BMW: E46 Engine problem - please help : BMW 3 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

E46 Engine problem - please help

BMW forum 3 series car: E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F31, F34, F35

Moderator: Moderators

E46 Engine problem - please help

Postby wass86 » Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:02:10 UTC

I have just recently bought a 318iSE 2002 facelift model. Today is my second day of owning the vehicle. I drove it yesterday on the motorway and it was spot on, no problems what so ever. Drove about 100 miles.

But this morning I tried starting the car and it took longer than usual. When i revvd the car it hesitates as if the head gasket had gone and it miss firing, then the engine management light came on.

I took it to a local garage and he scanned it with his computer and it gave him an error code "P1341" which means one of the spark plugs are miss firing. he replaced all sparkplugs and it was still the same. He is telling me that the engine is blown(done 67,000miles) head gone....??

I think its an electrical problem or some sensor, he demonstrated that one of the plugs is not working at all and the other is weak. The end two are perfect. He said the compression is leaking and not been made. I will get a compression test done before I get the head re-skimed.

Any Ideas?
wass86
User

Postby eddie » Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:49:22 UTC

Ignition coils are a recall on this model I had mine done last year, get in touch with a main dealer, they will do it free.
eddie

Postby baboo pardesi » Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:57:21 UTC

wass86  where did you purchase it from. ?

I dont think the garage man has diagnosed the fault correctly,like eddie sais, take it to the main dealer, i believe there was a recall relating to this issue.

Let us know how you get on.
baboo pardesi

Postby wass86 » Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:08:12 UTC

Thanks guys!

The exact model is 318iSE, 51reg 2002 but facelift. 5door manual.

When was there this recall? Where can I check this, I know dealer will probably lie and say there was no recall, is there any evidence of  a recall?

I have no service with the car either, so I won't know if it was changed.

Does it seem like the coils are faulty to you guys?

After reading the forums I belive its impossible to guess!

Is there anyway of checking these as I really need to know ASAP! I read a post on here about checking them with a voltmeter, but no body has replied to that.

I know for definate it says the "P1341" code when he diagnosed it, so its something todo with the coils/sparkplugs!

Cheers guys, any other info would be very usefull.
wass86
User

Postby Dave.B » Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:14:08 UTC

I'd say one or two faulty coils would be the problem, as mentioned by Baboo and Eddie.

If there was a recall, a dealer will carry it out for you, without a doubt. They have no reason to lie to you as BMW(GB) pay them to do the work.

I'd hesitate to suggest testing the coils with a voltmeter. These things churn out several thousand volts and if you don't know what you are doing you'll get zapped.

If this was indeed a recall (I don't know as I don't have an E46), take it to a dealer. Simple and easy.

If it's not a recall, find a good local independant. Don't be afraid to ask for recommendations here.
1998 318iS
Dave.B

Cheers....

Postby wass86 » Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:51:41 UTC

Just in case they are not a recall, how much will i be looking at?
Is worth visiting scrapers and getting full set and keep some for spares as it seems like a common fault?

Any ideas?

Im live in Yorkshire area so if anyone knows any one local for these please let me know.

Once again its my first day ere and sceond day with a BM, BM has proved to be troublesome but you guys are great. See what happens and i'll keep you guys posted. I hope its worth keeping a BM, I had 02 Civic Coupe b4 better lookin than the type R, never has an issue ever.....regret selling it now, looked stunning and black......(American Built!!)
wass86
User

Postby eddie » Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:25:20 UTC

Mines a 52 reg 318ise valtronic facelift, its definately a recall, usually done on a service, mine was running ok before they done the coils and still runs ok. It was a suspect batch of coils likely to break down just like yours sounds, so BMW replaces the lot on a service recall, as I said get it to a main dealer. Then enjoy the car for what it really is.
eddie

Postby baboo pardesi » Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:29:05 UTC

wass86 The AA site has a list of manufactuer recalls.

Here is the link.

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recal ... &makeId=A4

You could also give BMW GB a call to customer service and they can advise when the re-call was made
baboo pardesi

Postby eddie » Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:50:52 UTC

Baboo
Its not mentioned there, I think they are all safety related only. My Stealer Snows on the Isle of Wight  told me they had to do it as it was a company recall, during the oil srvice.
eddie
eddie

Re: E46 Engine problem - please help

Postby Mystic Sport » Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:12:22 UTC

wass86 wrote:I have just recently bought a 318iSE 2002 facelift model. Today is my second day of owning the vehicle. I drove it yesterday on the motorway and it was spot on, no problems what so ever. Drove about 100 miles.

But this morning I tried starting the car and it took longer than usual. When i revvd the car it hesitates as if the head gasket had gone and it miss firing, then the engine management light came on.

I took it to a local garage and he scanned it with his computer and it gave him an error code "P1341" which means one of the spark plugs are miss firing. he replaced all sparkplugs and it was still the same. He is telling me that the engine is blown(done 67,000miles) head gone....??

I think its an electrical problem or some sensor, he demonstrated that one of the plugs is not working at all and the other is weak. The end two are perfect. He said the compression is leaking and not been made. I will get a compression test done before I get the head re-skimed.

Any Ideas?

The garage is talking pony and quite clearly doesn't know a BMW from an allegro. 100% sure one or more of the ignition coils has given up. I had all four changed in my 318ci as had my dad in his 318ci. Also had a coil replaced in my 325, I could go on, suffice to say the bosch coils are/were an issue. Go into your local $tealer and stamp and scream until they are replaced FOC.
Nurburgring Junkie!!!
Mystic Sport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Postby baboo pardesi » Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:22:20 UTC

Error code 1341 relates to : Ignition Coil Output Stage 1 Short To Ground
the dealer should replace free of charge if it was a recall
Last edited by baboo pardesi on Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:05:00 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
baboo pardesi

Postby blondini » Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:54:29 UTC

Search on Yahoo:- P1341  Multiple Cylinder Misfire With Fuel Cut-off (BMW)
blondini
BMW Warlord

Postby Pete » Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:46:30 UTC

hi wass86, dont worry bout ya car mate i am confident the fellas on this site know what they are talkin about. :wink:

It s a real bummer when you get a new car and you get a fault on it. I think when you get intermittent or difficult faults, you need to go to main dealer..its probably cheaper in the long run...( i have learnt from experience ..the hard way !)  :cry: ... if you go to non franchised dealers all you will get is poor advice , they change every potential faulty part... the fault remains , and then you are about $500 down as well  ! .... :x

Good luck
pete  :D
Pete
Overdrive

Postby blondini » Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:48:54 UTC

[quote="baboo pardesi"]Error code 1341 relates to : Ignition Coil Output Stage 1 Short To Ground
/quote]

Hi Baboo. Didn't that say 'Camshaft Position Sensor B Range / Performance' before it was edited? That's why I thought it was odd and posted what I found. I think some codes over a certain range are manufacturer specific but I can't find a pukka BMW list?

Hey wass86. Hope this works out ok for you.
blondini
BMW Warlord

Postby Mystic Sport » Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:19:51 UTC

One other thing. If the car is under BMWs warranty then call out BMW assistence on monday and they will replace all four coils. Had them out my old 318ci and my dad got them out to his 318ci and they replaced them. Takes about 10 mins to do.
Mystic Sport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Thanks guys

Postby wass86 » Mon, 01 Aug 2005 10:26:48 UTC

:n00b: :lol: Thanks guys,  you were all right, I swapped the coils about in the engine and a found that one of them was totally dead and the other is weak. I started the engine and removed one at a time to see if they made any difference to tick over. the 3rd made a very slight difference and the second made no difference at all, guess that ones dead! Moved that one somewhere else and it still didnt work so that rules out head gasket.

Ring dealers today and they told me that my car has no outstanding recalls!

Anyway coils £23.41inc VAT so I might just replace them all.

Thanks guys. :lol:
wass86
User

Postby peterbmw » Mon, 01 Aug 2005 10:55:39 UTC

which indy did you use dude?
peterbmw
Intermediate

indy?

Postby wass86 » Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:03:09 UTC

:evil: Whats an Indy? :evil:

I went to local garage first on Saturday,(dealers were shut).

He used a computer and told me that Cylinder 1 was nackered and my engine had gone. So i took it home and did my own tests AFTER read/joining the forum. He was too busy and said bring it monday(:banned: knew (i think), just trying to rip me off...!!)

Fingers crossed, i'm at work now and cars at home, so shall give guys an update later on.
wass86
User

Re: Thanks guys

Postby ACS » Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:28:26 UTC

wass86 wrote:Ring dealers today and they told me that my car has no outstanding recalls!
What brand of coils do you have? I've read somewhere that Bremi coils (up to 42wk/2002) have an insulation defect so maybe that's the subject of the recall and not for Bosch-equipped ones.
ACS
Intermediate

Postby wass86 » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 08:05:57 UTC

I dont know.... will have a look tonight.

The dealers said this car has no recalls on it.... How can I prove or find out if it has? If it does have bremi coils...then can I get a refund on the ones i purchased earlier?
wass86
User

Next

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 3 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online