BMW: BMW e46 Retrofit Wiring Loom query... : BMW Car Audio Forum: ICE - In Car Entertainment • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

BMW e46 Retrofit Wiring Loom query...

BMW In Car entertainment Audio: Discuss your BMW car radios, BMW car phones, BMW iPOD, iPhone, BMW bluetooth, BMW Audio, DAB, MP3 etc

Moderator: Moderators

BMW e46 Retrofit Wiring Loom query...

Postby mccalia1 » Fri, 23 Nov 2007 20:03:57 UTC

I am in the planning stages of retrofitting OEM bluetooth to my 2002 e46 325i Sport Convertible which I've recently retrofitted the Sat Nav. I have already purchased a 7th Generation ULF Mit SES module. I don't intend on using the Eject Box so I plan on purchasing the following parts from BMW to get Bluetooth enabled:

Description Part Number

Bluetooth Wiring Harness 61-12-0 143 309
Bluetooth Antenna 84-50-6 928 461
Bluetooth Antenna bracket 84-13-6 912 160
Bluetooth ULF Bracket 84-13-6 924 553
Microphone 84-31-6 938 762
Pairing Button 84-13-0-302 715

Question

I've researched the forums and was pretty happy with the items I needed. I assumed the Wiring Harness/Loom listed on Wicksta's page would be suitable but I then found another posters topic who stated that BMW said that he needed a different Wiring Loom.

So I'm now confused!! Does anyone know how many Wiring Looms are available for 2002 e46 Convertible (preface lift) or more importantly which one I need? I am thinking Wicksta's loom listed on his site is correct. Can anyone provide me with assistance? Otherwise I'll ask my local BMW dealership.

Thanks
mccalia1
Intermediate

Postby e.barr » Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:21:12 UTC

HI, if you have fitted Sat Nav using the Nav retrofit loom then the BT retrofit loom 61 12 0 143 309 will be the correct one to use , its a shame you did'nt fit it at the same time as fitting your Nav loom as it runs along side it, making removing the passenger seat and door sill trim a one time operation.

So you will have three seperate looms running to the rear
1/ Standard original audio loom
2/ Nav retrofit loom
3/ Bt retrofit loom

All three looms will have a single connection point behind the Nav screen (eight round pin connector) the same one the original audio and Nav retrofit loom share.

Bmw in the UK can supply various looms such as.
1/ Audio (standard)

2/ Audio/ Harman Kardon

3/ Audio/ high (with amp)

4/ Audio/ Nav

5/ Audio/ Harman Kardon/ Nav

6/ Audio/ Nav/ TV

7/ Audio/ Harman Kardon/ Nav/ TV

8/ Audio/ TV

And i am sure there maybe other types for other countries.

If you decide to buy one of these looms you will have to strip out the entire interior of your car so that you can route the speaker wires to the drivers side under the heater blender box and also under the rear shelf.
I done this to my previous car and i can tell you it is a pain in the A## and it took me over a day to complete, its much better, cheaper and quicker just to add the retrofit looms to the pre-fitted audio loom.
The Ultimate Driving Machine
e.barr
Intermediate

Postby mccalia1 » Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:31:51 UTC

e.barr wrote:All three looms will have a single connection point behind the Nav screen (eight round pin connector) the same one the original audio and Nav retrofit loom share.

Bmw in the UK can supply various looms such as.
1/ Audio (standard)

2/ Audio/ Harman Kardon

3/ Audio/ high (with amp)

4/ Audio/ Nav

5/ Audio/ Harman Kardon/ Nav

6/ Audio/ Nav/ TV

7/ Audio/ Harman Kardon/ Nav/ TV

8/ Audio/ TV

And i am sure there maybe other types for other countries.

If you decide to buy one of these looms you will have to strip out the entire interior of your car so that you can route the speaker wires to the drivers side under the heater blender box and also under the rear shelf.
I done this to my previous car and i can tell you it is a pain in the A## and it took me over a day to complete, its much better, cheaper and quicker just to add the retrofit looms to the pre-fitted audio loom.

hindsight is a wonderful thing but yes, if I had planned this properly I could have made the retrofit a one time operation.

With regards to your email, I understood where you were going until you started listing all the looms. At the moment I have 2 looms (retrofit Sat Nav and prefitted Audio) I assuming from your email i will have 3 looms Sat Nav, Audio, Bluetooth) trailed to the boot (which is what I'm expecting)

Can you explain what you mean by "its much better, cheaper and quicker just to add the retrofit looms to the pre-fitted audio loom"
mccalia1
Intermediate

Postby e.barr » Wed, 28 Nov 2007 01:39:27 UTC

OK what i meant when i said it would be better, cheaper and quicker to install the retrofit looms is that you can walk into any BMW dealership and ask them to supply any of the looms that i have listed to fit to your car, the only problem with this is that you will have to strip the interior out including the dash to fit them, and thats a major job that will take days to omplete instead of hours.

So its better and quicker to fit the retrofit loom as you only have to remove a small amount of the interior.
The listed looms will cost around £380 each so fitting the retrofit looms will be cheaper as they cost about £120 each.

Some of the listed looms are advertised on eb#y and sell for about £120ish which is ok if you intend to swap out your interior or fit some sort of aftermarket sound system in.

If you have a car that originally only has the standard audio system loom, it is much easier to fit both the Nav and BT retrofit looms in at the same time, if fitting the Nav loom you can fit the screen, radio unit and Nav computer at this point and leave the BT loom disconnected untill you find the most up to date BT ULF (MK 12 or 13)
You can also fit the Nav and BT looms in and not connect them up untill your ready to do the full install as long as you still keep the original radio connected at the dash and tape all of the loose connections up in the boot.

mccalia 1 you will have four looms running along the passenger side sill into the boot these will be.

1/ A section of the cars main wiring loom ( rear lights, fuel tank sender wire, earth wires etc etc)

2/ The original audio loom ( rear speakers and wiring to the arial amp on the C piller)

3/ The Nav retrofit loom ( to all the Nav/radio/tv stuff in the boot)

4/ The BT loom ( to the ULF ,earth point and optional BT shark fin or powered bumper arial).

One other thing if you fit the Nav retrofit loom you will only have the connections for the radio and Nav computer, if you wish to install the TV you will have to add a short additional tv retrofit loom in the boot to connect the TV tuner to the nav loom and a BMW TV arial behind the rear bumper.

So mccalia 1 your installing the Nav and the BT looms correctly the only thing you have to make sure of is that you connect them to the most up to date units you can afford.

1/ 16.9 screen with the CD player.
2/ MK 4 Nav DVD computer with V29 software installed.
3/ BM54 radio with TMC and AUX.
4/ Hybrid Digital TV tuner.

I have No 3 and plan in replacing all of my stuff with No 1, 2 and 4. I am thinking about removing my six disc changer and fitting a din size DVD player in the slot and connecting up an Ipod using the Cd players connections.
The Ultimate Driving Machine
e.barr
Intermediate

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW Car Audio Forum: ICE - In Car Entertainment

BMWLand: Who is online