BMW: 525d 2004 E61 : BMW 5 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

525d 2004 E61

BMW forum 5 series car: E12, E28, E34, E39, E60, E61, F07, F10, F11

Moderator: Moderators

525d 2004 E61

Postby davy-crockett » Tue, 14 Jul 2009 18:54:46 UTC

Hello all.

Had my Beamer for couple of weeks and all is not well. (previously had an E36 for nearly 7 years and no problems...daughter has it now).

Bought it privately, full Bmwsh, 136k, but high mileage doesn't bother me as it's a diesel.

However.......noted that the 'idrive' thingie said that the 'Diesel Particle Filter' was due for service in 100 miles....oh thinks I, get one of those from Euro Car Parts and fit next weekend......WRONG.......there's filters......then there's filters.....boy have I dropped a clanger.....previous owner probably couldn't believe his luck when I paid him the cash and drove off into the sunset!
I have done a lot of reading both on here and other sites.....and seems diesels have changed an aweful lot in the last few recent years!!!!
I am looking into getting one of these filters if I can from a breakers, have also been contacted by 'South Manchester BMW' who have quoted me £500 to recondition mine, with an 80k warranty ( better than over a grand for a new one.)
Any thoughts on the above, or the company, or suggestions as to anywhere else I can get a quote for recon'.....if in fact that is a viable option.
I'm new to this forum thing.....but finding it great.....this site in particular.

Thanks in advance.

Richard
davy-crockett
User

Postby Doogie » Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:01:40 UTC

I do remember someone else having their's done at a cost of about £1500. I would go down the route of finding one at a breakers I think. There is a search site somewhere online where you can submit the details of what you are looking for and the site forwards the details to various breakers. They then email you to let you know if they have what you are looking for and how much. Only trouble is that I can't remember the web address. Try a google search for it.

HTH

Edit....

Just googled it myself, there are quite a few sites that offer the service, one of them must come up trumps for you. Good luck!
Doogie

1998 E36 M3 Evo Saloon (Former 'Ring Toy, now sold)

2001 E46 M3 Coupe, Phoenix Yellow

2005 E61 535d SE, Sapphire Black, loaded plus retrofitted M5 Paddle shift steering wheel (fully working)
Doogie
BMW Warlord

BMW Members Cars: 10/2005 E61 535d (Touring) in Sapphire Black
10/1998 E36 M3 Evo Saloon in Daytona Violet (now Sold)
03/2001 E46 M3 Coupe in Phoenix Yellow
England (EN)

Re: 525d 2004 E61

Postby Peter » Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:43:49 UTC

Davy-Crockett wrote:... Bought it privately, full Bmwsh, 136k, but high mileage doesn't bother me as it's a diesel.

.....boy have I dropped a clanger.....previous owner probably couldn't believe his luck when I paid him the cash and drove off into the sunset!

I have done a lot of reading both on here and other sites.....and seems diesels have changed an aweful lot in the last few recent years!!!!

I don't think you are alone. The old diesel reputation for 'loads of miles', is out of date with the complex designs we now have. I'd also guess lots of cars will be (and are) moved on before big bills come the owners way.

DPFs are just one area where we need to budget in more service costs.

Hope you can source a decent used DPF.

Peter
Car: BMW F11 535i M-Sport Auto Touring
Peter
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Postby unity_neil » Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:59:56 UTC

This was one if the reasons I bought my e61, the previous owner had just had a bunch of stuff replaced and the idrive was showing long intervals until the next replacement. He also splashed out on 1 years extended warranty (£840!)

Sorry to hear of your issues, Breakers sounds favourite.
unity_neil
Intermediate

DPF

Postby davy-crockett » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 14:41:42 UTC

Thanks for the above replies everyone.

Second question now.
If I get either this one recon'd or another one from a breakers, and fit it myself, can I access the service interval thingie on the computer to reset the miles to the next change, as I think someone has suggested you can do if you do your own oil changes, or is this a job for a garage ( to reset the computer).....and would they do it anyway as they haven't fitted it/sold you a new one?
I think I am not looking forward to the answer to this one......

Cheers. (begining to wish I'd bought a petrol one now)
davy-crockett
User

Postby AlwynMike » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:16:02 UTC

[font=Comic Sans MS]There's a Sticky in the Tech Zone with instructions on changing the iDrive service reset - just scroll thorough until you get to the right bit.

Mike[/font]
Orient Blue '04 530d SE Manual. Now gone to pastures new.
LeMans Blue '09 335d E91. Bi-Xenons. Pano. ProNav. Drug dealer glass. Dog. Killed in action.
White '11 335d E91. As above. Trying to keep away from oncoming traffic on my side of the road.
AlwynMike
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 5 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online