BMW: e93 Convertible Leaking Roof : Technical Zone • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

e93 Convertible Leaking Roof

BMW Technical Zone. BMW car help and support: BMW Guides to BMW car Maintenance written by members for members

Moderator: Moderators

e93 Convertible Leaking Roof

Postby jakeandlizzy » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 23:09:42 UTC

Has anyone else had problems with their E93 roof and its ability to keep out water?

After a good down-pour, I find a puddle on the front passenger seat; the inside frame around the top corner of the passenger window, next to the windscreen, is also very damp and is presumably where the water is getting in.

The car has been back to the dealer who tells me that they can't find anything wrong with it. They claim to have power washed it (admitedly it came back very clean!), but this doesn't appear to reveal the problem.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

It needs to go back to the dealer again this week (3rd time since July!) to get a seat part replaced so, ironically for a e93 owner, I'm praying for rain so I can show the dealer that the leak is still there!
jakeandlizzy
User

Postby megablade » Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:26:36 UTC

I haven't got one, but looking at your picture is your drive on a slope?

It could be that it only leaks with the car at a certain angle? Worth investigating before going back to the dealer?
megablade
Intermediate

Postby jakeandlizzy » Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:48:55 UTC

Yes, you're right, drive is on a slight slope.

The car is back at the dealer today as it broke down on the motorway last night - loss of power and engine warning light came on. Very annoying on a Friday night! Its still leaking and I've mentioned the slope to the dealer, for them to have another look at whilst they sort out the engine.

If it still leaks when the car returns, I'll try parking the other way round and see if that stops it.

Surely it shouldn't leak though??

Thanks for the advice.
jakeandlizzy
User

Postby 1916 » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 17:41:04 UTC

I have had my e93 in with dealer less than 3 mths after I bought it. Rear on both C Pillars there were spots of water appearing. They replaced the seal that runs completely around the top and sides of the roof. 4 mths later it started to leak in the same spot, but this time it wasn't just a few drops but the proverbial flood. It was a sponge I needed not a tissue. I asked the question was there other convertibles leaking since the start of the year, yes was the reply. from searching this forum it certainly doesn't seem common, but my car is only 9 mths old. Will I spend the enxt few years going back every 4mths to get the seal/sealant replaced? I would have both a coupe if I knew this would have been required

Can anyone ease my pain?
User

Postby Zaccy » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:58:36 UTC

I've had my E93 for 6 weeks and it has been bak twice for the same leak on the front passenger seat...

It shouldn't matter if it's parked on a slope as my 1969 mg midget used to hold out water better!

I notice today that the passenger rear qtr had a couple of drop on it but not worth complaining about.

The dealer had a look at it today and said that the pillar water channels had had something in them and that he blew this out with a air line.

Hopefully this would fix it but not very good for a six month old car...

Any more trouble with leaks and I will be writing to BMW for a replacement vehicle as I do not want the problems down the line...

That's really put me off if yours broke down the other day?
Zaccy
Advanced

Postby 1916 » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 21:41:05 UTC

I should have added to my original post, but felt it was outside the OP, my car broken down also, had a full 'windows' update and the fuel pump replaced. I have had my hood down only once since September and that was only to try and create a 're-seal' to stop the leak coming in this time.

I have only had leaks at the C Pillar's, have had a few drops on the drivers seat, but I put that down to opening the door, although I could be wrong and maybe giving germa engineering too much credit
User

Postby Zaccy » Wed, 28 Jan 2009 21:55:39 UTC

forgot to mention that the dealer has had another e93 with roof problems which they have ordered a new seal kit and the owner has had to wait two weeksso far...
Zaccy
Advanced

Postby agh » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 00:29:47 UTC

The following is with reference to another folding hard top roof car that relies on rubber seals to keep the water out.
The trick is regular and careful lubrication with an appropriate lubricant.
I ran into this when my Mum was considering a VW EOS, she bought a 120i convertible in the end.
It seems most VW dealers didn't know enough about this to advise customers correctly.
Might be worth investigating this for your E93's
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3087297

May be print it out and take to the dealer, or buy some of the VW lubricant and do it yourself, which it sounds like you'll need to every few months anyway.
Adrian
Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 Diesel S 272bhp Premium Luxury + XFR sports seats & Reversing camera.
November 2005 to August 2013: E91 320d SE (Touring).
agh
BMW Warlord

BMW Members Cars: Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 Diesel S Premium Luxury
Ford S-Max 2.0 163bhp Diesel Titanium
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby 1916 » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:16:15 UTC

Thanks for supplying the link, but it returns "Bad Gateway". Could you copy paste article here in quotes?
User

Postby agh » Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:35:00 UTC

I had that link tucked away in my email archive and checked it before I posted it last night.
It looks to me like that forum service has gone down, hopefully temporarily, although you can still access www.vwvortex.com .
Try again later, it gives step by step instructions with photos and arrows pointing out what the problem is and how to apply the lubricant.

Essentially what it is saying is that every few months the rubber roof seals will dry and harden then stick and catch on the surfaces they are supposed to slip into to create a water proof seal. You spread this lubricating gel thinly over all the seal surfaces every few months to keep the seal supple and lubricated so that it can slip into place and create the seal correctly. When you've done the treatment use a non-high pressure water hose to test the seal and apply more lubracant if neccessary.
Under no circumstances go anywhere near the seal with a high pressure water jet!

The photos clearly show the rubber seals on the EOS, dry and hard, failing to seal the gap, after the treatment it's water tight for months.

I think if I wanted a folding hard top convertible enough I would put up with doing this job a few times a year.
Adrian
Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 Diesel S 272bhp Premium Luxury + XFR sports seats & Reversing camera.
November 2005 to August 2013: E91 320d SE (Touring).
agh
BMW Warlord

BMW Members Cars: Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 Diesel S Premium Luxury
Ford S-Max 2.0 163bhp Diesel Titanium
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby 1916 » Sun, 08 Mar 2009 12:48:42 UTC

Well dealer did the 'oil treatment' on the seals, that was end of January, now 8th March, a little over 1 month later, see below. Anyone else the same problem? Car is only 10mths old
User

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to Technical Zone

BMWLand: Who is online