BMW: 4x4 Warning light on dash!!! Help!!! : BMW X1, X3, X5 & X6 Series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

4x4 Warning light on dash!!! Help!!!

BMW forum X1/X3/X5/X6 series car: E83, E53, E70, E71, F15

Moderator: Moderators

4x4 Warning light on dash!!! Help!!!

Postby jimbo1976 » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:23:09 UTC

Hi folk, I have just been greeted by the 4x4 warning light on my dashboard!!! Have any of you experienced this?? Coincidently, the tyre pressure monitor light is also illuminated. Can't seem to re-set it. I think I may have an ABS sensor away as the pressures are all equal? Also, when I bought the car a couple of weeks ago, the front tyres had just been replaced and the back two are just about on the wear indicators, I always thought on 4 wheel drive cars it was good practice to replace them in sets of 4 (I have 2 brand new ones in the boot to be fitted tomorrow!)? Could this be a factor? Any info would be appreciated, best regards, Jim.
jimbo1976
User

Postby gmc15 » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:44:37 UTC

What does the light look like? I can't find any 4x4 light in my handbook.
Yes it is good policy to change all 4 tyres at a time - but it's well expensive :)

Graeme.
gmc15
Overdrive

BMW Members Cars: Jaguar XF 3.0D S
England (EN)

Postby jimbo1976 » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:13:26 UTC

It's right in the middle of the rev counter and the speedo, although a little bit lower. You notice it if you just turn the ignition on without starting the car. My mate re-set it for me with his diagnostic computer and it has stayed of for over an hour now, but I hate warning lights!!!! The scare me!!! Lol. I assume it's something to do with the drive system of the car, but not too sure. I checked the tyre pressures again and one was a little low, but I would not have thought it would have made much of a difference.

The tyres are expensive, but I managed to buy a couple of Michelin Diamaris rears from a guy on Flea bay for £300!!! Brand new. They arrived this morning and he has another two pairs for sale. These, as I am sure you know, retail at £195 each!! Well, thats the best price I could find in the Glasgow area. I just typed 285 45 19 and they came up!! My mate will fit them for £20 so it's a good saving.
jimbo1976
User

Postby gmc15 » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:27:29 UTC

Does it look like a triangle with a circle/arrow around it (which is Dyanamic stability control) or a graghic of a car with an arrow pointing up and down ( self leveling suspension)?
gmc15
Overdrive

BMW Members Cars: Jaguar XF 3.0D S
England (EN)

Postby TheEnd » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 19:22:18 UTC

just from reading the title, the first thing i thought of was "have the tyres been changed recently?"

the slight variance in rolling circumference between worn and brand new tyres is confusing the speed sensors on each wheel, and some type pressure warning systems do use changes in diameters of the tyre, and therefore a quick changed in rolling speed as a trigger.

ie, when a tyre loses pressure, it's rolling circumference becomes smaller, far faster than from just general wear. the car takes this as the tyre has recently lost pressure.
i wasn't sure if BMW used this method, but it could well be linked
TheEnd
Advanced

England (EN)

Postby iguassu » Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:07:12 UTC

Don't know if you have resolved this yet but I had a similar problem from about 5000 miles onwards.
The car was back into dealer a number of times and they changed the OBC three times to overcome the mysterious unlocking during the night and to try to stop the right rear window from opening during the night for no apparent reason.
Regarding the actual issues with the 4x4 failure warning and the tyre deflation warnings...........
After resetting the tyre warning you need to drive for some 20 miles for the system to stabilise correctly, if not then it will probably continue to trip on especially after going around a bumpy corner...!!
The 4x4 light warning is either a wheelspin related problem or more likely a steering zero sensor not being correctly set. It is the sensor that informs the OBC etc that the steering is pointing straight ahead.
Have the dealer reset/recalibrate the steering sensor and you problem will probably go away.
If the 4x4 warning comes on...........Stop the car, turn off ingition and remove the keys, open the driver's door, close the door and lock the car with the remote fob. Wait until the alarm red light under interior mirror starts flashing, unlock the car, put keys into ignition and turn on the ignition but do not crank the engine. When the dash light/symbols have all cleared, press in the tyre warning reset button in centre console and hold it until the tyre warning changes through the colours and goes off. Turn off ignition and remove key. Open door, close door and lock the car again. Unlock car open and close door and start the car. It is all reset at that point. If the 4x4 or tyre warning comes on again then either there is a genuine fault or the steering sensor is out of alignment.
Phew....!!
I used to have to go throught the above procedure three to four times a day until they reset the steering sensors correctly.
Best of luck and hope the above helps.
BTW - the steering sensor issue does not appear in the on board faults record in the computer since it is not regarded as a fault.
Hmmmmm.......!
iguassu

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW X1, X3, X5 & X6 Series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online