BMW: Infinity Speaker Upgrade in an E46 coupe : BMW Car Audio Forum: ICE - In Car Entertainment • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

Infinity Speaker Upgrade in an E46 coupe

BMW In Car entertainment Audio: Discuss your BMW car radios, BMW car phones, BMW iPOD, iPhone, BMW bluetooth, BMW Audio, DAB, MP3 etc

Moderator: Moderators

Infinity Speaker Upgrade in an E46 coupe

Postby ccfj1 » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:11:23 UTC

Well, I finally managed to do the speaker upgrade on the car.

Used this as a guide guide.

I bought some Infinity Reference 5002i Speakers from eBay and some speaker adapters and started.

ImageImage

Adapters;

First off, I don't really like cutting the OEM plugs off the cars loom, so i soldered some crimps on to some speaker cable and soldered them to the speakers, I then soldered the crimps as well (for a good connection).

I also wrapped the wire in harness tape so i won't get any rattles or suchlike.

Modded Speakers;

As you can see I had to modify the crimps so that I could use them with the cars loom connector, (i flattened the ends out and then cut and shaped them).

I then fitted the rears first

Ready to install

OEM

Fitting

Fitted

Now on to the fronts

Every thing was pretty straight forward, but here were a couple of gotchas, first one was the rear speaker covers, the tweeter sits a bit proud of the speaker so it caught the grill, so I got the hairdryer out and heated the cover (in the right place), then made a bulge, this was just enough to clear the grill.

Second was the tweeter in the door card, this is connected to the speaker via a small plug, so rather than mess about I just cut the plug off and soldered the lead to the (modded) speaker lead I had made up.

Also, i had to cut the rasied lugs off the rear speaker adapters as the screws were not long enough with the lugs there.

Reassembled the door cards and refitted to door, I must say the difference is quite marked, the sound is much more crisp and clear, absolutely no distortion coupled with the Sony SOT amp it's how the system should sound from the factory.
53, M3, Silver Grey. Reto-fits: Modded Mk4 DVD Drive, OEM Bluetooth, VR Control, Rainbow Speakers, Sony SOT Amp, CCFL, Intravee II, NightMode
ccfj1
BMW Warlord

Postby global_ste » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:02:55 UTC

I can vouch for this, i heard this setup at the weekend and the sound was quite simply frighteningly superior and sounded more like the BOSE system on her indoors' boxster.

If you're after the best bang for buck on your stock system i reckon you'd be hard pressed to beat this.
320Cd M-Sport in Sparkling Graphite. Mostly cycle everywhere though.
global_ste
Intermediate

Postby awhite » Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:27:41 UTC

What did you do with the tweeters in the door. Did you leave them connected?

Cheers,

Andy
awhite
User

Postby ccfj1 » Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:33:24 UTC

awhite wrote:What did you do with the tweeters in the door. Did you leave them connected?

Yeah they are still connected, (I soldered them lead to the modded speaker harness that I made up) I'll replace them at some point with something decent.

HTH
53, M3, Silver Grey. Reto-fits: Modded Mk4 DVD Drive, OEM Bluetooth, VR Control, Rainbow Speakers, Sony SOT Amp, CCFL, Intravee II, NightMode
ccfj1
BMW Warlord

Postby big dave » Thu, 27 Mar 2008 23:28:35 UTC

Where did you get the speaker adapters from.?
Dave W...

Bmw E70 X5 Xdrive35d.
Bmw E30 race car.
Renault Clio Trophy.
big dave
Intermediate
Site Supporter

Postby ccfj1 » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 08:11:35 UTC

Big Dave, Check your PM mate
ccfj1
BMW Warlord

Postby srobrien » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:51:19 UTC

I have just bought that exact setup, cant wait to get them installed.
Have you got an ipod adapter?
srobrien
Overdrive

Postby big dave » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:55:30 UTC

ccfj1.
Thanks. much apreciated.... :D :D :D
Dave W...

Bmw E70 X5 Xdrive35d.
Bmw E30 race car.
Renault Clio Trophy.
big dave
Intermediate
Site Supporter

Postby ccfj1 » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:18:55 UTC

srobrien wrote:I have just bought that exact setup, cant wait to get them installed.

Have fun :)

Have you got an ipod adapter?

No, I don't have one, CD are Ok for me.
ccfj1
BMW Warlord

Postby vtec160bhp » Fri, 04 Apr 2008 22:37:27 UTC

Nice write up ccfj1 are they powered by amp or head unit?
vtec160bhp
Intermediate

Postby ccfj1 » Sat, 05 Apr 2008 09:54:53 UTC

vtec160bhp wrote:Nice write up ccfj1

Thanks.

are they powered by amp or head unit?

I have a Sony SOT amp installed, so amp.
ccfj1
BMW Warlord

Postby vtec160bhp » Sun, 06 Apr 2008 17:47:53 UTC

can you install the Sony SOT Amp to a After Market Stereo?
I have got the Pioneer Avic X1 R.
I am going to install some Component speaker at the front and Back .
I just want a simple Solution for some extra Boost.
vtec160bhp
Intermediate

Postby ccfj1 » Sun, 06 Apr 2008 18:00:42 UTC

Yes, the Sony SOT amp comes with standard ISO connectors so it should be plug and play, (between the loom and the Pioneer Avic X1 R).
ccfj1
BMW Warlord

Postby vtec160bhp » Sun, 06 Apr 2008 21:52:28 UTC

Thanks again ccfj1
vtec160bhp
Intermediate

Postby 0836whimper » Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:19:17 UTC

Good guide.

Presumably component speakers would be preferable for the front and co-axial for the back ?

I'm looking for a suitable set myself, for a touring. Trying to work out the correct size/spec, maybe be JL TR's or Boston SX60's....
0836whimper
User

Postby ccfj1 » Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:30:10 UTC

0836whimper wrote:Good guide.

Presumably component speakers would be preferable for the front and co-axial for the back ?

Yes, that would be an option, there should be enough space on the back of the door card to house the x-overs and mount the tweeter in the correct grill position (handle).

I'm looking for a suitable set myself, for a touring. Trying to work out the correct size/spec, maybe be JL TR's or Boston SX60's....

They both sound ideal, the only reason i went for the 13cm (5.1/4") speakers was;

A: I got 4 or the same size together as a buy now (eBay).
B: There were adapters available and it was plug and play (size wise).

You can put 6" speakers in the front and rears, but you need be to careful with the depth and then the fitting.
ccfj1
BMW Warlord

Postby 0836whimper » Mon, 05 May 2008 10:24:52 UTC

Right, installed some Infinity 5010 components in the front yesterday, combined with the Blaupunkt THA amp and.......overall I am disappointed. They sound clean and the treble is very good, but is so lacking in any bass I think I prefer the original speakers, they were punchier.

The fitting took hours, despite the tips which were helpful. The door cards came off easy enough following the Bavarian Soundwerks step-by-step, the tweeters were a direct replacement (I used the original mountings) and I used sticky velcro to mount the crossovers in the depression in the doors. I got some longer bolts to take the adaptors into acount (rather than chop the lugs off). I also put the original speaker-back foam on the new speakers, there is a perforated section that come out to get it over the larger magnets.

I've got some coaxials for the back coming too, but I might ditch that idea and put the originals back in. I have also messed about with the level and low and high pass filter settings on the amp, but no improvement.
0836whimper
User

Postby shaikh » Wed, 02 Jul 2008 14:39:59 UTC

if you are after good sound with no distortion you should install a sub. I installed two fusion 10 inch subs in my e34 with components and it sounds amazing. Having the subs means that the subs can do all the base whils leaving the components to do all the mid range and high frequencies.
shaikh
Intermediate

United Kingdom (uk)

speakers

Postby jubblyjulie » Wed, 02 Jul 2008 18:42:11 UTC

I have the normal business stereo in my e46 conv and the stereodoesnt sound very brill is it the speakers or the stereo
jubblyjulie
User

Postby ccfj1 » Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:11:07 UTC

The radio is actually not bad, it lacks a few of the AM HU's features but sound production wise it's OK.

Upgrading the speakers will make a big difference, coupled with a SOT amp the results (in my case) were dramatic, very pleased.

I may look at upgrading the fronts to component jobbies at some point, just for that little extra umph.

I will be adding a small subwoofer, just to add a small amount of bass, I don't want earth shaking bass, so a small active sub will do me.

HTH
ccfj1
BMW Warlord

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW Car Audio Forum: ICE - In Car Entertainment

BMWLand: Who is online