BMW: N47 timing chain failure : BMW 3 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2013                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

N47 timing chain failure

BMW forum 3 series car: E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F31, F34, F35

Moderator: Moderators

N47 timing chain failure

Postby rr67 » Sat, 20 Apr 2013 22:31:33 UTC

Hi,
My 2007 BMW 318 d (N47 engine) timing chain snapped while on road. I have read in the BMW forum there are hundreds of you guys with similar problem with this engine. Since this happens while the car is in motion and generally does not give any warning before and in my case brought my car to a grinding halt this can be dangerous. Has anybody considered making an appeal to BMW to recall these cars and fix them before a major mishap happens. I am not sure BMW admits there is any problem with N47 engines though they have rectified this issue in cars after 2011.
rr67

BMW Members Cars: BMW 318d tourer 2007
United Kingdom (uk)

Re: N47 timing chain failure

Postby Peter » Sun, 21 Apr 2013 14:34:15 UTC

rr67 wrote:Hi,
My 2007 BMW 318 d (N47 engine) timing chain snapped while on road. I have read in the BMW forum there are hundreds of you guys with similar problem with this engine. Since this happens while the car is in motion and generally does not give any warning before and in my case brought my car to a grinding halt this can be dangerous. Has anybody considered making an appeal to BMW to recall these cars and fix them before a major mishap happens. I am not sure BMW admits there is any problem with N47 engines though they have rectified this issue in cars after 2011.

I really feel for anyone having this kind of failure, and clear to see wanting a recall, is a way to get BMW to take responsibility.

But not sure the safety card has any weight. Many cars have had cam belt failures, giving similar results. And I mean premature belt failures, long before the scheduled service change mileage. I can't recall reading such events meaning official recalls are needed. More a take it on the chin, some get goodwill for such premature events, but typically the manufacturers either do nothing, or shorten the service intervals in those models with biggest issues.

Doesn't help I know, but with a parallel mode of failure out there for many years, with thousands of failures on the move, hard to see the authorities like VOSA taking a hard line on timing chain failures. Perhaps the ratio of failures over a small production period adds weight, but we don't know what that ratio is and many cars (over the same build period) don't have any issue over 100k + miles of use.

Peter
Car: BMW F11 535i M-Sport Auto Touring
Peter
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Postby oliver1234 » Thu, 25 Apr 2013 10:23:54 UTC

hi . new to site ,Due to my timing chain snapped on 2010 316 on 26,000 miles .all sevices done by BMW .New engine needed .Bmw agent want me to pay ?
...help .. any advise ..i want to fight this ...
oliver1234

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby hp88 » Thu, 25 Apr 2013 10:34:07 UTC

Unless your car was registered between January 2010 and April 2010 it should still be covered under the three year manufacturers warranty. If the warranty has just run out then I would push for goodwill payment.
hp88
BMW Warlord

BMW Members Cars: BMW 320cd M Sport - Audi A3 2.0T S Line
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby oliver1234 » Thu, 25 Apr 2013 11:10:41 UTC

hi . good luck . My timing chain gone (march 2013) instantly while on road. 26,000 on 09-10 reg 316. The more i read on here and facebook , the bigger the promlem with BMW . Result new engine Quote 20 k from BMW dealer i purchased it from .help .i cannot afford that on a newish car .
oliver1234

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Peter » Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:19:05 UTC

oliver1234 wrote:hi . good luck . My timing chain gone (march 2013) instantly while on road. 26,000 on 09-10 reg 316. The more i read on here and facebook , the bigger the promlem with BMW . Result new engine Quote 20 k from BMW dealer i purchased it from .help .i cannot afford that on a newish car .

Hi, you've posted you have a 2010 model, as quoted in this post, 09-10 reg. If so, then surely you are under the 3-year warranty, assuming you are in the UK.

But at 26k miles (even without warranty), it is no life for a timing chain. Premature failure... You need to get your dealer to work on BMW. I'd be expecting 100% support from BMW at the mileage and age.

Peter
Car: BMW F11 535i M-Sport Auto Touring
Peter
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Postby injabia » Sat, 23 Nov 2013 20:20:38 UTC

Dear Friends,

I am new to this forum.

I’ve witnessed time chain noise. Took to the BMW I was told that if the issue is specific to time chain, I wont be charged for diagnosis and company will file for Good Will Gesture.

BMW called me yesterday, saying that:

Labour Cost 2240
Good Will Gesture : Covers Parts only, “BMW says since you bought car from some other dealer not BMW dealer”, this is not a valid reason, services have been done by BMW.
Car Reg 08 plate
Car mileage : 55000 miles
Condition :Excellent
Purchased date : July’13
Issue came in Nov’13
Time I had this car : 4 months

I visited the Franchise dealer, they didn't tell me how sever issue is, until i saw the my car observation file.

The guy kept insisting saying that the best offer as it varies from case to case, but in my case its not my fault clear cut Design/Manufacturing/Production issue not the buyer issue. Isn't that ill-legal to sell cars with the issue, without making customer aware of.

I’ve asked them what parts will they change and manufacture year, so i was told it’s the parts manufactured after 2010.

Means parts between 2007-2009 were having design/manufacturing issues.

Since faulty designed parts were put into car, that was done by BMW, then why I should bear the labor cost as well. Because what ever has been done its because of BMW not me.

I’ve got complete service history, kindly help me as how to progress/ deal with it as its giving me night mare my car has been with them for over 1 week and now have to put huge amount.

BMW should recall this people like me shouldn’t be bearing this heavy ransom/extortion.

Anybody can help on this as how to progress on this.
injabia

BMW Members Cars: 3 series n47 "time bomb"
United Kingdom (uk)

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 3 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online