BMW: e39 headlight condensation : BMW 5 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

e39 headlight condensation

BMW forum 5 series car: E12, E28, E34, E39, E60, E61, F07, F10, F11

Moderator: Moderators

e39 headlight condensation

Postby Ryan1984 » Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:51:31 UTC

Right i am sure i am not the only person with this prob ' e39 headlight condensation ' , this is a pain as you can see condensation on the inside of the plastic cover.

is there a fix for these , do you have this prob , if there is a fix could some one please say how or a link etc.

any info on this would be fantastic.

Thank you.

Ryan.
I seem to bike more than drive now.....YAAAAA
Ryan1984
BMW Warlord

BMW Members Cars: E65 735I , Amazing car, Love it!
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby RPB » Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:17:50 UTC

Hi Ryan.... Hope I can help in return for your help ref EML problem I have. I've done a search and come up with some similar problems and answers.... Pasted below..

Q
Help please .... I have a 1999 523iSE that remains a pleasure to dwn and drive. I have found however that both headlights have quite bad condensation inside the polycarbonate lens. The second headlight went within a few weeks of the first making me think that there may be a vent blocked or something. I have tried drying them out which was only temporarily successful. I have now resorted to fitting small bags of Silica Gel to absorb the moisture. Any thoughts anyone?
A
"i found on my car that the leak was coming in from above the orange indicator area ( on the curve bit) you have to take the headlamp out dry it properly and the seal the glass bit above the indicator orange with silicone.... you will see a rubber seal in there.. it perishes over time "

A
I think there's a breather pipe [a rubber right-angle] on top of the h/lamp unit. Try making sure that's not been blocked by something & keep it clear.
To get rid of existing condensation, you may have to resort to the hair-drier "trick" you've read about. Otherwise, dismantle the h/light unit and reseal with clear mastik. Just be aware that if you go this route, there is a danger of breaking the plastic clips which hold the unit halves together, as they can become brittle with age..........

A
Make sure that all the rubber seals that are around the bulb holders - AE bulbs as well have not got rucked up or twisted - they need to make a good seal.

There are also little rubber right angeled hoses that stick out of the back of the headlights to vent condensation so make sure that these are clear and not blocked - other than that it really is as Golfather says - just dry them out with the main beam as taking them apart is a PITA due to the seals that have to be softend with a heat gun or in the oven.
RPB
Intermediate

Postby Ryan1984 » Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:28:32 UTC

Hi Phil , thanks for the reply mate :)

i removed the top bungs in both of the light for tonight and tomorrow ( sunday ) to see if that will clear them.

to day i did remove both head lights , cleaned them out etc and the drivers side seens to be spot on , but the pas side was still the same , so i removed just the pas side but came back , if i was to clean the inside of the plastic with somthing like WD40 do you think that would leve a soft film behind to stop this?

i all so put a small hole in both lights in the plastic trim ( you cant see it ) and as said 1 light has worked but the other has not.
Ryan1984
BMW Warlord

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby ROBBO523 » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 00:53:00 UTC

Put a hot rag over the lenses with the bungs out it draws the moisture out but remove it before the rag goes cold.
SI
ROBBO523
Advanced

Postby Ryan1984 » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 13:08:15 UTC

Hi ROB , i will give that a go mate , is this a fix as in it will come back the next day or is this a long term thing etc , i removed the top bungs last night to see if that would help , but have not been to the car yet lol :)

more info on this prob guys the better , thank you.

Ryan :)
Ryan1984
BMW Warlord

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby ajkgordon » Sun, 25 Feb 2007 18:46:35 UTC

I have the same problem with my near-side headlamp.

There is obviously water coming in - there's far too much for it to be simply condensation from changing temperature and humidity.

I took mine off and used the silicon trick. Followed the black seal all the way round. Worked for a while but the condensation has come back.

Maybe I missed a bit or the silicon has perished because of the heat, I don't know.

Infuriating.

But I will try again.
ajkgordon
Overdrive

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 5 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online