BMW: Anyone had a rattle from behind e60 dash? : BMW 5 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

Anyone had a rattle from behind e60 dash?

BMW forum 5 series car: E12, E28, E34, E39, E60, E61, F07, F10, F11

Moderator: Moderators

Anyone had a rattle from behind e60 dash?

Postby mobilejo » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:34:59 UTC

My 55 535d has a really annoying rattle/light knocking that is present at all times from behind the dash. Its not engine related, its bump related - just the normal movement of rolling along a regular road causes it to be present, so its basically there all of the time.

It sounds like its located either in the centre behind the idrive screen, or right in front of me behind the clocks - its hard to say where exactly. Its a light knocking noise - a rubbery "thud" that is muffled slightly because its inside the dash. (imagine a rubber ball being knocked around inside an empty paint tin and thats the sound)

Has anyone ever had anything similar and if so, what was it?

Cheers
mobilejo
BMW Warlord

Postby geffg » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:34:59 UTC

can you feel it through the steering wheel at all? i ask due to mine having slight knock/thud at low speed manouvre. been in to be checked and its the steering column needs replacing!
geffg
Intermediate

Postby mobilejo » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 23:32:41 UTC

geffg wrote:can you feel it through the steering wheel at all? i ask due to mine having slight knock/thud at low speed manouvre. been in to be checked and its the steering column needs replacing!

No, I do have the steering column knock too, but this is a different issue. It even happens when driving straight.

The steering column knock can sometimes be fixed with either a fluid change, lubrication on the column and/or changing a small part on the steering column - sometimes one or all of these can save you from having to change the whole column. BUT my steering column knock doesn't bother me so much.
mobilejo
BMW Warlord

Postby koo » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 00:01:15 UTC

Mine has also started doing this over the past week :( its slightly louder than the steering wheel knock on mine and like you say its quite random, straight lines and bumps but not always.
Used to own a 530d SE Auto E60 2003
koo
Intermediate

Possiable FIX

Postby IrishLad » Sat, 17 Apr 2010 08:32:14 UTC

Hi,
I had exactly the same issue it was like a rubber seal was rubbing against the dash, I had a new windscreen fitted and assumed it was this. So this took it out again and resealed it completely while I checked it over, but the problem remained.

I read on another forum thread that the door seals can cause this sound and can also appear to come from the dash as its hard to isolate the problem, so I tested this and it WORKED....

If you crack down your front windows by a mill, you don't want to have the window down that you can see the gap between it and the door. Once its down just 1 mm try driving over bumpy surfaces and see if the sound is gone. In my case it fixed the problem. So I removed the front window seals for the doors and greased and refitted them and thankfully the sound is now gone :-)

It seems when the window was fully closed it was pressing against the subber seal and causing the rubbing sound, let it NEVER sounded like it was coming from the door, it must have been....

Hope this helps
IrishLad

Postby mobilejo » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 23:44:03 UTC

Finally sorted this, after trying IrishLads suggestion to no avail, I got even more determined.

It turns out that my strut-brace under the bonnet was not secured properly - some of the bolt heads were rounded and not torqued properly. That was causing the constant knock!

An easy problem to solve with 4 new bolts torqued up correctly!
mobilejo
BMW Warlord

Postby tatenews » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:09:36 UTC

Mine has a rattle from behind the clocks, at any speed, but more so if going slow or are letting the engine labour slightly. It drives me mad. I find if I press down on the top of the dash on what I would call the peak, just above the Rev counter it stops. But as soon as I let go it starts again.

It's like a demented bee, it's driving me insane.

Any suggestions :helpme:
Dave
e46 320 td compact (2002)
e60 520d SE 07 LCI
tatenews
BMW Warlord

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby mobilejo » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:37:56 UTC

I saw on another forum a guy with a rattle just like yours, from the same place.

Have a look here...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5 ... e-pix.html
mobilejo
BMW Warlord

Postby koo » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:44:05 UTC

mobilejo wrote:Finally sorted this, after trying IrishLads suggestion to no avail, I got even more determined.

It turns out that my strut-brace under the bonnet was not secured properly - some of the bolt heads were rounded and not torqued properly. That was causing the constant knock!

An easy problem to solve with 4 new bolts torqued up correctly!

Great news!

I hope mine is the same issue, it has only happened since I had some work done on the engine.
koo
Intermediate

Postby tatenews » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:56:19 UTC

mobilejo wrote:I saw on another forum a guy with a rattle just like yours, from the same place.

Have a look here...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5 ... e-pix.html

Thanks that's exactly where my rattle is coming from, I pressed my finger on the bottom right hand corner and it stopped. now i'am off to ask my nephew if I can have one of his plectrums. :D
Dave
e46 320 td compact (2002)
e60 520d SE 07 LCI
tatenews
BMW Warlord

United Kingdom (uk)

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 5 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online