BMW: GEARBOX OIL CHANGE PROBLEM : BMW 3 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact: [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

GEARBOX OIL CHANGE PROBLEM

BMW forum 3 series car: E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F31, F34, F35

Moderator: Moderators

GEARBOX OIL CHANGE PROBLEM

Postby k690bpp » Sun, 07 Nov 2010 19:25:29 UTC

i followed the instructions on how to do this from here...

http://www.impee.co.uk/transmission_fluid_change.htm

but when it came to undoing the drain/refill plugs i noticed that mine were not the same as in the how-to.

no big deal as they could be undone with a hex bit. only problem is that the plug has been rounded off! :shock:

it looks like someone has tried to get the nut off and using to small a hex bit and then used a pair of grips aswell. :!:

anyway the nut is knacked i tried to get it off using a hex bit one size bigger but there is no room to whack it on.

any ideas?

thanks.
k690bpp
Advanced

United Kingdom (uk)

Re: GEARBOX OIL CHANGE PROBLEM

Postby slim_boy_fat » Sun, 07 Nov 2010 19:34:15 UTC

Can you get someone [who knows what they're doing :wink: ] to weld a larger nut over the top? If so, remember to order your replacements prior to starting the job.

But first, I'd try one of those clever sockets with pins inside which are designed for just such a task.
Never underestimate the power of thrawn.
slim_boy_fat
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Scotland (SC)

Postby k690bpp » Sun, 07 Nov 2010 22:53:10 UTC

wasn't me who rounded the plug, it was like this when i took the covers off but it does seem as though some complete wonker has been at it! :(

anyone used j-b weld? i was thinking i could use it to weld in a hex socket and then slowly wind on it?

i don't think the the socket with pins on it will work as the plug looks like this and a socket wouldn't fix over it...

k690bpp
Advanced

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby rigeng » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 07:56:16 UTC

If all else fails you could try using a cold chisel on the outside circumference of the plug. Just hit the chisel hard enough for it to dig into the steel then try to gently get it moving anti-clockwise by carefully holding the chisel at an angle and tappinig it with the hammer (if you see what I mean). Assuming you have room of course!
rigeng
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Postby slim_boy_fat » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 12:38:59 UTC

Your pic makes things a bit clearer as far as what you're faced with.

Could you get access with an air grinder with a small disc on to cut a couple of flats on the nut, enough to get an open-ended spanner on there? Or even file them...... :cry:
Never underestimate the power of thrawn.
slim_boy_fat
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Scotland (SC)

Postby tenchiten » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 20:13:38 UTC

Try a stud extractor. If you can get a good sized one that's a good fit in the hole you stand a decent chance of getting the plug out without any violence :idea:
325Ci Sport Auto.. With a few adjustments.
tenchiten
Site Supporter

BMW Members Cars: E46 325Ci sport coupe
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Benji » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 20:17:29 UTC

Get a similar problem to this on vauxhall sump plugs, tap home the allen key make sure it is well and truly in, then attach a set of mole grips to the outside and twist both at the same time.
Benji
BMW Warlord

Postby k690bpp » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 23:12:39 UTC

thanks for all the advice.

Benji wrote:tap home the allen key make sure it is well and truly in, then attach a set of mole grips to the outside and twist both at the same time.

this won't work, the plug is on the side of the box and theres just no room to swing anything, it's where the pipe goes in...

tenchiten wrote:Try a stud extractor. If you can get a good sized one that's a good fit in the hole you stand a decent chance of getting the plug out without any violence

worth a go.

slim_boy_fat wrote:Could you get access with an air grinder with a small disc on to cut a couple of flats on the nut, enough to get an open-ended spanner on there? Or even file them...... :cry:

no, there no way to see enough of the plug to grind on it.

rigeng wrote:If all else fails you could try using a cold chisel on the outside circumference of the plug. Just hit the chisel hard enough for it to dig into the steel then try to gently get it moving anti-clockwise by carefully holding the chisel at an angle and tappinig it with the hammer (if you see what I mean). Assuming you have room of course!

this is probably a last resort.
k690bpp
Advanced

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby bmwmike » Tue, 09 Nov 2010 00:36:36 UTC

Hammer and chisel to the edge of the plug, will dig in and might just start turning it? Be careful of the alu casing btw.
bmwmike
BMW Warlord

Postby Arunas B » Tue, 09 Nov 2010 01:00:36 UTC

bmwmike wrote:Hammer and chisel to the edge of the plug, will dig in and might just start turning it? Be careful of the alu casing btw.

This method newer let me down :)
Arunas B
BMW Warlord

Lithuania (lt)

Postby k690bpp » Tue, 09 Nov 2010 22:04:44 UTC

Arunas B wrote:
bmwmike wrote:Hammer and chisel to the edge of the plug, will dig in and might just start turning it? Be careful of the alu casing btw.

This method newer let me down :)

will give it a go if the jb weld doesn't work.

thanks for all the advice.
k690bpp
Advanced

United Kingdom (uk)

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 3 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online