BMW: 320d Service Intervals : BMW 3 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

320d Service Intervals

BMW forum 3 series car: E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F31, F34, F35

Moderator: Moderators

320d Service Intervals

Postby ramialb02 » Thu, 27 Jan 2011 14:59:22 UTC

Hi all,

i am just about to buy my first BMW, (2006 320d SE with 43K on the clock); looking at the Service record, it was first serviced at 16K, then at 31K, the dealer tells me that BMW don't have fix milage intervals for service, only requiring a look when the lamp blinks.

Q: is this true?
Q: if that’s the case: how easy is for anyone simply to reset the service warning lamp without actually servicing the car?
ramialb02

BMW Members Cars: 2006 320d SE
Colombia (co)

Re: 320d Service Intervals

Postby Panda76 » Thu, 27 Jan 2011 18:48:27 UTC

Yep its called condition based servicing..The car tells you what it wants as and when with some quite lengthy intervals.
Owned mine for coming on for a year and only had to do cabin filter and brake fluid change.
I would say change the oil more frequent as that can't do any harm ( http://www.national.co.uk/oil-vehicle-search.aspx doing a cracking deal on oil changes).

I,m on the wrong browser for a link to resetting the service warnings...Try googling reset service lights e90 or something like that.
Panda76
Intermediate

BMW Members Cars: 2006 E91 320D Tourer
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby ramialb02 » Tue, 01 Feb 2011 14:34:45 UTC

Many thanks PANDA76, appreciate the answer
ramialb02

BMW Members Cars: 2006 320d SE
Colombia (co)

Postby simon.harris » Fri, 04 Feb 2011 00:02:54 UTC

As Panda76 correctly pointed out, the car does have variable servicing etc however, I’m told that the engine oil is also used to lubricate the turbo so it pays to change the engine oil far more frequently that the service indicator suggests (every 10k miles?), also replace the oil breather during every major service, again the breather can have an impact of the life span of the turbo.
simon.harris
Intermediate

BMW Members Cars: BMW {E90} 320d 163bhp
United Kingdom (uk)

Re: 320d Service Intervals Service Light Resetting

Postby simon.harris » Fri, 04 Feb 2011 18:48:39 UTC

ramialb02 wrote:Hi all,

i am just about to buy my first BMW, (2006 320d SE with 43K on the clock); looking at the Service record, it was first serviced at 16K, then at 31K, the dealer tells me that BMW don't have fix milage intervals for service, only requiring a look when the lamp blinks.

Q: is this true?
Q: if that’s the case: how easy is for anyone simply to reset the service warning lamp without actually servicing the car?

The following info. has worked on my car when I had to reset the brake pad indicators and you can select what item you want to reset, it may work on yours:

1. Turn ignition to Terminal 15. Terminal 15 is ignition on engine off. (push start button so all warning lights illuminate on instrument panel).
2. Press and hold the Instrument Cluster Set/Reset button for 10 seconds.
3. The upper display in the Instrument Cluster will be illuminated with a Service Item (example: An oil can is the designation for Oil Service). The lower display in the Instrument Cluster will indicate the remaining time or mileage left for that Service Item. Pressing the button repeatedly will allow the display to scroll through all of the Condition Based Service Items.
4.When brake linning indiator appears in message center release trip reset button.
5.Reset message will appear, push once more.
simon.harris
Intermediate

BMW Members Cars: BMW {E90} 320d 163bhp
United Kingdom (uk)

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 3 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online