BMW: A Few Little Mods : BMW Car Modifications • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

A Few Little Mods

BMW Car Modifications - BMW car chipping, BMW ECU remap, BMW power, BMW performance, BMW tuning sponsored by E-Maps

Moderator: Moderators

A Few Little Mods

Postby old grey steve » Tue, 18 May 2010 16:02:13 UTC

Well summers a coming so I thought the car needed a treat or 2. So purchased from Stantman was one of his fine DeCAT pipes that was due to go on today( a long story) but that'll go on next week. Also after hoping the forum group buy would work a Blueflame Exhaust system( very well made by the way) but we/I had an issue re whether I had the full system or not( which I do beleive I have) That'll now go on sometime next week now :cry:

Also on the cards Clubsport Splitter purchased some PU Foam items which I'll have painted Steel Grey like the car. A bit of me would like to see them vlended into the bumper but as SYE stated in a pervious post there are some pitfalls to this. But one advantage I have is that my car runs OEM ride height on some special order EiBach springs.. but I'll take a view on this.

Also managed to get a AC Schnitzer rear roof spoiler( if only I'd knwo SYE that you had one kicking about) that'll go on the same time as the Clubsport Splitters. I'm also about to get a set of Gen LED tail lights too which A1BMW will supply and re code for me thanks Ad.

Finally and perhaps most controversial here's the one I'm scratching my head about as to whether I do it or not. THe roof I quite facy having it vinyl wrapped some say Carbon Fibre look

but something in me says do it in a flat Black or a sinister stealthy Grey of some description like these bad boys

but on this I just can't make my mind up though what I will say is the Carbon Fibre look doesn't 100% get me like the flat Black/Grey look. What do you think
old grey steve
BMW Warlord

BMW Members Cars: E 92 335i SE Auto Sat Nav 19's VRSF Down Pipes Re Mapped To Suit By E MAps and all the other stuff.
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby kenrob » Tue, 18 May 2010 18:21:16 UTC

I got to say that I am quite taken with the flat paint job.
E90 320d Msport, EGR bypass, Decat, Remap, non runflats
kenrob
BMW Warlord

Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby tenchiten » Tue, 18 May 2010 18:56:49 UTC

Wow :shock: that flat black looks awesome !
325Ci Sport Auto.. With a few adjustments.
tenchiten
Site Supporter

BMW Members Cars: E46 325Ci sport coupe
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby old grey steve » Tue, 18 May 2010 19:07:10 UTC

THe risk or shall I say the possible long term out look for these flat black wraps is that over time they can (so I'm told) look just a little shabby. They lose that real eye catching look stealthy look. I guess for me its a case of asking around and seeing a few that perhaps have lived on some cars for a time. I do beleive though that a nice stealthy colur might mot look to bad... Still not totally convinced by the carbo fibre type look though
old grey steve
BMW Warlord

BMW Members Cars: E 92 335i SE Auto Sat Nav 19's VRSF Down Pipes Re Mapped To Suit By E MAps and all the other stuff.
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby lew_lou » Tue, 18 May 2010 19:21:40 UTC

http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/

im going to be getting some of this soon, i saw some on the roof of an R34 skyline last year ans its VERY close to the real thing
'94 E36 320i 'loon
Low is never low enough!
lew_lou
BMW Warlord

Postby old grey steve » Tue, 18 May 2010 20:14:25 UTC

lew_lou wrote:http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/

im going to be getting some of this soon, i saw some on the roof of an R34 skyline last year ans its VERY close to the real thing
Yes I saw some stuff that been imported from th states and its wider than a lot of the stuff thats over here (meaning that its not stretched and looked straight rather than a bit bendy-if you followme as I've seen one or two that don't look that convincing as they've been stretched) but you pay for the quality of this stuff a roof to me is near enought £300 (trade) and they have to wait for the stuff to arrive from the staes over her its not off the peg.

The thing is as you say it does look like the real thing (the stuff I saw at least) and its got a real texture to it too plus I've been told and this is the other dilema its hard wearing too and will in time prove iteself to be more durable in our climate (quite important for me as my cars lives outside24/7) but I don't know its not in my mind quite the scene for a Saloon is it but you do get away with it on a Coupe :wink:
old grey steve
BMW Warlord

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby lew_lou » Tue, 18 May 2010 20:44:55 UTC

sod what car its going on, saloon, coupe, tourer or 'vert :lol: :wink:

its all down to your personal taste and preference 8-) that stuff has a superb texture and it wears VERY well indeed. from what i can remember the Skyline had it on for 6 months before i saw it and as far as i know he's still got it.
'94 E36 320i 'loon
Low is never low enough!
lew_lou
BMW Warlord

Postby kalv » Wed, 19 May 2010 12:42:12 UTC

The Matt does look lovely.. is there not anything else you could spend your dollars on... what about a detail??
Now - M135i Standard (for now)...
Before - 330d M-Sport Tourer, Pipercross filter, Torque Flow Exhaust, Stantman De-cat, Emaps remap, EGR Bypass, Koni FSD's, Eibach Springs, Rogue Engineering Top Mounts...
kalv
BMW Warlord

BMW Members Cars: M135i - 3dr, Manual, Estoril Blue
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby fewst » Wed, 19 May 2010 13:39:08 UTC

do it!!! Matt black wrap's are look great, saw an r8 and db9 with them at the weekend, and im hooked.
Kev.

You dont need eyes to see, you need vision
fewst

Postby old grey steve » Wed, 19 May 2010 18:29:02 UTC

fewst wrote:do it!!! Matt black wrap's are look great, saw an r8 and db9 with them at the weekend, and im hooked.
I'm only going to do the roof not the whole car :lol: I might get away with the cost to the wife not the whole car :lol:
old grey steve
BMW Warlord

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby fmfm20j » Wed, 19 May 2010 18:46:44 UTC

The publisher of BMWCar had his M3 done. Personally, isn't my cup of tea... but there we go.
Ian

E61 530d M Sport LCI Touring
E87 120d M Sport LCI 5 door

'Never thought I'd ever want a BMW... now I want nothing else' <----> www.beckiws.webspace.virginmedia.com/E61 description.htm
fmfm20j
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Clubsport_Mark » Wed, 19 May 2010 19:30:27 UTC

I love the matt black, but only as a whole car wrap, I think doing just the roof matt might look a little strange. However I am all for a GOOD quality Carbon Fibre roof wrap :)

Good call on getting the splitters colour coded, whats this about the custom eibach springs.....what are you getting done?
Clubsport_Mark
Intermediate

Postby sye » Wed, 19 May 2010 19:36:36 UTC

old matt black steve , that could work :wink: .
sye
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

BMW Members Cars: E46 M3 Vert
E46 330D
E36 325i se
England (EN)

Postby old grey steve » Wed, 19 May 2010 21:01:22 UTC

sye wrote:old matt black steve , that could work :wink: .
I like you style but its one word too many SYE :lol:
old grey steve
BMW Warlord

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Brocky » Sat, 22 May 2010 05:23:55 UTC

Matt Black ehh...now you dont see that too often ...oh yeah , been there , done that ..haha :wink:

How about doing your wheel's RED ...and add some whitewall's too...strip your bonnet and hey presto 8-)

They look , they point in disbelief ..i just smile and grit my teeth
Brocky
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BMW Warlord
BMWLand Event Manager
Site Supporter

Postby old grey steve » Sat, 22 May 2010 16:42:34 UTC

Brocky wrote:

How about doing your wheel's RED ...and add some whitewall's too...strip your bonnet and hey presto 8-)
Nah someones done that already :lol:
old grey steve
BMW Warlord

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby jasesapphy » Sat, 22 May 2010 19:00:32 UTC

Carbon look roof would be cool, do it
jasesapphy
Intermediate

Postby Aundy330d » Sun, 23 May 2010 18:44:06 UTC

Hi,
Personally i think that matt black looks amazing, however i think that it would look odd if only the roof was matt and the rest of the car wsa shiny, just my opinion. Being a big fan of carbon fiber i wanted to get my roof done untill i saw another e46 with it done, the flat vinyl just dosent have the glossy depth of real carbon so...

Since my roof was already lighly damaged i decided to give it a proper skinning using real carbon fiber cloth and epoxy resin, i did all of the work myself, there was a lot of sanding but it looks amazing and was surprisingly easy, once finished i just clearcoated the roof withe two coats of lacquer. The only downside of skinning is that it is a permanent solution but i cant see myself ever wanting to go back, as i said before, im a big carbon fan. O and overall it cost me about 120 quid cause i did it myself.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose to do
Aundy330d
User

Postby old grey steve » Mon, 24 May 2010 17:46:13 UTC

Seen the Carbon Fibre samples today very nice. As for the price its an eye watering £320 fitted....... but to me in the trade its :wink: so I'm considering it thats all considering it. Blueflames been fitted and the rear roof spoiler and Clubsport splitters will be on within the next 48 hrs :P
old grey steve
BMW Warlord

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby old grey steve » Mon, 24 May 2010 17:50:14 UTC

Aundy330d wrote:Hi,
Personally i think that matt black looks amazing, however i think that it would look odd if only the roof was matt and the rest of the car wsa shiny, just my opinion. Being a big fan of carbon fiber i wanted to get my roof done untill i saw another e46 with it done, the flat vinyl just dosent have the glossy depth of real carbon so...

Since my roof was already lighly damaged i decided to give it a proper skinning using real carbon fiber cloth and epoxy resin, i did all of the work myself, there was a lot of sanding but it looks amazing and was surprisingly easy, once finished i just clearcoated the roof withe two coats of lacquer. The only downside of skinning is that it is a permanent solution but i cant see myself ever wanting to go back, as i said before, im a big carbon fan. O and overall it cost me about 120 quid cause i did it myself.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose to do
You've gotta post a pic come onImageImage
old grey steve
BMW Warlord

United Kingdom (uk)

Next

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW Car Modifications

BMWLand: Who is online