BMW: 520d Vibration in Cabin on Idle : BMW 5 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

520d Vibration in Cabin on Idle

BMW forum 5 series car: E12, E28, E34, E39, E60, E61, F07, F10, F11

Moderator: Moderators

520d Vibration in Cabin on Idle

Postby phivos » Tue, 25 Nov 2008 20:16:44 UTC

I was just about ready to order a 520d, after ruling out Audi A6 and Merc E220. During the road test of a demo 520d everything was stunning with the car (excellent handling, descent acceleration, comfortable ride, etc)....until the car came to a stop! :cry:

While being idle (either with the Neutral or Drive), an annoying rattling noise was coming from the engine bay, transmitting vibration on the dash and the brake pedal. As soon as I would rev the engine slightly, the noice would immediatly go away. When the revs dropped down to idle, the noice kept coming back. Keep in mind that the engine was warm and ambient temp was around 20C. That kind of noice was a big let down coming from a car of this quality. I have been driving diesels for many years now and I have to admit that they don't make such noice. My old Astra 2.0 diesel and my Focus 1.8diesel did not ever make such noice.

That 520d noice resembles the noice that some old cheap auto transmission cars used to make when stopped with the D gear in position.

Is this normal with the 520d, or was it just that specific car? *** I need some feedback from 520d (AUTO) owners out there.*** For me that noice was such a disappointment that, I will have to decline that car in case it is normal with all 520d.
phivos
User

Postby dentist » Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:27:15 UTC

I am not sure if you are experiencing the same noise. My 520d is a year old with 10,000 on the clock. About 3 months ago it started making a vibration coming from the front end, in city traffic. It doesn't do it all the time and I cannot say that it sounds like a cheap auto car.
What is the noise you are experiencing like?
dentist

Postby phivos » Wed, 26 Nov 2008 20:51:39 UTC

DENTIST,
We are probably talking about the same thing. The noise I'm talking about is not unbearable, however it's something that I want to avoid. I wouldn't like to buy a new car knowing that in a short period it will start vibrating in city traffic.
Anyone out there with a 520d having the same problem???
phivos
User

Postby phil2 » Wed, 26 Nov 2008 21:13:33 UTC

Go ahead phivos with the 520d. No strange noises or vibrations in mine and drove 2 more of the same thing...still quiet. Mine is almost 2yrs old with 24k on the clock.
phil2

Postby Peter » Wed, 26 Nov 2008 22:02:44 UTC

I can't speak for the 520d, as I've not driven one, but it does appear strange and it should not be a normal feature.

I've known one 4-pot diesel car that gave some strange vibrations to the car at idle and it was simply the engine acoustic cover, not fitting correctly and building a sort of 'amplified' resonance. Just a thumb placed on it stopped the vibration. A bit of adjustment transformed the car inside. Could be as simple as that.

BTW, it was worse when the engine was hot, as the part expanded...

Peter
Car: BMW F11 535i M-Sport Auto Touring
Peter
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Postby phivos » Wed, 26 Nov 2008 22:37:19 UTC

Thanks Peter,
You are probably right. It was definetely a resonance, I just couldn't fiddle with a demo car despite the fact that I really wanted to figure out if it was a common 520d noise or just a problem with that specific car.
I really hope you are right because other than this drawback I liked that car.
phivos
User

Postby k44ent » Wed, 26 Nov 2008 23:10:17 UTC

LCI 520d, 15k miles 8 months old and no strange noises, 48mpg and no problems yet. Sounds like a problem specific to the car you tested, the BMW 4 cylinder is no where near as refined as the 6 cylinder BMW units but probably one of the best 4 cylinder diesel engines on the market.
2013 Polaris White Jaguar XF 3.0D Luxury
2012 Crystal Blue Jaguar XF 2.2 190 SO:D
2011 Silver Jaguar XF 2.2d - SOLD
2010 F10 520d SE - SOLD
Previous 2008 BMW E61 520d SE, 2006 E60 520d M-Sport, 2005 E60 520d SE......
k44ent
Overdrive

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby phivos » Thu, 27 Nov 2008 18:46:58 UTC

Thanks k44ent!
Your input is much appreciated. So far the inputs are even 2 against 2, but I get the feeling that it should be a problem of that specific car I happened to drive.
phivos
User

Postby Derek T » Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:21:21 UTC

phivos wrote:Thanks k44ent!
Your input is much appreciated. So far the inputs are even 2 against 2, but I get the feeling that it should be a problem of that specific car I happened to drive.

Hi

I have the same issue with my car and this is not a diesel, I have spoken to the main dealer and he has mentioned that there is a puma report on the issue. There is a mod for it , long job he says but fortunately mine is still under warranty. Might be worth a call and mention the puma report.. Good luck mate.
325d msport 2007 3ltr
Silver with beige leather and burr walnut. Active steering, active headlamps, elec sunroof,proff satnav with voice,logic 7, sun protection glass electric lumbar seats and comfort pack.
Derek T

BMW Members Cars: 325d msport 2007 3ltr
Silver with beige leather and burr walnut. Active steering, active headlamps, elec sunroof,proff satnav with voice,logic 7, sun protection glass electric lumbar seats and comfort pack.
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby bmpaul » Tue, 30 Dec 2008 09:39:33 UTC

why dont you test drive a different 520d somwhere else then you will know if it is just that car that is doing it
'92 E36 318i- first BMW, we all gotta start somewhere!
'94 E34 525ise- 225k on the clock
'96 E39 528ise- sadly gone before time- i miss her
'96 E38 728i- nice.
'03 E39 530d M-sport- v fast
bmpaul
Overdrive

Re: 520d Vibration in Cabin on Idle

Postby Mick 636 » Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:59:04 UTC

I have a 320 d sport with exactley the same problem it has been to two differnt dealers on seven different occasions but none can find the cause of this vibration,i have also contacted bmw who said they have not heard of this problem ,but they fefuse to send anyone out to listen to it,they say if the dealers cant find the problem there is little else they can do........BIG HELP.
phivos wrote:I was just about ready to order a 520d, after ruling out Audi A6 and Merc E220. During the road test of a demo 520d everything was stunning with the car (excellent handling, descent acceleration, comfortable ride, etc)....until the car came to a stop! :cry:

While being idle (either with the Neutral or Drive), an annoying rattling noise was coming from the engine bay, transmitting vibration on the dash and the brake pedal. As soon as I would rev the engine slightly, the noice would immediatly go away. When the revs dropped down to idle, the noice kept coming back. Keep in mind that the engine was warm and ambient temp was around 20C. That kind of noice was a big let down coming from a car of this quality. I have been driving diesels for many years now and I have to admit that they don't make such noice. My old Astra 2.0 diesel and my Focus 1.8diesel did not ever make such noice.

That 520d noice resembles the noice that some old cheap auto transmission cars used to make when stopped with the D gear in position.

Is this normal with the 520d, or was it just that specific car? *** I need some feedback from 520d (AUTO) owners out there.*** For me that noice was such a disappointment that, I will have to decline that car in case it is normal with all 520d.
[align=justify]
Mick 636

Postby phivos » Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:23:22 UTC

I have searched for the so called "PUMA REPORT" but didn't have any luck. BMW dealer knows nothing about it or just claims so. I'll try to test drive another 520d.
Anybody knows anything about the PUMA REPORT?
phivos
User

Postby Derek T » Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:58:36 UTC

phivos wrote:I have searched for the so called "PUMA REPORT" but didn't have any luck. BMW dealer knows nothing about it or just claims so. I'll try to test drive another 520d.

MIne is going in tomorrow for a host of issues on the car!!! I will try to get some more info on this report if i can. The vibration on mine is whilst on tick over as the revs drop and you feel it through the seating and floor pan, BMW guy has said there is a mod for this (he is the one that says the puma report) Apparently the puma reports are issued by BMW to the main dealers. This is the second time I have complained about the same issue, maybe first complaint they don't do anything due to costs!!! I will wait and see how succesful this is. I love the car and this is my second BMW, last one a 3 series with no problems what so ever. but now regretting spending so much money on buying it.

Will update when I get the car, don't know what day though.

Cheers Derek
325d msport 2007 3ltr
Derek T

United Kingdom (uk)

Engine vibration

Postby kettle » Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:15:30 UTC

:D Hi I've had a 520d auto for 18months now from new and I can't fault the car.Don't let it put you off
Best of Luck Ray Killiner
RAY 222
kettle
User

Postby Derek T » Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:25:30 UTC

phivos wrote:I have searched for the so called "PUMA REPORT" but didn't have any luck. BMW dealer knows nothing about it or just claims so. I'll try to test drive another 520d.

im to book it in!!
Phivos

I have the car back now, seems they have sorted the issues I have had. They were very coy about the report and would not comment any further. They say they have made a few adjustments to mine!!!! The vibration has now gone!! Funny that. I am sorry I could not find any more out for you, I said it was a mate having the same probs with the diesel but they said to get him to book it in!!

The bets of luck trying to sort it out.
Sorry again mate
Derek
325d msport 2007 3ltr
Derek T

United Kingdom (uk)

Re: 520d Vibration in Cabin on Idle

Postby Bennetts37 » Sun, 01 Feb 2009 22:52:24 UTC

I had a similar noise on my 58 plate 520SE Touring, it turned out to be loose bolts holding the airbox under the bonnet.

The dealer tightened the bolts and the noise has not returned since.

Steve B
520d SE Touring Auto
Bennetts37
User

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 5 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online