BMW: E61 Diesel Fuse Layout : BMW 5 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

E61 Diesel Fuse Layout

BMW forum 5 series car: E12, E28, E34, E39, E60, E61, F07, F10, F11

Moderator: Moderators

E61 Diesel Fuse Layout

Postby jasonh » Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:36:23 UTC

Could someone kindly take a photo of the fuse map (for front fusebox and rear fusebox) and post it up.

There should be a couple of cards inside the cubby hole on the right as you look into the boot. In my car the cards are missing and I really need to locate the fuse for the glow plug controller.

If you can't post the pictures please PM me so I can give you my email address, I can then post them up for others.

My car is an E61 535d but I think a fuse map for any E61 diesel should be adequate.

Thanks
jasonh
Overdrive

BMW Members Cars: 535d E61 2004

Re: E61 Diesel Fuse Layout

Postby alltorque » Sat, 25 Dec 2010 00:58:59 UTC

Found this online........ http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f9/ ... page2.html

If that is no use, send me a PM and I'll send you a piccie of the layout for my 2007 E60 LCI 535d Sport...its a bit late to do it tonight!
535d Sport LCI, Carbon Black, 172 x 19" wheels, sun protection glass, black leather, LOGIC-7, Sports Auto box with paddleshift, media pack, visibility pack, HUD, autoclose, USB-AUX in, remote entry, 350hp/700nm upgrade, de-limit, K&N filter
alltorque
Intermediate

Postby Clavurion » Sat, 25 Dec 2010 10:56:35 UTC

Glow plug control unit has direct voltage from alternator(and battery) without fuse. The only fuse for activation is in the E-box, where the engine ECU (DDE) is located. Very unlikely this fuse would have failed. The control unit itself is prone to fail; usually trouble code for every glow plug.
E39 530dA
Clavurion
BMW Warlord

Postby jasonh » Sat, 25 Dec 2010 12:08:27 UTC

Alltorque, thanks but the bimmerforum fuse map is the E60 and my rear fusebox has a different layout. A couple of pictures of your fuse maps would be appreciated. I've sent you a PM (I think it's showing as sent in my Outbox, but not showing in the Sent folder?!). Mine is pre LCi but hopefully the fuse map will be the same or similar.

Clavurion thanks for the info. INPA is showing faults on all glowplugs (I think) I couldn't figure out a way to export or capture the fault code info from INPA. I have just replaced 2 glowplugs based on the codes read last year. I did check all the plugs with a meter and only the 2 were open circuit. So I've got a full set of working plugs (when I put it back together anyway). I used the spaghetti online wiring diagrams at max zoom to look at the wiring. I can see the direct battery feed, but as you say a smaller 20A fuse on at fuse position 87. I just want to check that fuse before buying and fitting a new glowplug controller.

I'd have thought a duff controller would report other codes, it's supposed to be a ble to carry out self diagnostics, and if it was dead I should get another code.

Anyway I think it is looking like the controller, any idea how the big battery connector comes off? I can't see how to release it.
jasonh
Overdrive

Postby Clavurion » Sat, 25 Dec 2010 13:25:49 UTC

Fault on every glow plug is typical for control unit failure. I've seen this many times. There is a separate code for the control unit itself, but it comes on very rarely. The unit is in very tight place and quite pain to change.
E39 530dA
Clavurion
BMW Warlord

Postby Arunas B » Sat, 25 Dec 2010 14:47:51 UTC

You can check glow plugs from glow plug relay connector with multimeter, if plugs has 0.05-0.09 OHM than replace glow plug relay. They around £100 from dealers.
Arunas B
BMW Warlord

Lithuania (lt)

Postby jasonh » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 22:19:16 UTC

Clavurion thanks for the info.

Replaced the controller today. Car starts beautifully now - but at the moment it's not cold enough to really need the glow plugs...

Dealer said he'd sold 11 glow plug controllers this year, he therefore considered it a common fault.

Fiddly to change, but could be done in 30mins if all went well.

However today I read something interesting - BMW say not to jump start BMW diesels...... because it blows up the glow plug controllers.
jasonh
Overdrive

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 5 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online