BMW: e39 steering rack : BMW 5 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

e39 steering rack

BMW forum 5 series car: E12, E28, E34, E39, E60, E61, F07, F10, F11

Moderator: Moderators

e39 steering rack

Postby JavaMan70 » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 22:44:28 UTC

Hi There ,

I require advice on replacing the rack on an e39 as mines is shagged!!! Loads of folk tell me they never fail, well - I don't believe them!

I've heard you need to raise the engine 1.6 inches to provide clearance, then presumably you withdraw it through the drivers side?

As I do not have a lift, I was going to jack the engine up from the sump (it's made of alloy - Jings crivens) _ I was going to use a wooden block to spread the weight around.

Anyone done one of these, have any advice ?

Cheers
JavaMan70

Postby eddiec » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:41:45 UTC

Haven't done this myself but jacking on the sump is fraught with danger as I think you realise. However, appreciate you may have no alternative but if you do go this way suggest use as much wood as possible to spead the load. Possibly a substantial plank below the sump with a trolley jack either side of the engine may spread load better than single point load (albeit with wodden block).

This may help...

E39 Steering Rack Removal 001

E39 Steering Rack Removal 002
eddiec
Overdrive

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 5 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online