BMW: selecting reverse gear? : BMW 3 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

selecting reverse gear?

BMW forum 3 series car: E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F31, F34, F35

Moderator: Moderators

selecting reverse gear?

Postby blobster » Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:46:31 UTC

I am still getting used to my new car: 320D SE (6) and am not sure if I am selecting reverse gear the right way? All the other cars I have had (Fiat, Ford, Vauxhall, Honda etc) have had quite a positive way to select reverse, for example pushing down and across or lifting a collar to allow access to reverse gear (you know what I mean?). It seems to me that you just shove the stick to the left and then up on my new car, is this the correct way?
320D SE (6) 54 plate
blobster
Intermediate

Postby Dave.B » Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:54:40 UTC

Yes that right. You should notice that it takes considerably more effort to shove it past first/second towards reverse. This is what stops you accidentally selecting reverse.
If it requires no extra effort to move it over, then something may be wrong.
1998 318iS
Dave.B
BMW Warlord

Postby blobster » Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:46:51 UTC

Thanks Dave, it DOES require extra effort so I assume all is correct!
320D SE (6) 54 plate
blobster
Intermediate

Postby nasht » Mon, 20 Mar 2006 21:08:46 UTC

blobster wrote:Thanks Dave, it DOES require extra effort so I assume all is correct!

It requires a small bit of extra effort, not alot though.... The gearbox is double springed against reverse so in effect you are moving the gear knob against 2 springs....

Takes a bit of getting used to, when I first my Dad's car out I used to plan my driving around not needing to reverse :oops:
but you do get used to it....
There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't.
nasht
BMW Warlord

Postby Simianino » Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:41:39 UTC

The detent to engage reverse on my coupé is quite stiff but understandably so because otherwise, as others have pointed out, I would put it into reverse rather than first which might make pulling away from traffic lights an interesting proposition (although the PDC would be useful in these circumstances).

BMW have got it right though with this sort of gate pattern - the reverse is stiff but first is straight up against the detent which makes it easy to engage first and second gears. Some other cars I have driven either had a less pronounced detent which made it easy to slip the car into reverse or, and more frustratingly, first gear was slightly ahead of the detent so you couldn't push all the way to the detent and up - you had to push in a strange diagonal motion to slip it into first - obviously with time you got used to the travel and position of the notch into first but before then, downshifts were a bit of an adventure.

The best gate pattern in my opinion on a five speed gearbox is to put reverse under fifth gear - no detent to contend with and easier to avoid reverse from fifth to fourth/third than it is to avoid reverse in a stationery car into first with the BMW gate pattern.
Simianino
User

Postby jonno_ » Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:47:12 UTC

Simianino wrote:The best gate pattern in my opinion on a five speed gearbox is to put reverse under fifth gear - no detent to contend with and easier to avoid reverse from fifth to fourth/third than it is to avoid reverse in a stationery car into first with the BMW gate pattern.

Fair enough, but coming from a 6 gear box it could cause some issues :wink:
jonno_
Advanced
Site Supporter

BMW Members Cars: Mazda Bongo
535d Sport
Porsche 997 c2s
England (EN)

Postby blobster » Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:07:41 UTC

Well spotted jonno!!!

Thanks for the help fellas (and ladies!), its not a problem as such but just different to what I have been used to. Will post some pics as soon as I can, got lovely 17" alloys on which really set the car apart from other BMW`s I have seen.
320D SE (6) 54 plate
blobster
Intermediate

Postby nasht » Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:54:13 UTC

blobster wrote:Well spotted jonno!!!

Thanks for the help fellas (and ladies!), its not a problem as such but just different to what I have been used to. Will post some pics as soon as I can, got lovely 17" alloys on which really set the car apart from other BMW`s I have seen.

Cant wait to see the pictures :D
nasht
BMW Warlord

Postby alli » Wed, 22 Mar 2006 19:55:59 UTC

I sometimes find it quite difficult to figure out whether I'm going into reverse or first gear - I find looking to see if my mirror is dipping helps (I know, I know, but I'm blonde, don't hold it against me! :D )
325 Coupe Sport. My husband bought it for me..........because I'm worth it ;-)

Don't save anything for a special occasion - being alive is a special occasion..........
alli
Overdrive

Postby Simianino » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 02:36:28 UTC

jonno_ wrote:Fair enough, but coming from a 6 gear box it could cause some issues :wink:

Indeed, good point :)
Simianino
User

Postby Mandala » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 07:46:38 UTC

When we first got the coupe my girlfriend couldn't get it into reverse at all, she just doesn't have the hand strength. Still don't think she finds it very easy.
Mandala
User

Postby blobster » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:17:19 UTC

Can you not think of a hand exercise she could practice to strengthen her grip!?! :oops:
320D SE (6) 54 plate
blobster
Intermediate

Postby nasht » Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:31:15 UTC

blobster wrote:Can you not think of a hand exercise she could practice to strengthen her grip!?! :oops:

Let her take the car round silverstone for a few hours, all those gear changes will help :lol:

(Thought I'd recover that :wink: )
nasht
BMW Warlord

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 3 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online