BMW: Tip for E46 Memory Seat + Folding Mirror Project : BMW 3 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

Tip for E46 Memory Seat + Folding Mirror Project

BMW forum 3 series car: E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F31, F34, F35

Moderator: Moderators

Tip for E46 Memory Seat + Folding Mirror Project

Postby ACS » Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:56:05 UTC

If you have an earlier E46, it may not be practical to retrofit electric memory seats and (or to get) the folding/dipping mirrors.

I have a 09/2000 E46 320ci that came with the standard cloth seats. A few weeks ago I bought a leather interior for it that came with electric memory seats. When we fitted it we found out that the only wires present underneath the seats were the ones for the seatbelt pretensioner, so I went to the local dealer to get the required seat wiring.

The friendly parts advisor told me "From BMW's point of view, it isn't practical or safe to do so" and that they don't have the parts for a retrofit kit. I didn't believe him then, so I went home and studied the ETK (parts catalog) and the WDM (schematic diagram).

There is a part number for the seat and door wiring harnesses, but the problem was somewhere else.  When I inspected the fuse box behind the glove box, there were no wires present for fuse sockets F65, F70 (driver's, passenger's powered seats), in fact ALL vacant sockets have missing wires. So it sunk on me that this is where the "impractical" comes in, as this will be a major rewiring job just to get the seats done. So remember to check your car's wiring first before buying those electric memory seats. Cars that were originally equipped with electric memory seats should have these wirings in place.

Looking on the bright side, I now have leather interior and I think I can still wire the motors for manual adjustment, losing just the memory function (if anybody's done this, now's a good time to tell us please). Goodbye folding mirrors, though.
ACS
Intermediate

Postby ihpj » Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:06:18 UTC

ACS, although sorry to hear it, glad you posted here since by sharing one's experiences it can help others.  Might be worth to let us still know how you get on.
ihpj
BMW Warlord

Postby ACS » Thu, 27 Oct 2005 21:01:25 UTC

Nothing to be sorry for, mate. Nobody else drives the car (not much use for the memory) and I'm glad to get rid of the old seats as I was mainly after the leather. Just lucky the adjustment's not that far off from mine.

The motors can be wired to 12v. Finding the easiest way is the hard bit. But it is a pain to read BMW's schematic diagram :x
ACS
Intermediate

Postby Wrekin Gas » Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:01:07 UTC

Good post, at least you will have the important part, the leckie adjustment, the memory is no big deal.
Wrekin Gas
Intermediate

Postby ihpj » Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:17:00 UTC

The memory only becomes useful (important?) if you have more than one driver for the vehicle...and as you allude to, you will be driving it only msot times, so yes, the memory option is jsut that, an option.

Nice of you to post though, might help others considering doing something similar.
ihpj
BMW Warlord

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 3 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online