then a puff of smoke after 2k and then it picks up.....


:roll:


loss of power below 2k is normally a "MAF" PROBLEM or should i say it was on "earlier models"

as m330d has posted on a different thread it could be the "egr pressure converter" hence this is advice and not a cure,as you "flymoripper" have a code reader what are your fault codes?


Auto , vibration to 2k how are your manifold flaps. :cry: Id want to have a look if it was my car just to be sure they are ok.
m330d
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 16195
Joined: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:23:35 UTC
Location: Derry Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby flymoripper » Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:06:04 UTC

Auto , vibration to 2k how are your manifold flaps. :cry: Id want to have a look if it was my car just to be sure they are ok.


I really hope its not the flaps as the engine has only just been replaced after being wrecked by flaps last July :shock: It has a new manifold which I assume is the new improved type.

The codes don't show anything much aside from glow plug issues on all 6 cylinders and a 'rail pressure not plausible' code.

I'm sure that there must be a vac/air leak somewhere as from time to time there is hissing/whooshing/whistling sound (that's not the turbo as I can here that as well) when you accelerate from around 1.5k rpm until the turbo really kicks in at about 2.2k. I've not really had the chance to look around the engine yet though. The weather really isn't that good at the moment :wink:
Nothing to see here......
flymoripper
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

User avatar

Posts: 1342
Joined: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:07:33 UTC
BMW Members Cars: E91 LCi 320d Sport Auto
Location: Hampshire
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby m330d » Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:20:12 UTC

flymoripper wrote:
I really hope its not the flaps as the engine has only just been replaced after being wrecked by flaps last July :shock: It has a new manifold which I assume is the new improved type.

:


New manifold means no worries on that score.
If the turbo comes in late a look at the vac line to pressure resevoir,the pressure reservoir for cracks , and the turbo pc would be a good start.
If the rail pressure is fluctating a lot a high pressure pump crack is a possibility.Been 2 on here .
you would want to look at live data to see pressure at idle.

Id say injector issues are far more likely though cause of a rough idle.A smooth running test would show how they are working and if any need replaced.
m330d
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 16195
Joined: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:23:35 UTC
Location: Derry Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland (NI)

Injector replaced

Postby b9lyy » Fri, 06 Feb 2009 17:08:15 UTC

Got my 330d back yesterday after having the injector replaced.... WOW what a difference. it feels sooo smooth and power is back and now more rough idle... Total Cost £478.....


"Hi I am new to this site. I had exactly the same issues with my 2001 330d. With mine it used to emitt white smoke (unburnt diesel) and idle very rough . It is currently at a bmw specialist today and its gonna cost £430.... £250 for injector... £30 for diagnostic and £90 for fitting. Hopefully it will fly again...... Laughing"
b9lyy
User

Posts: 14
Joined: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 13:41:43 UTC
Location: West Midlands

Postby RSW » Sat, 07 Feb 2009 11:29:18 UTC

My 330d was running lumpy on hot idle but if you reved it and let it idle it was fine for about 30 seconds before it ran lumpy again.
My car had a plug in box to take the power to about 225bhp (apparently) and when I removed all that stuff it was much better.
RSW
Intermediate

Posts: 230
Images: 0
Joined: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:36:20 UTC
Location: EAST YORKSHIRE

Postby b9lyy » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:39:33 UTC

Gotz to be carefull with them tune boxes. All they do is fool up your sensors!!!!!!!! :o
b9lyy
User

Posts: 14
Joined: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 13:41:43 UTC
Location: West Midlands

Postby flymoripper » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:34:15 UTC

Car has been to the garage today and had a smooth running test. Injector no.3 is playing up and, in true dealer fashion, they are recommending all six be changed. Now, I will not be changing them all as I can't remortgage my house just yet :wink: but if one is replaced will it lead to the others failing more quickly?

I'd rather not fork out for all six so if I can replace one or two then great.

The glow plugs are also showing faults but I already have six new ones to install at some point. The car has also thrown up a MAF code but no fault is logged at the moment. :?
Nothing to see here......
flymoripper
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

User avatar

Posts: 1342
Joined: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:07:33 UTC
BMW Members Cars: E91 LCi 320d Sport Auto
Location: Hampshire
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby m330d » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:45:04 UTC

flymoripper wrote:Car has been to the garage today and had a smooth running test. Injector no.3 is playing up and, in true dealer fashion, they are recommending all six be changed. Now, I will not be changing them all as I can't remortgage my house just yet :wink: but if one is replaced will it lead to the others failing more quickly?

I'd rather not fork out for all six so if I can replace one or two then great.

The glow plugs are also showing faults but I already have six new ones to install at some point. The car has also thrown up a MAF code but no fault is logged at the moment. :?


Yes you can replace the faulty one, im sure they would like you to replace all 6 though. :lol: Be good to know what the numbers of the others were to see how well they are running.Maybe you could find out.The range is -5 to +4 and anything over +2 is ready for replacement.
If all glowplugs are showing faults it aint the glowplugs but the control of them.
m330d
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 16195
Joined: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:23:35 UTC
Location: Derry Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby flymoripper » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:52:35 UTC

The car is still at the garage as I couldn't pick it up this evening so I will hopefully take a look at the report tomorrow.

When the engine was recon'd it was noted that the glowplugs were a bit worn and cruddy but I didn't get them replaced at that time.
Nothing to see here......
flymoripper
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

User avatar

Posts: 1342
Joined: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:07:33 UTC
BMW Members Cars: E91 LCi 320d Sport Auto
Location: Hampshire
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby m330d » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:57:49 UTC

flymoripper wrote:The car is still at the garage as I couldn't pick it up this evening so I will hopefully take a look at the report tomorrow.

When the engine was recon'd it was noted that the glowplugs were a bit worn and cruddy but I didn't get them replaced at that time.


That would have been a good time to change them. :D
m330d
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 16195
Joined: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:23:35 UTC
Location: Derry Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby flymoripper » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 23:02:36 UTC

m330d wrote:
flymoripper wrote:The car is still at the garage as I couldn't pick it up this evening so I will hopefully take a look at the report tomorrow.

When the engine was recon'd it was noted that the glowplugs were a bit worn and cruddy but I didn't get them replaced at that time.


That would have been a good time to change them. :D


Yes, would have but it was costing more than enough money as it was without new 'plugs!! :shock:
Nothing to see here......
flymoripper
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

User avatar

Posts: 1342
Joined: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:07:33 UTC
BMW Members Cars: E91 LCi 320d Sport Auto
Location: Hampshire
United Kingdom (uk)

Next

  • Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 3 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online

Users browsing this BMW forum: Bing [Bot], dub320d, Google Adsense [Bot] and 31 guests