BMW: How do i take out my dash/clocks please ? : BMW 5 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact: [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

How do i take out my dash/clocks please ?

BMW forum 5 series car: E12, E28, E34, E39, E60, E61, F07, F10, F11

Moderator: Moderators

How do i take out my dash/clocks please ?

Postby naylor04 » Sat, 11 Nov 2006 09:53:06 UTC

Hiya guys, i'm totally fed up now with my abs light/atc light coming on so i'm going to remove the 2 bulbs. Only thing is........i dont know how to :oops:
Could someone please give me a bit of insight as i'm planning to do this asap.
I assume there a are a few screws to extract but i dont know about all the fiddley bits, i dont really want to take the steering wheel off as i dont wanna mess with the airbag and stuff.
My plan is to just pull the dash out far enough to twist the bulbs out, i dont really wanna take the whole thing out.
Any help would be grateful
Thanks guys.
naylor04
User

Postby Ser5bMw » Sat, 11 Nov 2006 10:16:05 UTC

Have you tried getting them re-set and/or fixed?

I wouldn't remove any bulbs. It will likely affect your next MOT, as I'm pretty sure these lights have got light up and go out to pass the MOT. I might be wrong though.

But, if you want to remove the cowl, its normally two screws at the top where it meets the dashboard. On my E34 when I removed the cowl, I managed to get it through the steering wheel without removing it.
530d GT M-Sport - '12 (On order, for September delivery)
116d Sport 3 door - '09
Ser5bMw
BMW Warlord

Thailand (th)

Postby k690bpp » Sat, 11 Nov 2006 10:16:33 UTC

you cant pull the bulbs out because there are none to pull out, the cluster is lit using leds built into the circuit boards and they cannot be got at without taking the entire cluster apart - not worth doing imho.

the cluster itself is very easy to remove (assuming its a e39), 3 screws above it come out and the cover pops out and then the cluster just falls out and no need to do anything with the steering wheel but just move it as far down and out as possible.

the proper thing to do would be to have the error codes read and the relevant parts repaired/replaced, with all the crappy weather we're getting now the abs and traction control might save you having an accident.
k690bpp
Advanced

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby dlevi67 » Sat, 11 Nov 2006 10:25:48 UTC

Assuming it's an E39 or E60, there's two Torx screws at the top of the instrucment cluster. Lower the steering wheel and pull it out as far as possible. Remove the screws, fiddle a bit with the cluster and it should come out. Remove cables and bulb holders should be accessible.

If it's an E34, I haven't the foggiest. Sorry.

Later edit: as k690bpp says, SOME of the indicators are LED (not all - for example, not the high beam), so I am not sure that you'd be able to do much. But it's a 10 minute job to check.
dlevi67
Overdrive

Postby kiforrest » Sat, 11 Nov 2006 10:50:38 UTC

This may be of assistance for removing the clocks...... also for cleaning contacts to help with dead pixel issues!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/240317/6
BMW F30 320ED with Pro Media, Visibility, Sports Auto, Seats & Wheel. Harmon Kardon Sound, M Adaptive Suspension too

BMW 130i-BT, Elec Mem Heated Seats, Voice, Xenons, Logic 7, Leather, Nav Pro, 'M' 18" 217's - Wk/end Warrior
kiforrest
BMW Warlord

Postby slim_boy_fat » Sat, 11 Nov 2006 12:38:53 UTC

Have you wondered why the warning lights are there and what they're now trying to warn you about? Messing with anything to do with brakes isn't the best decision you'll ever make, and the car MIGHT just really have something needing attention.

Even if it's a duff sensor (hopefully), I'd get it properly investigated, it might save your life.

Also as said above, MOT testers look for those things.............. :cry:
slim_boy_fat
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Scotland (SC)

Postby nottmbantam » Sat, 11 Nov 2006 17:14:37 UTC

There was a thread a few weeks ago - can't remember the author - but he took out the instrument cluster, pretty much as described already, a few screws to remove and a bit of fiddling around.

I'd agree with slim boy and the others - the lights are lighting up for reason, surely the cause needs to be dealt with?
nottmbantam
BMW Warlord

Postby machinehead525 » Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:16:28 UTC

there's a clue WARNING lights - get it sorted and forget about them! you wouldn't disconnect the tempature gauge because the car overheats so why ignore a failure in the brakes which could save your life? Ultimately your choice, just my 2p.

and as previously mentioned, of course, MOT inspectors look for such things.
Because life's too short not to............

Diamond Black '93 E34 525i Auto Saloon (sold)
Silver '99 E39 528i SE Auto Touring
Honda Fireblade for some real fun!!
machinehead525
BMW Warlord

BMW Members Cars: E39 Auto Touring 1999 Leather (heated), HIDs, Auto Wipers, high OBC, Glass sunroof, Electric Memory Comfort Seats, etc
England (EN)

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 5 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online