BMW: 320d m-sport exhaust : BMW Car Modifications • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

320d m-sport exhaust

BMW Car Modifications - BMW car chipping, BMW ECU remap, BMW power, BMW performance, BMW tuning sponsored by E-Maps

Moderator: Moderators

320d m-sport exhaust

Postby bmw_3ser » Sun, 16 Mar 2008 19:07:12 UTC

Alright guys- first post so hi.

The main reason I am here is because I have just purchased a 320d M-Sport automatic. I know your all thinking "oh no, automatic and a diesel!" The answer is a lot of miles due to work commitments!

Due to being an automatic and diesel, it doesn't really have a "sporty sound"- not that I was expecting it to but I've decided I would like a bit of grunt!

1/ I'm looking for something that isn't over the top (sound wise) and it's very expensive. I haven't really thought about money yet but I'll look at it when one comes about.

2/ No idea about exhausts- I don't think I want a "clip on" exhaust style because that is only for show, right? I don't really want to go for the welding option either- so am I stuck?

3/ Is it OK to put on on a diesel/automatic?

Thanks! I'd appreciate any help I can get.
bmw_3ser

Postby rocketron » Sun, 16 Mar 2008 19:38:49 UTC

tHE 320D Doesn't need a diesel particulate filter to reach Euro4 standards and consequently it gets the curved down exhaust pipes at the rear which is always going to hinder the sound of the exhaust note. A dpf was an option on a new car at around £350 and that came with pipes that went straight out at the back so that is one option but i dont think that its going to give you much/any more sound. You are never going to get much of a sporty note from a 4 cylinder diesel as "that" sound really comes from revs and the 320d only goes to around 4500rpm. If the sound is very important to you then i think that you should have bought a petrol car.I have observed from listening to numerous online debates about "diesel versus petrol" and the only benefit of petrol that i have heard that the diesel cant match is the sound of a 6 cylinder petrol engine at 6000+revs.
I am sure that some of the exhaust manufacturers though must produce something for the 320d and i am sure some of the more tuning oriented guys will answer soon.
MAZDA CX-5 2.2D 175 SPORT NAV AUTO AWD
E90 320D M-Sport Lemans blue/beige leather/wood/auto/lumbar support/folding mirrors/through load/bluetooth/pro satnav,i-drive/voice control. NOW SOLD
320d se touring now sold.
rocketron
BMW Warlord

Postby tinka » Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:39:31 UTC

well tbh,i think you will be hard pushed to find one that will either add more power or alter the sound very much.

when ive been at brands for the btcc and wtcc,the diesel's that were running were realy quiet,i was sitting close to the track and could hardly hear them.

imho,you will only get improvements in power with full systems or cat bypass systems,i may be wrong but thats what im lead to believe,spend the money on a tuning box or a remap instead.
le mans blue 320d m sport auto,
pro sat nav,xenons,19" csl reps,heated seats,auto dimming int/ext mirrors,auto lights,rear arm rest.
tinka
Advanced

Postby bmw_3ser » Sun, 16 Mar 2008 21:01:29 UTC

Thanks all.

Anything for a bit of sound and no power gain?

I pretty much understand now.

Thanks.
bmw_3ser

Postby prop fan » Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:21:21 UTC

Can you get a straight twin backbox for the E91 320d m-sport?

Not expecting increases, only in appearance!

The oval downswept doesn't look 'cool' im afraid......
prop fan
Overdrive

Postby irfanali_1 » Wed, 02 Apr 2008 20:02:01 UTC

prop fan wrote:Can you get a straight twin backbox for the E91 320d m-sport?

Not expecting increases, only in appearance!

The oval downswept doesn't look 'cool' im afraid......

Below is a thread from a member who had a backbox changed on his e46 320d, you will notice a increase bottom to mid obviously not as big as a Remap, but its a vital part of performance upgrades. This was for a e46 im pretty sure its the same engine, if not you can still expect similar results.

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=62349
irfanali_1
Intermediate

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW Car Modifications

BMWLand: Who is online