BMW: 330d low power+Filters+Sensors=Confused : BMW 3 series Forum • BMWLand

  BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact: [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount
  
  

330d low power+Filters+Sensors=Confused

BMW forum 3 series car: E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F31, F34, F35

Moderator: Moderators

Postby m330d » Sat, 06 Oct 2007 16:58:14 UTC

Ultimatio wrote:Thats interesting, my rail pressure is 348 (same as you) but the raise pressure fluctuates between 1.4-1.5bar. When the filter sensor is connected (Which i'm guessing measures the raise pressure) the engine does not rev above 2.5k. Does this suggest the sensor or the raise pump is faulty?

Can I also add how good this site is. I will become a doner once I fix my car (skint after buying car and paying iinsurance, and looks like more bills to fix car!) This is one of the best websites i've ever come accross. Well done.


1.4 raise pressure is terrible while running.should be 4 bar minimum.You are quoting while running arnt you???i wary of saying you need a new pre supply pump but that is far too low for car to run.Can you check live data with ingnition on and watch what it does without starting it.Should go to 4 bar than back to 1 bar after approx 20 secs and say there.Then start it and see what it rises to.should go to 4 bar immediately and post back.
Based on what you have said though a running pres supply of 1.4 is totally unacceptable far far too low but this can be caused by leaking injectors bringing it down to you have to be aware.(leaking into engine possibly). www.eurocarparts.com sell the pumps for about £150.
We will hold you to site supporter promise if we get it sorted. :lol: We try our best
Last edited by m330d on Sat, 06 Oct 2007 16:59:41 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
m330d
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 16218
Joined: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:23:35 UTC
Location: Derry Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby Ultimatio » Sat, 06 Oct 2007 16:59:12 UTC

With regards, to the CAT issue. The car revs freely up to 5.5k (red line) without any difficulty. My car is the same as yours M330d, 184bhp manual. Read faults after one minute and there were no faults like you said.

Found an unused fuel pump on ebay for £75 buy it now. Is the low raise pressure likely to be pump or pressure sensor out of calibration? And would this result in low power?

Going to read up on Cat's and Pumps on other posts, to see if similar symptoms.
Ultimatio
User

Posts: 32
Joined: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:53:52 UTC

Postby m330d » Sat, 06 Oct 2007 17:02:24 UTC

Ultimatio wrote:With regards, to the CAT issue. The car revs freely up to 5.5k (red line) without any difficulty. My car is the same as yours M330d, 184bhp manual. Read faults after one minute and there were no faults like you said.

Found an unused fuel pump on ebay for £75 buy it now. Is the low raise pressure likely to be pump or pressure sensor out of calibration? And would this result in low power?

Going to read up on Cat's and Pumps on other posts, to see if similar symptoms.


Another guy had slightly low raise pressure(3.75 bar) which we suspected as car was mapped(why im reluckant to say pump but your is very low) but after new pump it didnt improve but injector leakoff was bad (yours is good) and id say the senor is working and trying to protect the main pump so dont be disconnecting it and driving as your could make thinks worse.Cats not a problem based on raise pressure data id say.

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtop ... highlight=

This was the low pre supply thread but was injectors.

Do not drive car anymore until sorted as main pump damage is a possibility.The sensor you disconnected is trying to protect main pump by the look of it.
m330d
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 16218
Joined: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:23:35 UTC
Location: Derry Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby Ultimatio » Sat, 06 Oct 2007 17:15:44 UTC

Wierd. I just ran the car with live data. Before starting the engine the raise pressure was 0.58bar. Then when started it was around 1.4bar. When I disconnected the sensor the raise pressure changed to 4.4bar. So either the pump is only pressureising to 1.4bar, or the sensors out of calibration and thinks 4.1bar is actually 1.4bar so restricting the engine.

I've heard of people getting their injectors read by the diagnostics. Can this be done in Carsoft? (The results seem to be +4 or -4 etc)

Really what I need is a person with the same car so I can check sensor, would only take 5 mins.
Ultimatio
User

Posts: 32
Joined: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:53:52 UTC

Postby m330d » Sat, 06 Oct 2007 17:32:01 UTC

Ultimatio wrote:Wierd. I just ran the car with live data. Before starting the engine the raise pressure was 0.58bar. Then when started it was around 1.4bar. When I disconnected the sensor the raise pressure changed to 4.4bar. So either the pump is only pressureising to 1.4bar, or the sensors out of calibration and thinks 4.1bar is actually 1.4bar so restricting the engine.

I've heard of people getting their injectors read by the diagnostics. Can this be done in Carsoft? (The results seem to be +4 or -4 etc)

Really what I need is a person with the same car so I can check sensor, would only take 5 mins.


Ive just disconnected sensor on mine gave 4.4 bar as you said disconnected. :D and the dde light came on. :( Code read after rescan was :
1255 delivery pump pressure sensor which you should have..scan and check.erased codes and all ok. :D

Carsoft cannot read individual injectors something I dearly wish it could do. :(
On plus note it did only take 5 mins...You need a pre supply pump by look of it. :D

Seen the pump you mention need to be sure it ok for your year www.realoem.com doesnt list a part number that I can see.
m330d
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 16218
Joined: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:23:35 UTC
Location: Derry Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby Ultimatio » Sat, 06 Oct 2007 18:03:17 UTC

Just found my old filter so gonna try fitting that tomorrow morning to see if the filter is causing the pressure drop. Then if thats the same then looks like the pump.
Ultimatio
User

Posts: 32
Joined: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:53:52 UTC

Postby Ultimatio » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 07:52:02 UTC

Fitted my old filter and the raise pressur was around the 0.5bar mark, so doesnt look like filter. I did notice that when the system was self bleeding the pump near the back (The sender pump) was gurggling as it was doing this, even though there's half a tank of fuel in the car. Could that be the cause of the low pressure?
Ultimatio
User

Posts: 32
Joined: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:53:52 UTC

Postby m330d » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:23:02 UTC

Ultimatio wrote:Fitted my old filter and the raise pressur was around the 0.5bar mark, so doesnt look like filter. I did notice that when the system was self bleeding the pump near the back (The sender pump) was gurggling as it was doing this, even though there's half a tank of fuel in the car. Could that be the cause of the low pressure?


Gurgling is air being take out.If it stopped then should be ok.Maybe there is another pump at tank but as you are getting diesel it may be ok.Its the pump under passenger seat floor that is pressurising the filter.For whatever reason it isnt getting up to pressure.If it is able to supply main pump it must be getting diesel from tank.Maybe unplug at filter and put into a jar and turn ignition on to confirm a good steady flow from tank.Might be an idea to fill tank right up and if pressure improves that might say tank pump is suspect.if it was bad id expect starting bother/driving bother below 1/2 full.Maybe worth a try????
Last edited by m330d on Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:47:47 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
m330d
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 16218
Joined: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:23:35 UTC
Location: Derry Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby m330d » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:37:04 UTC

The pre supply pump changed on the 04/2001.What month is yours (build date not reg date)?
M330d pre supply pump info :
Earlier one:
08 DIESEL PUMP 1 04/2001 16126750603
From 04/2001 on:
08 DIESEL PUMP E3L 1 04/2001 16117165590 $306.90(my car is 4/2001 build and this is listed for it).
m330d
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 16218
Joined: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:23:35 UTC
Location: Derry Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby Ultimatio » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:48:15 UTC

Mine was built 02/2001, so must be old one. I've bought that pump from ebay so I will check the part number with the seller. Going out this afternoon so will possibly be monday by the time I check pump flow. Is it likely to be raise pump causing power loss?
Ultimatio
User

Posts: 32
Joined: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:53:52 UTC

Postby m330d » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:55:09 UTC

Ultimatio wrote:Mine was built 02/2001, so must be old one. I've bought that pump from ebay so I will check the part number with the seller. Going out this afternoon so will possibly be monday by the time I check pump flow. Is it likely to be raise pump causing power loss?


I would say it is the most likely.Threads with these symptoms are hard to find on here.The fact is you need 4 bar for main pump to work properly and are getting less than 1.That must be effecting things.Only when you put in new pump will we know for sure as I cant rememeber any threads the same in recent times.Something is causing pressure drop and a lot of new pre supply pumps are sold so they cant be the most reliable?????????At the price you have paid it is worth the gamble. :D You may need one sooner or later anyway.
m330d
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 16218
Joined: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:23:35 UTC
Location: Derry Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby m330d » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 12:10:56 UTC

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtop ... upply+pump

An interesting thread seems pump in tank is to take fuel from one side(right) to other as tank has a hump in centre.If tank is more than 1/2 full shouldnt be a problem even if faulty by look of it. :D
m330d
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 16218
Joined: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:23:35 UTC
Location: Derry Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby Ultimatio » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 12:22:53 UTC

I think that gurrgling was the fuel returning to the tank, and obviously if there is air in the system then it would make that noise. Forgot there is a return to the tank so thought it might be pump. I've asked seller for part number to see what pump it is but would the later pump be a more reliable design as an improvement if BMW knew the old one only had a certain life span? As long as the pump fitted and had the same connector I assume it will be ok?
Ultimatio
User

Posts: 32
Joined: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:53:52 UTC

Postby m330d » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 12:36:01 UTC

Ultimatio wrote:I think that gurrgling was the fuel returning to the tank, and obviously if there is air in the system then it would make that noise. Forgot there is a return to the tank so thought it might be pump. I've asked seller for part number to see what pump it is but would the later pump be a more reliable design as an improvement if BMW knew the old one only had a certain life span? As long as the pump fitted and had the same connector I assume it will be ok?


If it had same connectors and fitted should be fine just worried might be different /not fit for some reason (size etc)couldnt find that part number yesterday but today found it easy. :oops: From looks of it if you fill take up to say 3/4 and its no better then pump at tank could be ruled out from what i can gather so its either pre supply or injector leaks.Injectors checked so hopefully pre supply is causing low pressure to pump and all your trouble.Hopefully. :D
m330d
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 16218
Joined: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:23:35 UTC
Location: Derry Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby Ultimatio » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 16:03:59 UTC

I hope so too, but with these postal strikes might be next week when I find out! I'll keep updating when pump arrives.
Ultimatio
User

Posts: 32
Joined: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:53:52 UTC

Postby m330d » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 16:43:55 UTC

Ultimatio wrote:I hope so too, but with these postal strikes might be next week when I find out! I'll keep updating when pump arrives.


Ok that will do. :D
m330d
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 16218
Joined: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:23:35 UTC
Location: Derry Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby Ultimatio » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:03:23 UTC

Finally, an update. 'New' pump arrived that I bought from ebay (smelling of diesel) so I have been considering whether to fit it or not. I have decide to use it as it is cheap, so fitted it to the car and.... No change! Doh! So next up is the sensor, which i've ordered from BMW which should be in tomorrow (Tue), but if that does not cure it I don't know what it could be?!? What regulates the pressure from the pump? Is it only fed voltage coresponding to the pressure? I measured the voltage and it is 11.7v which seems ok. I can't afford to keep changing parts hoping they will fix the car, but if its not sensor I don't know what it could be. Any Ideas will help!!!

Also on another note I changed the from suspension bush yeaterday and what a nightmare if you don't know what your doing. Here's a quick guide. With the car jacked up or on ramps; Take the trianglular frame off the bottom of the car. Take the bolts out of the bushes and drill a small hole in the end of the wishbone to locate pullers. Use bering puller to remove old bush. Clean end of wishbone and lube up with vaseline or soap and lube the indide of the new bush. Push new bush on and use G clamp to force it back into place. Bolt back up. Simple (When you know how!)
Ultimatio
User

Posts: 32
Joined: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:53:52 UTC

Postby m330d » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:28:52 UTC

If the new pump wasnt new id be opening a paypal dispute.Now you cant be sure if its the pump or not.

Need to check injector leakoff im afraid that is now the most likely case of a drop in pressure.
m330d
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 16218
Joined: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:23:35 UTC
Location: Derry Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby Ultimatio » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:02:23 UTC

I have done injector leakoff and injectors seem to be fine as does the rail pressure, so I will see how new sensor works tomorrow. Hopefull I can pop out dinner time and fit the sensor then.
Ultimatio
User

Posts: 32
Joined: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:53:52 UTC

Postby m330d » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:58:38 UTC

Ultimatio wrote:I have done injector leakoff and injectors seem to be fine as does the rail pressure, so I will see how new sensor works tomorrow. Hopefull I can pop out dinner time and fit the sensor then.


I dont hold out much hope and injectors could be leaking into the engine as well so dropping pressure.Keep us posted anyway.
m330d
BMW Warlord

User avatar

Posts: 16218
Joined: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:23:35 UTC
Location: Derry Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland (NI)

PreviousNext

  • Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 3 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online

Users browsing this BMW forum: AdsBot [Google], Bing [Bot] and 17 guests

cron