BMW: 530D Not boosting up... : BMW 5 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

530D Not boosting up...

BMW forum 5 series car: E12, E28, E34, E39, E60, E61, F07, F10, F11

Moderator: Moderators

530D Not boosting up...

Postby boXXer » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:02:29 UTC

Hi all, just wondered if you could give me any pointers into why my BMW isnt boosting up properly.

Heres the scenario...

Driving along, the car drives lovely upto approx 2000-2200 RPM. After that, the car is dead, and has no top end power. The turbo it defiantely still operating, as you can hear it spooling and making a small amount of boost.

Now, if you drive along a nice bit of long road, and say, hold it in 4th/5th anbd hover around the 2200 RPM mark, the car sometimes jerks a little, and the noise of the turbo goes VERY quiet as if its not spooling anymore, but it 100% is, because if you plant the throttle, its boosts up lovely, all the way to the rev limiter, and through all the gears,

BUT

If you let the revs drop below the 2k mark, the turbo dies and you have :banned: all boost again until you feather the throttle around the 2200 RPM, then woosh, off it'll go again until you let the revs drop. Its basically like you can manually switch the turbo into big boost mode by :banned: the throttle around the 2200rpm mark.

I have replaced the MAF, the fuel pump under the passengers seat, the boost solenoid, all vacuum hoses. im running out of things to change, and its getting costly!

I am thinking its something to do with the turbo changing from its low rev-to-high rev state or a sticky actuator???

anyone got any clues on whats up with it, as its starting to make me cry :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks very much!
boXXer
User

Postby bob525d » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:40:09 UTC

You say its a 530D but not what the year is, this might help people tell you whats wrong.

I am not sure if you have a VNT turbo in this car, if it does i could be sticking vanes? I am having a hard time following what you have said, do you mean that there is no power from 0-2200rpm or is there no power from 2200rpm onwards.

I had an Audi A6 2.5TDi which after a visit to the dealer for a service came out running like :banned:, no turbo power what so ever. I went back and had a massive barmy with the General Manager, the mechanic had disconnected the turbo actuator hose and not reattached it. Once this was reattached presto it was a rocket (still not as good as bmw though).

If you have been replacing pipes and stuff i would double check everything is in the right place.
bob525d
User

Postby stevecvo » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:04:25 UTC

The fact that you get boost sometimes is odd but otherwise it sounds like a classic case of the turbo pressure actuator not cutting in. I had the same symptoms twice - once was an electrical connection and the second was cured by replacing the vacuum tube and the actuator. These are the areas I would be looking at.
stevecvo

Postby adeel » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:38:57 UTC

Spot on, I am in exactly the same boat as yourself, the problem is a blocked diesel particle filter (blocks the black smoke)
adeel
Intermediate

Postby boXXer » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:51:49 UTC

Hi, its a 1999 V reg.

as said in my post above....

i have changed ALL vac hoses, and 1 turbo solenoid. I am confident that i have no vaccuum leaks as i pumped air into the pipe after the resevoir and heard no leaking. i replaced the pipes because i found a leak just after i bought the car.

There IS power, and the turbo IS working up to 2200rpm, but it you feather the throttle around this, you can FEEL the turbo sharply switch the vanes over.

Where is the diesel partical filter exactly?
boXXer
User

Postby minesavolvo » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:54:04 UTC

boXXer wrote:Where is the diesel partical filter exactly?

You don't have one on an E39...
minesavolvo
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

England (EN)

Postby m330d » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:02:08 UTC

Disconnect the egr vac line as you have changed most other bits see if it makes a difference, put a bolt in the vacline to seal it off.
m330d
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby boXXer » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:02:45 UTC

Hi noticed your from Reading, im from Winnersh :)

Thats one more thing i can eliminate then. Can the VNT system and actuator be free'd up from the outside, or is it turbo off job and clean it all out?
boXXer
User

Postby boXXer » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:04:20 UTC

m330d wrote:Disconnect the egr vac line as you have changed most other bits see if it makes a difference, put a bolt in the vacline to seal it off.

at what point in the line should i do this? from the main vacuum pipe forwards? i have already blocked off the EGR at the diaphragm end with a bolt, but this obviously still leaves the solenoid active as it not blocked before it.
boXXer
User

Postby m330d » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:44:30 UTC

boXXer wrote:
m330d wrote:Disconnect the egr vac line as you have changed most other bits see if it makes a difference, put a bolt in the vacline to seal it off.

at what point in the line should i do this? from the main vacuum pipe forwards? i have already blocked off the EGR at the diaphragm end with a bolt, but this obviously still leaves the solenoid active as it not blocked before it.

Have you actually put the bolt in the vacline(black thin hose into egr) if so it doesnt matter if the egr pressure controller is active as it cant let exhaust gas into the engine which i though might be strangling it.

Id try cleaning the turbo pressure converter filter(have a search) it can get blocked and stop the turbo actutator operating properly.Thread is called pressure converters have air filters. :D

a sticking turbo actuator is certainly a possibility or more likely the vacuum control for it.
m330d
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby minesavolvo » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:51:05 UTC

boXXer wrote:Hi noticed your from Reading, im from Winnersh :)

Thats one more thing i can eliminate then. Can the VNT system and actuator be free'd up from the outside, or is it turbo off job and clean it all out?

I was going to suggest running INPA diagnostics as I think there is a menu item that allows you to under software control trigger the turbo actuator.

This would allow you to observe how it operates, let me check and get back to you (Thursday). Also not sure if all the INPA options are available on pre-face lift.
minesavolvo
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

England (EN)

Postby boXXer » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:21:19 UTC

hi, as said above x2 ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ) i have changed the converter (solenoid) for a brand new one :D :D :D

m330d wrote:
boXXer wrote:

Have you actually put the bolt in the vacline(black thin hose into egr) if so it doesnt matter if the egr pressure controller is active as it cant let exhaust gas into the engine which i though might be strangling it.

Id try cleaning the turbo pressure converter filter(have a search) it can get blocked and stop the turbo actutator operating properly.Thread is called pressure converters have air filters. :D

a sticking turbo actuator is certainly a possibility or more likely the vacuum control for it.
boXXer
User

Postby boXXer » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:22:42 UTC

minesavolvo wrote:
boXXer wrote:Hi noticed your from Reading, im from Winnersh :)

I was going to suggest running INPA diagnostics as I think there is a menu item that allows you to under software control trigger the turbo actuator.

This would allow you to observe how it operates, let me check and get back to you (Thursday). Also not sure if all the INPA options are available on pre-face lift.

do you know anyone that can do this locally to us? i dont mind paying for a check, i just want it done now, lol. Iv'e had the car about a month, and starting to wish i hadnt bothered, lol. It is VERY quick when its boosting properly and thats what is making me keep it at the mo. :lol:
boXXer
User

Postby m330d » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:13:17 UTC

Too many threads :oops: where did you get the maf I hope it wasnt ebay. :oops: Id unplug it again just to see.
m330d
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby gixerboy » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:16:06 UTC

Hi boXXer,

Your problem does sound perplexing and I'm sure live data will give us a clue. I'm a 530d owner of 6 years and live just around the corner from you with a garage full of BMW spares and vac line plus a car to donate working parts if req. Snap on scanner and BMW service manager on hand too if need be.

Happy to help this weekend pls call if your still struggling.

Will pm you details

Gb

[email protected]
gixerboy
Intermediate

Postby boXXer » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:21:37 UTC

m330d wrote:Too many threads :oops: where did you get the maf I hope it wasnt ebay. :oops: Id unplug it again just to see.

ha ha, thats ok mate. I do the same thing! maf was a genuine bosch :(
boXXer
User

Postby boXXer » Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:22:33 UTC

Gixerboy wrote:Hi boXXer,

Your problem does sound perplexing and I'm sure live data will give us a clue. I'm a 530d owner of 6 years and live just around the corner from you with a garage full of BMW spares and vac line plus a car to donate working parts if req. Snap on scanner and BMW service manager on hand too if need be.

Will pm you details

Gb

[email protected]

hiya mate. that would be brilliant. i dont mind paying for your time either, its peeing me off!
boXXer
User

Postby minesavolvo » Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:28:33 UTC

Gixerboy wrote:Hi boXXer,

Will pm you details

Gb

[email protected]

Garage full of spares - like the sound of that :-)

Have sent boXXer a PM as I have INPA and actually live closer than Reading...

Let me know if you need any additional help over the weekend.
minesavolvo
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

England (EN)

Re: 530D Not boosting up...

Postby ingo09 » Mon, 29 Aug 2011 21:21:03 UTC

hi was the problem ever solved ??? as i have the same problem????
ingo09
User

BMW Members Cars: BMW 530 D with m5 convervision kit on!!
United Kingdom (uk)

Re: 530D Not boosting up...

Postby boXXer » Mon, 29 Aug 2011 21:23:53 UTC

blimey old thread! just got a email saying it had been replied too....

I eventually sold the car but i have a feeling the actuator or vanes were sticky as i did everything else apart from that!
boXXer
User

Next

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 5 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online