BMW: 120d (E87) key fob buttons not working. : BMW 1 series Forum • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

120d (E87) key fob buttons not working.

BMW Forum 1 series car: E87, E81, E87, E88, F20

Moderator: Moderators

120d (E87) key fob buttons not working.

Postby Jussy » Tue, 07 Aug 2012 15:48:44 UTC

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I have placed this post in the wrong section.

I have searched through the existing topics but have been unable to find one that describes the same issues that I am having.

I currently have a 120d. It's a 2005 reg. About 4 weeks ago, the buttons on my original key fob (this is not a convenience entry key fob) seemed to stop working but the fob itself still worked in the ignition. When I say the buttons stopped working, I mean that the car would not lock/unlock when I pressed the respective buttons. I read a large amount of information on the Internet saying that the key has a rechargeable battery inside which is charged when the car engine is on. It seemed a bit strange that the battery would go flat considering I use the car to drive 40 miles a day to work and back. However, I had a spare key which seemed to work fine so I used the spare until I had decided what to do - I'm saving for a wedding at the moment so taking my car to the dealers wasn't high on my agenda!

Within the last few days, the buttons on the spare key have also stopped working.....well, almost! The unlock button seems to work fine, but the lock button does not work at all. I have no idea how the buttons on both key fobs can fail within the space of a few weeks of each other....is this just my bad luck?!? Do any of you extremely knowledgable people have any advice for me?....it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jussy
User

BMW Members Cars: BMW 120d SE
England (EN)

Re: 120d (E87) key fob buttons not working.

Postby david-c » Tue, 07 Aug 2012 16:03:42 UTC

Rechargable batterys do wear out but yes the fact both have stopped working in a short period of time is a worry. Don't know how easy it is to replace the battery in your 2005 keyfob but I would try that first since it's the cheapest option, If it works then do the other one & rotate them every 6 months.
You could try standing close & pointing the fob at the rear screen because thats where the aerial is if your having difficulties.
2011 320d Ed
david-c
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

BMW Members Cars: 320D Ed 2011
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Jussy » Tue, 07 Aug 2012 16:07:06 UTC

david-c wrote:Rechargable batterys do wear out but yes the fact both have stopped working in a short period of time is a worry. Don't know how easy it is to replace the battery in your 2005 keyfob but I would try that first since it's the cheapest option, If it works then do the other one & rotate them every 6 months.
You could try standing close & pointing the fob at the rear screen because thats where the aerial is if your having difficulties.

Hi David,

I was considering changing the battery but the fob is completely sealed and I didn't want to break it. Have you ever come across this before?...where the buttons just suddenly go dead.
Jussy
User

England (EN)

Postby david-c » Tue, 07 Aug 2012 16:14:14 UTC

I know others on here have replaced there batterys on the older keyfobs so it can be done, I expect someone will be along & give you more info, you could also google it, I'm sure I've seen U-tube video's on the net as well.
2011 320d Ed
david-c
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

BMW Members Cars: 320D Ed 2011
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Jussy » Tue, 07 Aug 2012 16:17:32 UTC

david-c wrote:I know others on here have replaced there batterys on the older keyfobs so it can be done, I expect someone will be along & give you more info, you could also google it, I'm sure I've seen U-tube video's on the net as well.

I'll do some more searching on the Internet. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated. :)
Jussy
User

England (EN)

Postby sonicdima » Sat, 11 Aug 2012 08:52:27 UTC

Thank God I've found this topic! :)
I've got exactly same problem with my 120d (2005)! Bought this car a month ago, noticed that sometimes the lock button on remote does not work, but didn't pay too much attention to it.
One day it would work fine, but then another day you can spend 10 minutes trying to close the car with fob. I've tried everything - opening and closing all the doors, inserting the fob in and out, and sometimes it helped. For the last two days I wasn't able to lock it with remote so just had enough now and want to sort it out.

I cheched youtube, there are plenty of videos how to replace the battery, but their fob looks a bit different (mine hasn't got a cover that you can remove).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ1EZeDs ... re=related

I guess the only option is to get a new fob from BMW, which will cost a lot..
sonicdima
User

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby sonicdima » Sat, 11 Aug 2012 09:01:04 UTC

Just phoned BMW, they said that fob has a battery only if car has a "comfort access" (mine doesn't have that as far as I know), and if there's no battery, you have to replace the fob which cost £160...
sonicdima
User

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Jussy » Sat, 11 Aug 2012 09:22:50 UTC

It's a really weird problem isn't it! Mine is like yours sonicdima, no comfort access and a fob thats practically welded shut! I phoned BMW as well and they said that they would have to plug the car in to the diagnostic thingy...which is £100 just to start...and then probably a new key! I can't understand how both of my keys have failed within 4 weeks of each other!! How did you get your key to work? Was it literally just a case of trying it loads of times?
Jussy
User

England (EN)

Postby sonicdima » Sat, 11 Aug 2012 09:37:58 UTC

yep, if you keep trying, eventually it will lock :) but it's a joke to close the car like that every time. Also, try and point the fob in different directions (someone suggested earlier that you should point it on rear window - I'll try it today). Sometimes it worked when I point it to the top of windscreen, but won't work if you point on doors.

Weird one indeed. The fact that BMW want's £100 for diagnostic is just goes to show that they rip you off. What I can't understand is why the fob works perfect for other two buttons - to unlock the car and boot? Only lock button isn't working properly..

Also, as you have the same car :) may I ask a question? I've got a problem with display lights, it has 3 displays - the bottom one shows you mileage, the middle one shows warning messages etc and the top one (the biggest one) shows if there are any faults. My middle one is not showing anything. BMW said they need to "look into it", and we're talking £160 - £200 just to start. I was thinking it could be just a bulb. Have you had any issues of this kind?
sonicdima
User

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Jussy » Sat, 11 Aug 2012 12:19:30 UTC

No problem at all with the question. I'm no professional when it comes to this but could it be a problem with the wiring behind the dash? I'm assuming that there will be a cluster of lights for the displays - perhaps a faulty wire somewhere but I'm really clutching at straws. I do know that these cars go weird if there are battery or alternator problems. Are there any other strange things happening with the electrics (apart from the key fob)?
Jussy
User

England (EN)

Postby sonicdima » Sat, 11 Aug 2012 14:10:35 UTC

Not really, no other problems apart from "reverse alert system" which isn't working (it's flashing green).
I guess I need to check wiring behind the dash, thanks!

By any chance would you happen to know about the bonnet wire? Mine needs replacing. Already got a new one. How easy is it to get to it, i.e. do I have to take the whole car apart? :D
sonicdima
User

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby 320dj » Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:30:58 UTC

Hi Not sure if you've solved your lock / unlock problem but can you open it ok with the standard key ie does the central locking all work then? If it does it may be down to the lock in the door needing some tlc. A drop of oil or WD40 into the key slot used to ease the problem on my E46. Needed to work the key a few times but things seemed to free up and the relay could then operate the lock easier. Just switched to a 120D on a 55 plate which is why I was looking. Mine just had to have new interior mirror because the remote sensor / pick up is located there and it packed up. I think the people next door were please when the replacement from e-bay arrived as I couldn't get in without the alarm sounding. Good luck and start with the easy stuff before delving to deep :D .
320dj

Postby sonicdima » Thu, 16 Aug 2012 09:48:13 UTC

Hi, I ordered new key at BMW today (£160). They give 3 years warranty, so if key doesn't lock the car remotely, it will be their problem and they'll either have to refund £160 or sort the problem.

Central locking works absolutely fine with the key inserted in the lock. Also, two other buttons on the key (to unlock the car and boot) work fine, it's just the lock button which is not working most of times.

I'll let you know about new key when it arrives on Saturday :)
sonicdima
User

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby sonicdima » Sat, 18 Aug 2012 10:17:23 UTC

Got my new key, all works perfect!
£168 though :(
sonicdima
User

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby Joe1series » Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:49:47 UTC

Hi everyone,

Newbi here so howdy y'all! Tonight for some reason the passenger door lock knob wouldnt move. I tried unlocking and locking a few times and then drivers door stopped working. Can put down the windows with the remote and open the door from inside or manually but not ideal. Have i flattened the battery in both fobs by locking unlocking repeatedly? Am i going to get a new key or can i recharge it, both dont seem to have batteries in them so non c.a.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks

PS Apologies if i should start a new thread atthe end of an old but seems relevent. Cheers
Joe1series

BMW Members Cars: 118D 2007 Estate
United Kingdom (uk)

Re: e61) key fob buttons not working.

Postby Gus75 » Wed, 29 Aug 2012 21:03:22 UTC

My key stopped working altogether on the buttons, can still manually open doors and put key in ignition to stop alarm beeping and start engine. Spoke with BMW parts at cooper stockton. They said battery probably flat and need a new key. Ordered and paid 168 for it. It has not improved situation though, still same fault with new key. Not sure what to do now. Either new key is faulty as well or fault is on the car? Any ideas?
Gus75
User

BMW Members Cars: E61 520
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby lenci » Mon, 29 Jul 2013 22:06:44 UTC

hi guys !

I wonder if anyone would be able to help would very much appreciate it. I also have some trouble with my key I already spent over £160 on a new key and the owner before me has already replaced the cradle where the key goes in to but the fault is still present at times . the key works fine apart from when I try to put the key on the ignition and a yellow key appears on the dash with a line across preventing me from starting the car . My way of getting around the problem for the time being is to unplug the battery for a few seconds and plug it back in . It feels like it only does it when is damp or rains as when is hot whether it does not do it . If anyone has experienced similar problems or is able to help please do !!
lenci

BMW Members Cars: 2005 bmw 120d sport
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby YummyMummy » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 15:48:57 UTC

Hi all.
Nice to hear I'm not alone... I have a similar problem with a few additional issues.
The turbo in my 2005 120 d sport "went" last July (2013) and since has been sat on the driveway (not the best thing to do I know). As I haven't had the money to fix it, it's been sat but I had regularly been opening the car and turning the electric on to try and avoid it dying on me. I haven't wanted to start it as I fear that would make the problem worse and possibly damage the engine, at some stage.
Since then, my key fob has failed to work and as it is not a comfort key fob, I cannot replace the battery. The car is locked, I can't get into it, which means I can't open the bonnet to test the battery (although the alarm seems to work fine!) and also means I can't move the car physically out of my car port where it's getting in the way.
I'm beginning to consider having to break into my own car to release the hand break in order to move the car further down the driveway, and then replace the glass window once I have the lock/unlock system fixed.
Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the key fob issue resolved as cheap and easy as possible?
Thank you :)
YummyMummy

BMW Members Cars: BMW 1 Series 2.0 Sport Diesel 5dr
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby YummyMummy » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 15:50:46 UTC

YummyMummy wrote:Hi all.
Nice to hear I'm not alone... I have a similar problem with a few additional issues.
The turbo in my 2005 120 d sport "went" last July (2013) and since has been sat on the driveway (not the best thing to do I know). As I haven't had the money to fix it, it's been sat but I had regularly been opening the car and turning the electric on to try and avoid it dying on me. I haven't wanted to start it as I fear that would make the problem worse and possibly damage the engine, at some stage.
Since then, my key fob has failed to work and as it is not a comfort key fob, I cannot replace the battery. The car is locked, I can't get into it, which means I can't open the bonnet to test the battery (although the alarm seems to work fine!) and also means I can't move the car physically out of my car port where it's getting in the way.
I'm beginning to consider having to break into my own car to release the hand break in order to move the car further down the driveway, and then replace the glass window once I have the lock/unlock system fixed.
Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the key fob issue resolved as cheap and easy as possible?
Thank you :)

Oh and also, the metal key inside of the fob doesn't work in the door either... A bit baffled as battery seemed to work when I tried my luck with opening the boot!!
YummyMummy

BMW Members Cars: BMW 1 Series 2.0 Sport Diesel 5dr
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby markyboyt » Tue, 21 Jan 2014 18:48:59 UTC

If the metal key blade doesn't work then it mustn't fit your lock as its a mechanical link.
Opening the car and putting the ignition on but not starting frequently will have done the exact opposite of what you were trying to do, I.e it will ensure you flatten your battery far quicker. If your battery is flat then that will be why your unable to unlock the car remotely, if you can open the door with the mechanical key then do that, open your bonnet and put your car on charge or connect to a jump battery or jump vehicle to power up the electrics and open the boot to access the battery to remove and charge/replace.
markyboyt
Advanced
Site Supporter

BMW Members Cars: 335D M Sport Coupe
United Kingdom (uk)

Next

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to BMW 1 series Forum

BMWLand: Who is online