BMW: Z4 Wind Deflector Fitting : BMW Z series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2013                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

Z4 Wind Deflector Fitting

BMW forum Z Series car: Z1, Z3, M-Z3, Z4, Z8, Z9

Moderator: Moderators

Z4 Wind Deflector Fitting

Postby m.birtles » Wed, 14 May 2008 20:57:22 UTC

Hi,
does anybody know how easy it is to fit the wind deflector on the Z4 Roadster ?
BMW dealer reckons I have to book it in and have them fit it. It's £140 for the deflector and then extra for the fitting kit.
Can I just order the deflector and fitting kit and do it myself ? How much is the fitting kit anyway ?
I'm referring to the honeycomb one that clips on.....not the mesh one that just fits over the roll over bars !
Cheers. :D
If a person from Poland is called a Pole, then why is a person from Holland not called a Hole ??
m.birtles
User

Postby plowy » Thu, 15 May 2008 22:11:20 UTC

Mate pay the dealer NOTHING :!: :!: :!: :!: , The deflector itself fits between the roll hoops as i am sure you are aware, this just clips in and out of position, you might have to fit the clips to the roll hoops but the only other bits are what screw into the inside of the boot lid, this is just a place to store the deflector when not in use , if you can use a screwdriver you can fit it :!:
Z4M roadster.... :)
bye bye Silverstone E46 M3 :(
plowy
BMW Warlord

Postby m.birtles » Fri, 16 May 2008 15:42:29 UTC

Just had a phone call from Stratstone BMW and it's £140 for the deflector but with the fitting kit and the lot fitted by them it's a total of £365.............................................THREE SIX FIVE.........................HOW MUCH ?????????
I'll have to phone him back and ask how much for the fitting kit as well as the deflector and have a bash myself. My only worry is if I break the plastic covers on the roll over bars. You have to take these off so i'm told. Their labour cost is £110 per hour by the way !!!!!!.........PHEW !!!!!!
I know people say "Don't play if you don't wanna pay".......but that is a bit steep by anyone's mark.

:roll:
If a person from Poland is called a Pole, then why is a person from Holland not called a Hole ??
m.birtles
User

Postby audiolab » Sun, 18 May 2008 09:32:35 UTC

Hi there,

I recently fitted a OEM wind deflector to my 2008 Z4. It is not a hard job and as long as you take your time you really can’t go wrong.

There are two types of wind deflector available from BMW, the cheaper one is a kind of cloth and mesh which requires no dealer fit time and simply installs over the head rests and secures somewhere in the car. It is around £125 from the dealer, cheap but nasty looking in my opinion. Scroll down this page and its called “Wind deflector (Mesh)”

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/accessories/ ... uk,00.html

The second and preferred type is just above the Mesh one in the link above it is called “Wind deflector (Honeycomb)”. I was originally quoted around £450 supplied and fitted by the dealer just on a cold call so I looked around a bit. Bear in mind that if you do not already have this installed you need to replace the roll hoop covers as they need to be removed and doing so breaks the “one time fit” clips so if you are going to the dealer to buy this kit you need to factor in the cost of these.

I then found a site called SoCal Motorsport in the US who had the complete kit including the roll hoop covers for around £170 shipped. It arrived in under a week and I had it fitted in about an hour. The worst bit is removing the old roll hoop covers as you need to snap the clips and there is just something that feels so wrong about hearing snapping noises as you remove bits from your new car.

SoCal also sell on the bay, here is the kit I bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... OTORS:1123

If you have any concerns please e-mail them, I found them very helpful. They sent me a copy of the installation PDF which I still have if you want a copy.

Some additional info and opinions on this subject on the zpost forum here

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1077973

There is a third kind I found which seems quite good, a clear one from Roadster Solutions, I can’t give you any personal opinions on this other than to say they were helpful but I preferred the OEM one so went with that in the end.

http://64.225.94.154/ShopSite/page52.html

I hope this has helped, as plowy says above do not pay the dealer for this, If I did not feel I had the time or confidence I would pay a good indy first but honestly this is an easy job.

If you have any questions or want a copy of the installation PDF let me know.
Last edited by audiolab on Sun, 18 May 2008 09:37:07 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
audiolab
Intermediate

Postby audiolab » Sun, 18 May 2008 09:35:38 UTC

P.S The wind deflector is not installed on the pic in my avatar, I took that one on the way home from the dealer when I picked it up. Knowing what I know now I would have negotiated that into the deal. When I went back a couple of weeks later and explained I had recently purchased the car from them they reduced the price as much as they could (£300) but it still worked out cheaper ordering from the US and fitting myself.
Last edited by audiolab on Thu, 22 May 2008 11:25:31 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
audiolab
Intermediate

Postby m.birtles » Sun, 18 May 2008 17:29:01 UTC

If you can send me a copy of the installation guide that would be terrific. Thanks very much for your advice everybody ! :D
m.birtles
User

Postby audiolab » Sun, 18 May 2008 17:39:06 UTC

OK sent, let me know if you need anything else ot do not receive it.
audiolab
Intermediate

Postby nimbus1 » Thu, 22 May 2008 09:39:37 UTC

thinking about getting a z4. it has a hard top so dnt know how much i will have it off, but im sure i will.....lol

is it imperative then that u have a windbreaker? i would only be travelling locally in fairness....please advise......

cheers
nimbus1
Intermediate

Postby audiolab » Thu, 22 May 2008 11:21:13 UTC

All I can say is because it is a large expense I really recommend you try it for yourself first and see how you feel. I don't do a lot of motorway driving and thought it wouldn't be that bad without a deflector. This is true to an extent, below 40 mph with the roof down it is bearable, however while the wind turbulence itself is not too strong the wind noise was too much for me to bear, I couldn’t hear myself think let alone listen to the radio. I went a decent run when I just picked it up (before getting the deflector), temp outside was around 14 degrees but with the heated seats it felt fine. That night I had one hell of a sore ear from the wind blowing in it and that is what sold the deflector for me.

When fitted the wind deflector provides a big difference in both wind buffeting and noise (in my opinion). The clear inserts you fit into the roll hoops (which is why you need to replace these) also have a coat hook built into them. I don’t use them that much but from time to time it is handy to have them there when you leave the house with a jacket on and it then turns super warm, saves throwing it in the boot. Not a reason to buy it on it’s own but a nice feature.

Don’t know where you are located but if you are anywhere near me I could take you out a run with and without the deflector fitted, other then that take a trip to your dealer and ask them for a test drive. With it in place I can happily sit at motorway speeds with the roof down and not feel like I am in a wind tunnel, critical temp seems to be around 15 degrees, anything below is too cold for me and the roof stays up.

Again personal opinion, I would not order another Z4 without the deflector, to me it is worth every penny and I do not see why BMW do not fit these as standard. Perhaps it is different on a 3 series cab as they have a back seat and rear window to extend the cabin area but on the Z4 there is no protection.

Hope this helps.

Martin.
audiolab
Intermediate

Postby m.birtles » Thu, 22 May 2008 18:32:44 UTC

Thanks for the PDF file Audiolab.....................luvverly! Just had a look at SoCAL wind deflector link that you mentioned on E-Bay. What exactly do you get for your $319.45 US Dollars ?? Is it the full 'shaboodle' ?? :D
m.birtles
User

Postby audiolab » Thu, 22 May 2008 19:12:12 UTC

Hi there,

No problem at all. glad it helped you see what’s involved.

You indeed get the full shaboodle, everything listed on the PDF including parts L and M (The roll hoop covers which the PDF says is not included in the kit). I guess Socal added these parts to make a complete kit to retail. They also offer the roll hoop covers in a silver or chrome finish although I am not sure if the chrome finish costs more (it just says please enquire on the auction).

In addition they also include the “inner closing rings” step 3 the second picture down (page 5). I did not need to use these parts as the ones that were on the car were not marked at all during removal, but a nice thought to include them just in case you do need them. (Edit - All parts were OEM in bags with the BMW part numbers on them)

I ordered on the Monday evening and they provided full tracking details on Wednesday night, taking into account their location and time difference that was quick. I got the package the following Wednesday and it was well packed and all undamaged.

Honestly I do not work for them I just found them spot on for service and value. Their support guys were quick to respond and I would buy form them again. I nearly bought the centre piece alone on an e-bay auction I spotted and was then planning on going to go to the dealer to buy the other parts, I am very glad I didn’t.

If you need anything further you know where to find me.
Last edited by audiolab on Thu, 22 May 2008 19:30:54 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
audiolab
Intermediate

Postby audiolab » Thu, 22 May 2008 19:23:52 UTC

Don't know if you read down the whole e-mail I sent you but as you can see at the bottom they charged $47.90 for shipping so total cost was $367.35 after conversion the total that hit my statement was £188.03.
audiolab
Intermediate

Postby m.birtles » Fri, 23 May 2008 12:54:34 UTC

Yeah, even with the shipping included it's still miles cheaper than dealer quoted. Me thinks i'll be spanking the credit card then this weekend. If I struggle with the fitting i'll give you a shout mate. Top man audiolab !
m.birtles
User

Postby audiolab » Fri, 23 May 2008 15:34:34 UTC

Absolutely no problem buddy, that's what this site is all about, shared knowledge and experience. Due to my job I am never that far from a computer so by all means give me a shout if you do need a hand or advice. The only advice I would give is check, check and check again before you fit those new roll hoop covers, they are one time fit and if you get the centre section the wrong way round or forget to fit it you will need to bust them back off and that means more money...wait till you have plenty of time, don't rush it and you will be fine.

Worst part for you is still to come, the wait between ordering and receiving the kit. When I got mine it was bouncing for a few days and I had ants in my pants wanting to fit it (no garage). when I did get it fitted I was pleased with myself both for saving a lot of dosh and the fact that it looks like it was a factory fit.

Looking at the car in your sig it looks stunning in red and I also really like those wheels. I remember your post when you bought it, hope you are enjoying Z ownership, I really thought I might find it hard to live with but every time I get in and fire her up it brings a smile to my face.

Have a nice bank holiday weekend (although we don’t get it here in Scotland) and I hope everything goes as smooth for you as it did for me.

As I said before you know where to find me.

Martin.
audiolab
Intermediate

Postby m.birtles » Sat, 24 May 2008 13:00:10 UTC

Thanks martin. Yeah it does look beautiful in Bright Red. You don't see many around in that colour. Just nipped down to the dealer to get a paint stick for stone chips (you never know). It's handy to have one around I guess. Funnily enough it's the one colour they don't stock 'cos they don't sell many ! :lol:
Suppose everyone goes for the 'safe' colours like black, silver etc. Maybe I would have done if i'd have ordered it from the dealer brand new !
One thing 'bout the dealer that makes me laugh is that they don't have a coffee machine but a bl**dy coffee lounge !! What's goin' on there then ? I don't remember seeing one of those at the Skoda dealer when my Taxi goes in for service ! :lol:
Take care mate ! :wink:
m.birtles
User

Postby m.birtles » Sun, 25 May 2008 07:44:15 UTC

Oh....summat that's been buggin' me................ever since buying this car, all the bl**dy neighbours have stopped talkin' to me and the mrs !! Has anyone else had this problem ??..........Do people really care what cars people buy to plonk on their drive ?? :?
m.birtles
User

Postby audiolab » Mon, 26 May 2008 17:57:24 UTC

m.birtles wrote:Thanks martin. Yeah it does look beautiful in Bright Red. You don't see many around in that colour. Just nipped down to the dealer to get a paint stick for stone chips (you never know). It's handy to have one around I guess. Funnily enough it's the one colour they don't stock 'cos they don't sell many ! :lol:
Suppose everyone goes for the 'safe' colours like black, silver etc. Maybe I would have done if i'd have ordered it from the dealer brand new !
One thing 'bout the dealer that makes me laugh is that they don't have a coffee machine but a bl**dy coffee lounge !! What's goin' on there then ? I don't remember seeing one of those at the Skoda dealer when my Taxi goes in for service ! :lol:
Take care mate ! :wink:

Yeah coffee lounge and free soft drinks and internet, guess that's why they charge a fortune. to be honest it's those nice touches that I go for. Some would call me a sap but I would prefer to sit somewhere comfy and have a nice wait rather than a smelly reception with plastic patio chairs and klicks powdered coffee, I usually grab a nice cold bottle of water when I am leaving for the 40 minute journey home which is appreciated as it saves me stopping at at garage.
Last edited by audiolab on Mon, 26 May 2008 18:57:50 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
audiolab
Intermediate

Postby audiolab » Mon, 26 May 2008 18:11:42 UTC

m.birtles wrote:Oh....summat that's been buggin' me................ever since buying this car, all the bl**dy neighbours have stopped talkin' to me and the mrs !! Has anyone else had this problem ??..........Do people really care what cars people buy to plonk on their drive ?? :?

I stay in a street where there is not the "keep up with the Jones’s" mentality. Its not a new build (as you can see from the pics below) therefore there is a more mixed range of old and young people. We all get on great and I have had nothing but appreciation and "lets have a look under the bonnet" questions. We look out for each other, take parcels in for each other and keep an eye on the houses particularly when someone is on holiday, if anyone came round our street and done the cars lets say Charles Bronson style justice would take place. Some of the guys I work with stay in the new builds close by and by the way they talk it sounds like they spend more time envying each other rather than enjoying life.

I was out and gave it a clean at the weekend and I took a picture with the wind deflector fitted to show you how the finished article looks.

Oh and another shot just because I liked this one…

So did you go for it and order the kit or are you still undecided?
audiolab
Intermediate

Postby m.birtles » Thu, 29 May 2008 11:43:26 UTC

I was going to order it but Mrs wants to get a couple of bills out the way first. But I will definitely be purchasing. Your car looks bang on mate. Like the photos ! :wink:
m.birtles
User

Postby audiolab » Thu, 29 May 2008 13:45:59 UTC

Cheers mate, sounds sensible to me, the best time to do these things is when you don't have other things to pay.

Let me know if you need anything at all when it does come time to do it, meantime enjoy your car and screw the neighbours (not literally of course):lol:
audiolab
Intermediate

Next

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW Z series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online