BMW: Help with Telltale & Brake warning light : BMW 3 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

Help with Telltale & Brake warning light

BMW forum 3 series car: E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F31, F34, F35

Moderator: Moderators

Help with Telltale & Brake warning light

Postby Randles » Tue, 03 May 2011 20:39:50 UTC

Hi Guys - Just bought a e46 320d 2005 from York (300 miles away) and about 50 miles from home the telltale light lit up yellow with the brake warning light also yellow. Ive looked in the book but cant find a definite answer. Its not brake fluid Ive checked that so Im bit lost really. Ive googled it but cant really find an answer, im praying its nothing serious :( The thing thats confused me is that the car has been parked up for an hour so I thought Id take a picture of the lights in question but they are not coming back on I even took the car for a spin to see if they would come back on but nothing.

Does any one know what this means?

Thanks in advance for your help
Randles
User

Wales (CM)

Re: Help with Telltale & Brake warning light

Postby poppy sammy » Tue, 03 May 2011 20:50:08 UTC

I'd guess worn brake pads or a faulty brake pad sensor wire.Both are easy to fix,you will need to check the thickness of the brake pads,if all is okay then i'd get the fault codes read.
poppy sammy
BMW Warlord

Postby Randles » Tue, 03 May 2011 21:14:28 UTC

poppy sammy wrote:I'd guess worn brake pads or a faulty brake pad sensor wire.Both are easy to fix,you will need to check the thickness of the brake pads,if all is okay then i'd get the fault codes read.

Cheers mate I'll check them out in the morning, im praying it is something simple like that.

Thanks for the fast reply very much appreciated!
Randles
User

Wales (CM)

Postby Randles » Wed, 04 May 2011 05:24:25 UTC

Ive found a picture of the lights that came on if its anymore help.

Randles
User

Wales (CM)

Postby poppy sammy » Wed, 04 May 2011 09:19:51 UTC

Hi, that picture is saying that the traction control has been switched off.Have you accidentally pressed the button on the centre console.
Look for a button that has ASC or DSC on its face. If pressing the button has no affect on the instrument cluster then there is a fault in the system.
poppy sammy
BMW Warlord

Postby Randles » Wed, 04 May 2011 10:50:01 UTC

poppy sammy wrote:Hi, that picture is saying that the traction control has been switched off.Have you accidentally pressed the button on the centre console.
Look for a button that has ASC or DSC on its face. If pressing the button has no affect on the instrument cluster then there is a fault in the system.

No mate I havent touched it, theres a button with DSC on it but I havent been anywhere near it. Been driving around today and the lights arent coming back on maybe just a glitch?
Randles
User

Wales (CM)

Postby Randles » Wed, 04 May 2011 18:24:37 UTC

Well the lights came back on. I stopped the car for about 5 mins and then set off again, drove for about 5 mins and they didnt come back on. Think im just going to get it checked out.
Randles
User

Wales (CM)

Postby Randles » Mon, 09 May 2011 16:03:50 UTC

Well took the car to the garage today and had the fault code read:

5E21 - Pressure Sensor 2

5E20 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1

5DF4 - Voltage Supply Control Unit Too Low

As I understand "Brake Pressure Sensor 1" is a big fix and could cost a lot of money :( Really gutted! I have read that there is a repair kit for this which is around £150 mark is this true? Would be better than replacing the unit which I believe could cost around £1500.

"Pressure Sensor 2" is external so not so bad and not sure about "Voltage Supply Control Unit Too Low"

Ive had it cleared so no lights are showing and Ive been driving it quite a bit today. Fingers crossed they dont come back on.
Randles
User

Wales (CM)

Postby Randles » Sun, 15 May 2011 10:16:04 UTC

Well I had the car done. I turned out to be the two pressure sensors on the outside of the master cylinder cost me £300 to get the both replaced. A bit gutted but it could have been a lot worse I suppose.

At least it all sorted now.
Randles
User

Wales (CM)

Postby punk350 » Fri, 23 Sep 2011 15:44:59 UTC

I,VE JUST BOUGHT A 330 PETROL AND THE EXACT SAME THING IS HAPPENING TO ME. ONE MINUTE THE LIGHTS ARE ON THE NEXT THEY,RE OFF.
I,VE BEEN TOLD ITS NO DETREMENT TO THE CAR BUT ITS JUST ANNOYING
punk350

BMW Members Cars: 330i se
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby sg_frost » Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:03:33 UTC

No detrement to the car, that is until you need the abs and it doesnt work so you plough it into the car in front!
Full time BMW nut
E46 320d Touring, silver Written off
E46 320d Touring, blue sold
Running a E91 325d M sport touring, silver
Rally a E36 318ti compact in Dakar yellow, M42 engine, 320d crank, M3 pistons, 2.1Litre of fun,now sold :(
sg_frost
Overdrive

Wales (CM)

Postby punk350 » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:34:00 UTC

BEEN RUNNING CAR EVERYDAY NOW OLD ONES SOLD NO LIGHTS COMING ON NOW BEEN TOLD IT WAS BATTERY AS THESE MICRO SWITCHES WORK ON VERY SMALL AMOUNTS OF ELECTRIC
punk350

BMW Members Cars: 330i se
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby blondini » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 17:22:01 UTC

sg_frost wrote:No detrement to the car, that is until you need the abs and it doesnt work so you plough it into the car in front!

If the ABS was faulty it would show the ABS warning light, all that is off in the OP is DSC but that is a rather important safety feature too.
blondini
BMW Warlord

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 3 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online