BMW: BMW X3 2.0 TRANSFER BOX REPLACEMENT IN 5 YEAR OLD CAR???? : BMW X1, X3, X5 & X6 Series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

BMW X3 2.0 TRANSFER BOX REPLACEMENT IN 5 YEAR OLD CAR????

BMW forum X1/X3/X5/X6 series car: E83, E53, E70, E71, F15

Moderator: Moderators

BMW X3 2.0 TRANSFER BOX REPLACEMENT IN 5 YEAR OLD CAR????

Postby trebor29865 » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 20:40:06 UTC

X3 2.0 D Issue with 4x4 warning light.
4x4 warning light came on 3 months ago - BMW replaced control unit and transmission oil which seemed to solve problem for very short time only. 4x4 warning light has now come on again. BMW replaced control box and reprogrammed but no luck - 4x4 warning light still on. BMW now say they need to change transfer box at £2020 incl labor and we also have to pay £500 for control box exchange. Could it be that they have missed something somewhere as car is only 5 years old but has 135000 miles on clock. Very unhappy about such a big repair bill as car has full BMW service history.
Does anybody know if we should have any other checks done on the car before we give go ahead to change transfer box?
Why would fault diagnostics not point towards transfer box straight away if it was faulty.
trebor29865

Postby GedG » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:07:06 UTC

I've recently bought a 2.0dSE X3, in January. On the test drive I picked up a very slight noise at certain speeds and throttle openings, the dealer eventually diagnosed this as being the transfer box and changed it. This was a 55 reg with 47000 miles.
The turbo also blew a week after I got it, but's that another story!
GedG
User

Postby trebor29865 » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:59:44 UTC

Whats the story with the turbo ? how much were you charged for the transfer case or did the dealer pay for it? Is the car going ok now?
trebor29865

Postby GedG » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:57:48 UTC

Transfer box was changed before I accepted the car, they did mention it had cost them £2000+, but I didn't know if this included labour.
The first week I had it I picked up a couple of fairly minor faults, so it went back. It was delivered back to me a couple of days later, about two miles after getting it back it just lost almost all power. No engine lights came on so limped a few miles home. The dealer had the car collected and quickly diagnosed the turbo. At this point I told them I didn't want the car back, but after a long chat with the workshop manager he convinced me all would be OK. The fault was caused by a sludge build up in the oil feed hose to the turbo. They replaced the turbo, oil hoses and cleaned out all the oilways, re-built the cylinder head with new oil seals and relapped the valves and I insisted they drop the sump and ensure the oil pick up pipe was clean, a surprisingly big job on this car. In the end I accepted the car back after they agreed to give me a second years full BMW warranty.
The car is now running fine (touchwood) though there is a bit of clutch judder the first couple of times I pull away first thing on a morning.
Just glad I wasn't picking up the bill!!
GedG
User

Re: BMW X3 2.0 TRANSFER BOX REPLACEMENT IN 5 YEAR OLD CAR???

Postby thechopper79 » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 19:49:20 UTC

Hi. gedg, sorry for hijacking your thread trebor, I had the clutch judder and that turned out to be 2 glow plugs and a faulty Maf sensor, had both changed under warranty and runs loads sweeter and mpg up from 32 average to 42!
thechopper79
User

BMW Members Cars: 2007 X3 2.0d SE called Boris
United Kingdom (uk)

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW X1, X3, X5 & X6 Series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online