BMW: E39 Ignition Key. Coding new key to central locking/alarm. : BMW 5 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

E39 Ignition Key. Coding new key to central locking/alarm.

BMW forum 5 series car: E12, E28, E34, E39, E60, E61, F07, F10, F11

Moderator: Moderators

E39 Ignition Key. Coding new key to central locking/alarm.

Postby silverbeemer525 » Sun, 11 Jan 2004 02:13:42 UTC

My car is 2001 525. I've just purchased a new ignition 'master' key from my dealer (£74!). Switched ignition on and off, as per handbook, to initialize it. Works fine as ignition key (immobilizer chip in key is recignised OK), but the buttons will not work the central locking. Is there another initialization process to get the central locking/alarm receiver in the car to recognize the transmitter in a new key? I've driven quite a few miles with it to charge the battery. :roll:
silverbeemer525
Overdrive
Site Supporter

BMW Members Cars: 2001 E39 525i (gone)
2014 F10 528i manual
England (EN)

Postby Harry » Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:44:41 UTC

I haven't done this but the following advice is from bmwtips.com. Hope it helps.

Remote Key Re-Initialise - If a key fails to operate remotely, it will have to be re-initialised (all keys in sequence at the same time)

- Get in and “close all doors”

- Turn ignition on & off quickly (no more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds

- First key - hold down button #2 (unlock) while striking button #1 (lock) three times. Release button #2. Confirmed by door lock operation.

- Repeat for second key within 30 seconds of first.

- After last key then cycle the ignition on/off to finalise the process (not necessary to start the engine.

Both keys should now have new "randomly selected" security "code words" - asigned by the car's system.
Those codes will be continuously incremented within the new sequence each time you hit a button. It is when they get out of sequence with the car that they loose the capability to be recognised and you then have to do this again.

That occurs when you take longer than 1 minute changing the battery, or if you hit buttons more often the 1000 times when it is out of range of the car.

And there's the option of taking it back to the dealer - I wouldn't expect to be charged for something which they should have done anyway.

Cheers
Harry
E66 750. Feels neither pity nor remorse.
E70 4.8 SE Dynamic. Fears no puddles.
Harry
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Postby Hasso » Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:52:48 UTC

First. the immobilizer has nothing to do with initilize they key, its only fore remote controll of alarm.
You dont have the same key that I have but maybe its done on the same way??. I think so
If not the centrallocking locks and locks up again something you made is wrong fore thats the receipt
fore that you do it right.
Get in the car close all doors.
Put the key in ignitionlock and turn to position 1 but not more then 5 secunds, turn it back to 0 and take out the key.
Pusch buttom 1 ( the unlockbuttom) and hold it down!!. in 10 secunds push buttom 2 ( the lock buttom) 3 times, still holding buttom 1.
Release buttom 1. If centrallocking locks and open again the key is inilized OK.
If it dosn´t work do it again.
Then you do the same with next key in 30 sekunds. you dont need to put them in ignition only the same with buttoms.
If you miss the 30 sekundes with next key you must start all over again.
I have to change one key and the new have a red indicateeye and i saw the red eye flasching(transmitting) when I inilized the new key.

Your Key is av after 09/99 and gets the charching from the magnetic ring round the ignitionlock my old i have to change battery in and have 1 minute to do it fore holding the memory.
I see that Harry wrote in the same time :))

Also check the fuse to alarm so its not fautly, its give the same problem with remote.
Last edited by Hasso on Thu, 01 Jan 1970 01:00:00 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hasso
Advanced

Postby silverbeemer525 » Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:39:37 UTC

Thanks Harry.

That routine worked fine, and both keys now operate central locking OK.

I wonder why they don't put it in the handbook? It's not the sort of thing you are ever likely to work out on your own!

It would be worth posting this instruction in the technical tips section?
silverbeemer525
Overdrive
Site Supporter

BMW Members Cars: 2001 E39 525i (gone)
2014 F10 528i manual
England (EN)

Postby CliveL » Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:12:22 UTC

Hi,

I bought a second master key as well a few months ago, parting with 70 odd quid of my hard-earned cash, and I would have been very upset if the dealer hadn't programmed it to work with my car for that kind of money!!

Fortunately mine did so I am now the proud owner of two working master keys. I'm amazed they didn't take the two minutes to program it for you though..... :roll:

Clive
Clive Lawrence
1997 540i
Bournemouth, UK
CliveL
User

Postby Harry » Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:45:09 UTC

Glad it worked Silver. The BMW Tips website is a good 'un - although, being american, it's not all 100% applicable.

Not to detract from this fine forum.

Cheers
Harry
E66 750. Feels neither pity nor remorse.
E70 4.8 SE Dynamic. Fears no puddles.
Harry
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 5 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online