BMW: How to change an In-line fuel pump 530d : BMW 5 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2013                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

How to change an In-line fuel pump 530d

BMW forum 5 series car: E12, E28, E34, E39, E60, E61, F07, F10, F11

Moderator: Moderators

How to change an In-line fuel pump 530d

Postby neenaw » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 13:00:07 UTC

Not a lot on the web about this so I will give it a go, I will add this is idicitive not all encompassing, I reckon the weather done for the pump which may have been on its last legs anyways giving its -15 up here just now.

I am more than happy to correct any mistakes.

The symptoms I had were poor starting, lack of power and poor MPG, this might be due to some other factors also, however I also had some air in the fuel line here

and a loud gurgly grinchy noise from under the front passengers seat.

So after a bit of searching I bought one of these

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/BMW_5 ... 9f407&FPUM

To fit

directly behind the passenger front wheel on the under side of the car is a plastic cover, it also covers the exhaust for the auxillary heater.

You need remove this which is held by a combination of plastic rivets and nuts/bolts, the plastic rivets can be a pain and you may break some, I would suggest getting some before hand. Once that part is off the fuel pump is pretty obvious

if you trace the metal fuel lines running from the tank you'll see the pump held in within a black foam type surround and mounted up via a metal bracket which bolts the car by a single allen bolt.

Remove this and then the pump should be free, now the problem part, on the fuel tank side you will see a crap bit of plastic which looks like something from an aquarium, basically a black link junction, this is a brittle bit of plastic and may break, take care or your waiting for the parts man with a broken junction and fuel dripping on your drive again maybe safe than sorry and order one as they are only a few quid. Undo the jubilees, if the jubys are rusted / seized I would (next time !!!!) cut the fuel line and renew it, saving a lot of cursing and swearing.

and fit your new part, might be worth inspecting everything now you are here and renew any fuel lines and clips that look crappy, it may make your life simples later on. Alos redo the inline filter while your at it £8 or so.

Refit.

Things I would recommend

1 Some fuel line
2 Some new juby clips
3 Some new plastic rivets
4 A new junction splitter
5 A new fuel filter
6 Tea
7 Basic socket set
8 Allen Keys
9 Ramps/ trolly jack / axle stands
10 Scrrewdriver flat head and small
11 Fairy liquid to put new line on.

This is an easy peasy job if it goes to plan, cold weather doesnt help and figure in hour start to finish, things can go wrong though so be prepped for a pain in the :banned: if something goes wrong ( ie snapping the oh blast junction, trust me on this one)
neenaw
Intermediate

Postby neenaw » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 13:14:04 UTC

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=16&fg=15

9 is the pump
6 is the bugger that can break
neenaw
Intermediate

Postby m330d » Sat, 09 Jan 2010 11:08:56 UTC

Probally the plastic was brittle due to the cold , well done for getting it sorted should be of use to others as its a common issue. :D
m330d
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Northern Ireland (NI)

Re: How to change an In-line fuel pump 530d

Postby richard_tricky » Sat, 09 Jan 2010 11:20:33 UTC

neenaw wrote:
and fit your new part, might be worth inspecting everything now you are here and renew any fuel lines and clips that look crappy, it may make your life simples later on. Alos redo the inline filter while your at it £8 or so.

Hi Wheres this in line filter. I thought the only filter on the fuel side was the main one in the engine compartment?
Can you show me on Realoem. Mines an e39 530d btw
richard_tricky
BMW Warlord

Postby ian.stewart » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 16:26:54 UTC

Is this the famous start problems that the 25/30d seem to suffer from, mine can be a real bug-er to restart after 3 to 4 hours, but go back 5 hours later and it will start without a problem, I know Range Rovers and Senators suffer s similar problem,
ian.stewart
Intermediate

Postby impreza_dood » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:07:17 UTC

Brefore the pump actually gave up, did it make any odd noises...... pretty sure mine is on its way, and after about a minute of running, it makes a loud... doomp typoe noise over and over again,.,. but not all the time which is annoying.... cos whenever i get under the car, its not doing it...LOL!!
impreza_dood
Intermediate

Postby bluespider » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:32:36 UTC

impreza dood, think mine was making similar noises before it failed, i would suggest that the doomp! noise is the impellars sticking.

The thing I would add to this excellent guide is that i also bought the PWM part as listed above from euro car parts. its a lot cheaper than the direct pierberg replacement. Its also noisier in operation.

I couldn't justify the extra spend but if i was doing it again i would probably go for a like for like swapout.

Also I would suggest a couple of mole grips or clamps for the fuel line before you disconnect the pump. will stop the diesel running up your arm :P
I use self depricating humour as a defence mechanism, but I'm not very good at it...

E39 525D SE
bluespider
Advanced

Postby neenaw » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:50:37 UTC

LOL at above, yip some moles would be great, what I did was decide to replace all the lines and clips under there anyways so I cut the lines, built it up prior to fitting then it was a quick swap. My snap gloves reek now!!!!
neenaw
Intermediate

Postby impreza_dood » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 20:19:29 UTC

Thanks............... the pierburg pump is nigh on 200 quid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how noisey is the replacement one..??
impreza_dood
Intermediate

Postby neenaw » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:44:10 UTC

I got the £93 one and its fine, i dont notice it if that helps at all
neenaw
Intermediate

Postby impreza_dood » Tue, 12 Jan 2010 22:30:53 UTC

thanks.............. i can always turn the radio up!!
impreza_dood
Intermediate

Postby bluespider » Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:31:48 UTC

TBH i don't notice it that much while driving and even the radio on at low covers the noise but its definately noisier than the original and its noticeable from outside the car.

does the reduced noise justify double the price? thats a personal thing, i'd probably say no.
I use self depricating humour as a defence mechanism, but I'm not very good at it...

E39 525D SE
bluespider
Advanced

Postby neenaw » Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:32:23 UTC

I genuinly cant hear it,not noticed any dif.
neenaw
Intermediate

Postby bluespider » Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:38:59 UTC

maybe mines on backwards :shock:

:wink:

E39 525D SE
bluespider
Advanced

Postby richie25 » Sat, 16 Jan 2010 17:08:52 UTC

Good write up now i no what iam in for lol, i think the pump on mine is on its way out, i get the occasinal knocking noises and have noticed a slight hesitition while driving up thro the gears at low speeds, this has gradually come on over the last year, i am not sure if the second sympton has anything to do with it tho. Thanks guys
richie25

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 5 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online