BMW: Alarm / immobiliser problem...please help!!! : BMW 3 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact: [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

Alarm / immobiliser problem...please help!!!

BMW forum 3 series car: E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F31, F34, F35

Moderator: Moderators

Alarm / immobiliser problem...please help!!!

Postby DualBoot » Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:05:49 UTC

HI All,

Ok my starting problem reoccured this morning and the car wouldn't start. Same problem, key turns and dash light come on etc however there is nothing else. no relay click noises, no sound of the fuel pump initialising or anything.

Called out the RAC this evening to see if they could trace it. They tested the power at the starter motor and it wasn't getting anything so that ruled that out. he then tried to start it and would you belive it started! Anyone else had this before? it's obviously an intermittent fault but I guess it's an immobiliser problem?

Also, on my 318i (95N) does this have an alarm / immobiliser and if so should it have a LED dash light when active? is there a self test for it? there is what looks like an LED or space for one on the bottom left of the speedo just under the 140mph mark but nothing happens with it when i lock the doors.

Only had the car a week, just want to enjoy it but now i can't trust it!!

thanks for any help

DualBoot :cry:
95 318i my first Beemer, I'm hooked! The modding has begun......ICE install now completed
DualBoot
User

Sounds like trouble...

Postby webslinger » Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:19:29 UTC

Have you managed to sort out your problem yet with your alarm?
webslinger
Overdrive

Postby zarnd » Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:17:48 UTC

i have an e36, and my alarm led is down to the left of my cigarette lighter!

cheers
Alex

2009 Caterham Supersport Race car
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE

Previous:
2002 BMW M5 - TotalBMW Feature Car September 2008
1989 VW Golf GTI - Race Car
2005 Mini Cooper S
2001 BMW 530iA Sport
2000 Land Rover Defender 90
zarnd
BMW Warlord

BMW Members Cars: 2002 BMW M5
United Kingdom (uk)

Alarm problems.

Postby webslinger » Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:51:33 UTC

I guess you have no idea what make the system is.  Do you have an override key?  If you do it will return the car to factory standard so you can work out whether the fault is with the immobiler or the car loom.  Do you have any paperwork?

If it is an alarm as well please let me know what the key fob and siren look like so I can direct you to a local dealer that may be able to check.

I charge £25 to look at an alarm but it is money well spent for piece of mind
webslinger
Overdrive

Postby DualBoot » Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:28:39 UTC

I think I have sorted the problem. I have an aftermarket alarm fitted (foxguard) and have been peking with the supplier to get some alarm transmitters made. they advised that when I disconnect the unit to send to them to get the alarm code (for free, great eh) if the engine doesn't start I have to bridge certain wire on the cable block.

When I disconnected it wouldn't start, with the exact symptoms I was having. I made up my bridging connections while I have sent the alarm unit away and so far it hasn't occured again. so I guess it was a poor connection in the cable block of the alarm. The alarm does have a key override but i guess this still wouldn't have an impact if the connections were faulty.

As for the LED, there is an LED fitted with the aftermarket alarm but I wondered if BMW had fitted any kind of alarm / immobiliser that activates via the transponder in the key or lock/unlock of the central locking. surely there must be something and if so should a dash mount LED activate or not?

Thanks for all help / interest. Hopefully this is the end if it. When I get the alarm unit back i'll be sorted with an alarm / immobiliser and remote central locking.....great stuff!

DualBoot
95 318i my first Beemer, I'm hooked! The modding has begun......ICE install now completed
DualBoot
User

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 3 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online