BMW: BMW e46 320d Timing Chain Tensioner : BMW 3 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2013                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

BMW e46 320d Timing Chain Tensioner

BMW forum 3 series car: E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F31, F34, F35

Moderator: Moderators

BMW e46 320d Timing Chain Tensioner

Postby old_rob » Fri, 13 Aug 2010 19:01:54 UTC

I have had to recently rebuild my engine after a swirl flap problem. I am struggling to work out how to fit the timing chain tensioner spring. Do I need to take the timing chain cover off?

Can anyone help?
old_rob

Postby poppy sammy » Fri, 13 Aug 2010 22:23:46 UTC

from memory you should have locked the timing chain tensioner in place using a dowel i used iirc a 5mm allen key.If you look on the timing chain cover
there is a grub screw(allen key) that you can remove which allows you access to the timing chain
tensioner.I'd suugest you buy a tis disk from ebay.Good luck
poppy sammy
BMW Warlord

Postby old_rob » Sat, 14 Aug 2010 10:22:57 UTC

Thanks. You are right, but unfortunatly I didn't lock the tensioner. The only way I can see to get the tensioner spring and piston back in is to either remove the head again, or the timing chain cover. I think it will be easier to remove the head (New gasket and bolts again). Removing the timing chain cover seems a bit involved.
old_rob

Postby poppy sammy » Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:56:04 UTC

first try applying some pressure as you need to compress the spring tensioner,according to tis its possible to refit the tensioner this way.It might be worth using a small flat head screwdriver or a similar tool first to locate the guide rail in the correct position before refitting the tensioner.Good luck
poppy sammy
BMW Warlord

Postby old_rob » Sat, 14 Aug 2010 15:18:31 UTC

Thanks. Tried that way, but failed. I couldnt reach in and get enough pressure on the spring. Have removed Head again and locked tensioner with locking pin. New Head gasket and bolts available on Monday.
The only outstanding problem I have is refitting the sump. It was a bugger to get off. I think I will have to completley undo the cross member to give enough room. Have already unbolted engine mountings and jacked engine up.
old_rob

Postby old_rob » Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:03:16 UTC

All back together again. Although the low pressure pump is delivering plenty of fuel to the high pressure pump, the high pressure pump does not seem to be pressurising the common rail. I have bled system, but still very low pressure. Engine will only run for a few seconds using easy start. Any suggestions anyone?
old_rob

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 3 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online