BMW: Tyre pressure warning... but no puncture : BMW 3 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

Tyre pressure warning... but no puncture

BMW forum 3 series car: E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F31, F34, F35

Moderator: Moderators

Tyre pressure warning... but no puncture

Postby agh » Wed, 07 May 2008 10:04:00 UTC

*Sigh*
Sodding new fangled technology, probably going wrong, going to pop into the dealer at lunch time to have this checked out.
Started up this morning, as soon as I'm moving, low tyre pressure warning comes up. Pulled over, no tyres look flat (I don't have run-flats remember) so I checked all the pressures using the pressure gauge on the foot pump I carry in the car - which is pretty accurate, all pressures are bang on.
Reset the warning 3 times, warning will not clear, drive a bit, stop, reset it again, give up and drive to work with the red warning in my face all the way in :roll:
Suddenly terrified at the prospect of something like an E60 with all that i-drive techie stuff in it to go wrong and no warranty, do I really want a 5 series.... :huh2:
Adrian
Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 Diesel S 272bhp Premium Luxury + XFR sports seats & Reversing camera.
November 2005 to August 2013: E91 320d SE (Touring).
agh
BMW Warlord

BMW Members Cars: Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 Diesel S Premium Luxury
Ford S-Max 2.0 163bhp Diesel Titanium
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby porty » Wed, 07 May 2008 10:14:10 UTC

I'm guessing that you've told the car that the tyres are OK in the same way that you do after you've pumped them up. As I understand it, after driving a bit the car assesses the circumference of each of the tyres, posting the puncture warning message whenever the rotation of one of the tyres is not consistent with the others. I'm guessing that resetting the puncture warning message is different to telling the car that the pressures are OK, if you see what I mean? - have you tried the latter?
Audi S4 3.0 V6 TFSI Quattro in Brilliant Red 328bhp
porty
User

Postby agh » Wed, 07 May 2008 10:24:30 UTC

porty wrote:I'm guessing that you've told the car that the tyres are OK in the same way that you do after you've pumped them up. As I understand it, after driving a bit the car assesses the circumference of each of the tyres, posting the puncture warning message whenever the rotation of one of the tyres is not consistent with the others. I'm guessing that resetting the puncture warning message is different to telling the car that the pressures are OK, if you see what I mean? - have you tried the latter?

The pressure warning is supposed to trigger with an approximate 30% drop in pressure from a wheel measured by difference in wheel rotation speeds (as you say, will change if a change on tyre circumference). A reset tells the system to get itself a new baseline for measurement over the next period of driving, 10 to 15 seconds sticks in mind, but I'm not sure.

Resetting the puncture warning / "telling the car pressures are OK" - I was not aware there was a difference here, are they not one and the same thing?
Adrian
Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 Diesel S 272bhp Premium Luxury + XFR sports seats & Reversing camera.
agh
BMW Warlord

United Kingdom (uk)

Re: Tyre pressure warning... but no puncture

Postby poppy sammy » Wed, 07 May 2008 10:26:31 UTC

agh! wrote:*Sigh*
Sodding new fangled technology, probably going wrong, going to pop into the dealer at lunch time to have this checked out.

Not to worry will only be flat at the bottom :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

not 100% on this but i'm sure that there is a reset button (if you know where it is)you have to hold in for a set time

ahhhhhh

try this

1 turn ignition key to position 2 (dont start engine)

2 keep button pressed until the warning light remains on for a several seconds

3 after the car has been driven for several minutes,the rdc system should accept the current tyre pressures as
nominal values which the system will then monitor!

this is of course assuming tyres are at the correct pressure to begin with :wink:
poppy sammy
BMW Warlord

Re: Tyre pressure warning... but no puncture

Postby agh » Wed, 07 May 2008 10:36:35 UTC

1 turn ignition key to position 2 (dont start engine)
I'll try putting the key fob in and pressing the start button without clutch depressed so the engine does not start. That's as close as I can get to this procedure, no turny type conventional keys and ignition barrels in the E90/E91/E92/E93

2 keep button pressed until the warning light remains on for a several seconds
Are we talking the BC button on the end of the indicator stalk once the TPMS reset mode is selected? I'll try that.

3 after the car has been driven for several minutes,the rdc system should accept the current tyre pressures as
nominal values which the system will then monitor!

No problem here.

The pressures are correct, or were just after I first had the warning.
I'll sneak out of work and try this shortly.
Adrian
agh
BMW Warlord

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby agh » Wed, 07 May 2008 12:39:45 UTC

Oh bugger. I thought I knew how to reset the TPMS, but now know it has never been done on my car in it's life, even after tyre changes etc.
I read the car user manual 3 times when I first got it too :oops:

1. Key fob in, press start button, can start engine if you want to but must be staionary.
2. Select TPMS reset mode on the OBC (click indicator stalk knurled knob down a few times to get to it).
3. Press and release the BC button on the end of the indicator stalk, a small triangle next to the word RESET dissappears.
4. Press this button in again and hold it in until a ticked tick box appears next to RESET.
5. Drive the car, the system resets itself self over a few miles.

Interesting that it triggered the warning in the first place, accord to the BMW tech. I've been to see this morning, sometimes sunlight can heat up one tyre enough to trigger it. I did have one rear tyre bathed in sun light this morning. I don't see how this can result in a 30% difference, but since the TPMS has never been reset before by me, who knows what state it was in the begin with.
Adrian
agh
BMW Warlord

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby poppy sammy » Wed, 07 May 2008 19:28:37 UTC

agh! wrote:Oh :banned:. I thought I knew how to reset the TPMS, but now know it has never been done on my car in it's life, even after tyre changes etc.

1. Key fob in, press start button, can start engine if you want to but must be staionary.
2. Select TPMS reset mode on the OBC (click indicator stalk knurled knob down a few times to get to it).
3. Press and release the BC button on the end of the indicator stalk, a small triangle next to the word RESET dissappears.
4. Press this button in again and hold it in until a ticked tick box appears next to RESET.
5. Drive the car, the system resets itself self over a few miles.

Interesting that it triggered the warning in the first place, accord to the BMW tech. I've been to see this morning, sometimes sunlight can heat up one tyre enough to trigger it. I did have one rear tyre bathed in sun light this morning. I don't see how this can result in a 30% difference, but since the TPMS has never been reset before by me, who knows what state it was in the begin with.

hey got there in the end sorry about info mines 320d e46 :lol: key not button :) still got you on the right track for the record had all my tyres changed and never had to reset :roll:
poppy sammy
BMW Warlord

Postby Peter » Thu, 08 May 2008 08:27:44 UTC

agh! wrote:Oh :banned:. I thought I knew how to reset the TPMS, but now know it has never been done on my car in it's life, even after tyre changes etc.

Adrian... Just seen this post... 'ooops' it is.

Wonder how many others haven't set their systems either.

I can be all smug here, as I photo copied and laminated the reset page when experimenting with pressures and wheels, and keep it in the glove box for instant reference. :wink:

Peter
Car: BMW F11 535i M-Sport Auto Touring
Peter
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Postby agh » Thu, 08 May 2008 09:55:51 UTC

Peter wrote:...
I can be all smug here, as I photo copied and laminated the reset page when experimenting with pressures and wheels, and keep it in the glove box for instant reference. :wink:

Peter

... because of course the whole user manual doesn't fit in the glove box :roll:
I think that's my problem, read the manual a lot when I first got the car and then stored it away at home so much is forgotten :oops:

On a related subject -
The BMW tech told me my rear tyres were down to 2-3mm (which I knew) after only 18,000 miles on non-run-flat contit's. After 15,000 miles the run-flat conti's I had on the rear still had 5mm of tread on them even though the fronts were dead due to outside edge wear.
Trying to make sense of that one, but my daily commute is rarely the same route one half year to the next so it could be down to more winding country road driving over the last 15 months. One thing that is certain, it is not due to poorly maintained tyre pressures.
Adrian
agh
BMW Warlord

United Kingdom (uk)

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 3 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online