BMW: Slight shudder when I move off....anyone else have this??? : BMW 1 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact: [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

Slight shudder when I move off....anyone else have this???

BMW Forum 1 series car: E87, E81, E87, E88, F20

Moderator: Moderators

Slight shudder when I move off....anyone else have this???

Postby deanmorgan » Tue, 01 May 2007 11:26:48 UTC

Hi Everyone,

I have not been in this forum for a while now as my 120d M Sport seems to be trouble free....well thats what I thought till this morning!!

When I start the car and oull off in 1st gear I get a slight shudder until the car reaches a certain speed. It feels like that you are not giving the car enough gas but even if I do I still get this very annoying shudder!!

Only happens in 1st gear..all other gear changes are normal!!

Anyway anyone else seen this issue???

Looks like my 120 is on its way back again to the stealers!! :oops: :x :x
deanmorgan
User

Postby slim_boy_fat » Tue, 01 May 2007 15:30:30 UTC

Not sure if the 1 series has a CDV as on the 5s, if so that could account for it.

Otherwise, back to square one I suppose................ :cry:
Never underestimate the power of thrawn.
slim_boy_fat
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Scotland (SC)

Postby ihpj » Fri, 04 May 2007 08:33:32 UTC

Are you sure its nothing more than a litle diesel judder for a DERV? I know that they can judder a little mroet han a petrol sometimes which can lead Petrol Folk to think the clutch is on its way out (or something). Are you a true DERV Nut? Or is this yur first DERV - could simply be different characteristics of the car.

Thought I'd put it out there ...
ihpj
BMW Warlord

Postby nashdm2 » Sat, 05 May 2007 11:13:25 UTC

I am sure this is just a little clutch judder that I get in my 3 series, once warmed up, it does not do it much....................
nashdm2
Overdrive

Postby neal wood » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:01:42 UTC

Dean

I had a similar problem with my Z4 manual. I thought it was the clutch but I found it was only when the seat had been moved after wife had driven or cleaning and its just down to the position of your foot/leg angle. Try changing the seat position and see if it goes away...
neal wood

Postby erny » Sun, 10 Jun 2007 11:07:27 UTC

On some e90 and e87 deisel models they did suffer with with clutch/dual mass flywheel issues get yourself down to your local dealer they should be able to identify if this is a problem or just the norm.
erny
User

Postby erny » Sun, 10 Jun 2007 11:08:04 UTC

On some e90 and e87 deisel models they did suffer with with clutch/dual mass flywheel issues get yourself down to your local dealer they should be able to identify if this is a problem or just the norm.
erny
User

Juddery 120d

Postby Bumps » Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:15:42 UTC

Hi,

My 120d Sport does the same, typically when in stop-start traffic on the motorway. It only seems to happen when moving off slowly, and after a driving for a while ie when everything's hot. Smart step-offs don't seem to affect it so it's one I'm keeping my eye on. Good luck and I'll be interested to hear what happens with your visit to the dealer.
Bumps
User

Postby Mablake » Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:52:55 UTC

Hi there, I'm new to this site and i'm having the same judder problems on starting off from my 1:20i sport on a 55 plate with 15k on the clock.

My local dealership require me to sign a authorisation form to enable them to rip out the gearbox. If they do not find anything i'll be left with a 4 hour labour bill.

I've asked if someone can test drive the vehicle i.e. one of their mechanics as they must drive 100's of 1 series every year and should know if the clutch/flywheel is faulty on my car.

Has anyone else (apart from the diesel people) had problems with the petrol model and if so what happened?

I'll await any replys
Mablake

Postby Doctor » Fri, 18 Jul 2008 08:12:22 UTC

I have reported the same problem on my 1.6i petrol 17k. Before I got to discussing an adjustment at the oil service the service dept suggested that the clutch may require replacing :? and they are now going to replace the clutch.
In the past I have had to fight over getting things like this sorted on new cars, is there a known problem or are they just bumping up warranty work to keep their workshop busy (cynical me)

Doc.
Doctor
User

Postby Doctor » Fri, 18 Jul 2008 08:14:38 UTC

Doctor wrote:I have reported the same problem on my 1.6i petrol 17k. Before I got to discussing an adjustment at the oil service the service dept suggested that the clutch may require replacing :? and they are now going to replace the clutch.
In the past I have had to fight over getting things like this sorted on new cars, is there a known problem or are they just bumping up warranty work to keep their workshop busy (cynical me)

Doc.

......I might hasten to say that this car has been unbelievable for having no/very little wrong with it and we are more than pleased with it.

Doc
Doctor
User

Postby kk13 » Fri, 18 Jul 2008 17:51:45 UTC

Funnily enough over the past couple of days, I,ve noticed when leaving the drive (very slight incline) there's a slight shudder in 1st, but when I reach the junction and pull away in 1st, it doesn't happen!

Never gave me any need for concern, but I'll keep a check on it now!
1st BMW, 320d compact
2nd BMW, 120d M Sport
3rd BMW, 320d Sport
kk13
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Scotland (SC)

Postby pursang » Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:56:16 UTC

Doctor wrote:
Doctor wrote:I have reported the same problem on my 1.6i petrol 17k. Before I got to discussing an adjustment at the oil service the service dept suggested that the clutch may require replacing :? and they are now going to replace the clutch.

Doc.

......I might hasten to say that this car has been unbelievable for having no/very little wrong with it and we are more than pleased with it.

Doc

Clutch judder and hard to get into first/second gear on my 118d.......took to dealer who replaced clutch and flywheel under warranty. 26k on the clock
pursang

Re: Juddery 120d

Postby Es-Jet » Fri, 18 Jul 2008 21:27:05 UTC

Bumps wrote:Hi,

My 120d Sport does the same, typically when in stop-start traffic on the motorway. It only seems to happen when moving off slowly, and after a driving for a while ie when everything's hot. Smart step-offs don't seem to affect it so it's one I'm keeping my eye on. Good luck and I'll be interested to hear what happens with your visit to the dealer.

My E90 320d does this in exactly the same circumstances. It's been doing it now for at least 9 months and doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I reported it on the last service and they couldn't detect a problem themselves, but told me they could look at the gearbox if it gets worse.
Es-Jet
BMW Warlord

Postby Guest » Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:31:24 UTC

There is a known problem with the clutch/flywheel check this out.

http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2976

Postby Doctor » Tue, 09 Sep 2008 06:57:17 UTC

Update.

Clutch replaced all working fine now.

Doc
Doctor
User

Postby pursang » Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:44:28 UTC

Nice one :wink: .......makes all the diference too :D
BMW."Any Excuse To Drive The Longer Way Home"
"Oktoberfest Is Recommended When In Munich The Heart Of Bavaria And The Home Of BMW"
Go Metric.......Every Inch Of The Way!
pursang

Postby Guest » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:49:29 UTC

My 55 plate 116 with 15k miles has gone in today to have its clutch checked out and also for failing wipers and bad starting, hopefully they will recomend a new clutch as it is out of warrentee soon.

Postby Doctor » Fri, 12 Sep 2008 16:17:52 UTC

One thing I did pick up on was that the clutch on this car is not adjustable :? so it has to be a replacement.

Doc.
Doctor
User

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 1 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online