BMW: 1998 E39 528i Auto - need help to remove ignition barrel : BMW 5 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact: [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

1998 E39 528i Auto - need help to remove ignition barrel

BMW forum 5 series car: E12, E28, E34, E39, E60, E61, F07, F10, F11

Moderator: Moderators

1998 E39 528i Auto - need help to remove ignition barrel

Postby Solo Man » Wed, 26 May 2010 15:31:57 UTC

Have read many times how to remove ignition barrel (revolving type) on my E39 528 auto 1998 model, but in practise this does not seem to be so easy. Have tried using an old high tensile spring wire to get the lock to release but to no avail. Either I dont press it in deep enough or I am doing something else not right. Have tried it with the ignition switched to 1, tried it on with the dash lights just off, nothing! What am i doing wrong? Please help!! By the way, I find that with the key in the ignition there is not much space for the wire to go into the half round slot in the rim of the barrel. Advice/help will be most welcome!!
Solo Man
Intermediate

Postby miniron » Thu, 27 May 2010 01:39:45 UTC

:idea:
TIS says you have to remove the ring antenna first.
Use a non remote key to give better access. (plastic or valet key)
Key in position 1. (accessory position)
Push in pin/wire etc tool and "swivel handle forward through 90 deg".
Remove lock cylinder
Not quite sure exactly what the swivel forward bit means but I think it means use the pin to rotate the lock cylinder through 90 deg anti clockwise and then pull the lock cylinder out.

Hope this helps
RonR
miniron
Intermediate

Postby Solo Man » Thu, 27 May 2010 02:25:10 UTC

RonR, thanks for the reply. With ring antenna I assume you mean the plastic ring around the barrel. Is the TIS available on the internet? Will try again in the morning
Solo Man
Intermediate

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 5 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online