BMW: Glow Plug Replacement 330D M57N (204bhp) : BMW 3 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

Glow Plug Replacement 330D M57N (204bhp)

BMW forum 3 series car: E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F31, F34, F35

Moderator: Moderators

Glow Plug Replacement 330D M57N (204bhp)

Postby Vernonfr35 » Sat, 02 Feb 2008 11:22:14 UTC

Hello folks,

I was curious to know if anybody with a car like mine has replaced the glow plugs yet?
If you've done the work yourself :

- do you need a special tool to open out the glow plugs? if not, what type socket?
- while removing, did any of them crack, break or become difficult to remove? If so what did you do to get them out?
- did anybody change glow plug fuses behind the glove box on a 330D of this type?

- TIS says you need to remove the inlet manifold( any chance with socket and swivel link to avoid this?). It also says that if necessary use a special drill twist out bit. I may only have to change #2 glow plug if indeed it's confirmed faulty(will have dealer diag soon). I'm just haggling about the risk. IF too risky, I'll get dealer to do it. In which case I'll have to replace all 6 instead of just one, as they say the inlet manifold must come off each time. Replacing all at once will economise on labour charge @ 75€/hour ~~ 2hours required.....Beru type plugs are around 18€ each on a website, so probably around 25€/each from stealer. I'm quite capable of taking off the inlet manifold myself. It's the special tool requirement if any for the glow plug, and the risk of the glow plug breaking while removal thats got me on the back foot. I don't see how I'll have space to use my electric drill if the need arises.

All advice welcome :-)

Cheers
Vernonfr35
2003/08 330d
re-mapped
Total Excellium + Miller's
Vernonfr35
Advanced

Postby neilto » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 19:37:51 UTC

Really good questions that I would also like an answer to.
In addition where are the glow plugs I've got six new ones in my hand but cant see them fitted to any part of the engine.
Under the inlet manifold??
neilto
User

glow plugs

Postby winston/spencer » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 22:18:20 UTC

:wink: if your not having trouble with starting dont touch , my no 5 is down but car starts and runs great so my indie guy advised not to take the chance of it not coming out ie snapping off , but its up to you good luck keep us posted on how you get on :lol:
winston/spencer
Overdrive

Postby m330d » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 23:02:59 UTC

You have to take the inlet manifold off and probally need a deep socket to remove plugs.Some have come out fine but a few on here snapped and than its major hassle time.Warming the engine first is a good start .If one feels stuck dont force it.
You need to attack them square on any shortcut with swivel bars etc to avoid taking the manifold off will end in a broken plug .
m330d
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby neilto » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 23:24:44 UTC

After much hassle getting the sodding manifold off the glow plugs were unveiled.
After woking out that you need to squeeze the top of the plug connector to release the connection the glow plugs were accessible.
No trouble getting them out of the head. Two were shot and one was on its way out.
Way to check them is with a resistance meter good uns are between 0.5 and 1 ohm big resistance means nae workin'
Other 3 were ok but I put 6 new ones in with a wee dab of copperslip in case I'm back this way again in a few years.
Manifold was a real sod to get off - far worse than I'd expected hunders of bolts nuts electrical connections God knows if I'll ever get it all back together again.
neilto
User

Postby Tankdoctor » Sun, 11 Jul 2010 13:05:26 UTC

Hi, not to bad a job to do( check my posts for more info ) Just remember to have the engine nice and warm, plenty of penetrating oil and if they feel tight go very careful ( torque wrench is advisable )
BMW glow plug changing is just the same as any other engine, nothing scary :)
2004 330d Msport
Tankdoctor
User

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 3 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online