BMW: 2003 E46 320d sport - Intercooler pipe pop'd : BMW 3 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2013                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

2003 E46 320d sport - Intercooler pipe pop'd

BMW forum 3 series car: E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F31, F34, F35

Moderator: Moderators

2003 E46 320d sport - Intercooler pipe pop'd

Postby mr mike » Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:48:08 UTC

Hi all, looking for some assistance please. The other night put foot down at 25 mph in 3rd and POP! off popped the the pipe from the intercooler. Managed (or my mate at the garage) to botch it together with some hose clips and today decided to call BMW to get a replacement pipe, to my shock horror he qutoed £161.87, he tells me the pipe only comes as complete assembly, i had hoped to get the end section only.

Just to be clear if you stand at the front of the car with the bonet up it is right side (NS) bottom of cooler where the pipe blew off.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so what is the best way to deal with it? Failing any great tips any idea where i can purchase this cheaper and if so is it likely to blow it off again?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give.

Mike
mr mike
User

BMW Members Cars: BMW E46 320d Sport (facelift) - Superchip map via Bluefin
Scotland (SC)

Re: 2003 E46 320d sport - Intercooler pipe pop'd

Postby chiffs » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 04:17:13 UTC

Are you saying the rubber pipe just came off or is it split?

If not split then why do you need to replace it?

As for replacement try sfs hoses or samco, both do silcone hoses which are fair superior to rubber
chiffs
User

BMW Members Cars: E46 320D M Sport
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby tequilatreatment » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:14:24 UTC

i had the same problem :( that piece of s*** costs a fortune.it dose come as complete assembly and you can find it only origynal from bmw ....
tequilatreatment

BMW Members Cars: bmw e46 320d 150hp
Spain (es)

Postby mr mike » Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:05:21 UTC

The metal end has worn but im told the cooler clip/clamp looks new. I searched everywhere but it looks like your right about it being BMW only part and at £161 im am very reluctant to purchase it.

You obviously replaced yours at that crazy pirce, has yours remained on since?

Cheers
Mike
mr mike
User

Scotland (SC)

Postby chiffs » Thu, 31 Mar 2011 19:18:09 UTC

mr mike wrote:The metal end has worn but im told the cooler clip/clamp looks new. I searched everywhere but it looks like your right about it being BMW only part and at £161 im am very reluctant to purchase it.

Cheers
Mike

Metal end worn? I dont quite understand what you mean by worn, its just a pipe with a rubber hose jubileed on that has air passing through it under pressure. If its poping the rubber hose off then either the jublee clip is too old or not tight enough surely?

Will have a proper look at mine tomorrow and see if i can see what you mean.
chiffs
User

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby mr mike » Fri, 01 Apr 2011 10:46:01 UTC

chiffs wrote:
mr mike wrote:The metal end has worn but im told the cooler clip/clamp looks new. I searched everywhere but it looks like your right about it being BMW only part and at £161 im am very reluctant to purchase it.

Cheers
Mike

Metal end worn? I dont quite understand what you mean by worn, its just a pipe with a rubber hose jubileed on that has air passing through it under pressure. If its poping the rubber hose off then either the jublee clip is too old or not tight enough surely?

Will have a proper look at mine tomorrow and see if i can see what you mean.

Hey Chiffs, it appears the same year same engine has differences,I managed to get the part number for the small pipe and ordered it, when i went to pick it up it was just a rubber pipe. They checked again and my car requires the complete assembly pipe (£161) that runs from cooler to Maf complete with air temp sensor, the end that joins cooler has roughly 2cm of metal braided to the rubber hose which clips into the plastic part of the cooler. The metal prongs/lips/ledges what ever you want to call them have worn and no longer reaches deep enough into the clip on the cooler hence it being spat off. Due to the £161 cost we have decided to botch it, currently held with 3 hose clips one on each part and one between the 2, not sure it will last although managed a week of 50 miles a day so far without issue, admittedly i have yet to press the throttle far just incase boost spits it off. Going to make a more perm botch of this by maybe drilling thru the metal part and fitting screws and sealing the pipe tightly with some sealer.
mr mike
User

Scotland (SC)

Postby chiffs » Fri, 01 Apr 2011 11:13:32 UTC

That make sense i think, so the i/c pipe is held on by some stupid clip thingy. Why didnt bmw just use the tried and tested method of a jubilee clip over a rubber hose.

What a little nightmare.

I would advise you not too use any form of sealant just in case any get sucked into the engine as these pipes are under pressure although i dont know how much boost the turbos run at.

Can anyone answer what boost pressure they run at?

Hopefully you will be able to sort a solution. Some pics would be good to help anyone else who get the same problem
chiffs
User

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby woody37 » Sat, 02 Apr 2011 17:20:12 UTC

This happened to mine last year. Bloody poor design, the only benefit I can see of this design is to help BMW boost their profits !
woody37
User

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 3 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online