BMW: E46 318i cam sensor? help : Technical Zone • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

E46 318i cam sensor? help

BMW Technical Zone. BMW car help and support: BMW Guides to BMW car Maintenance written by members for members

Moderator: Moderators

E46 318i cam sensor? help

Postby Cpl-Pike » Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:11:28 UTC

Hi,

Under the 3 series discussion forum, I have been told that the symptoms our E46 318i car has displayed could be a Cam sensor failure. The car periodicaly jerks then flashes up the ABS & hand brake light, then cuts out. The car restarts fine, and may be fine for a few days. Also the battery light has flashed or flickered during or after this process.

If it is the Cam sensor?, is this easy to replace, or will it be an expensive repair bill, at an good independant garage?

Thanks.

Cpl-Pike
Cpl-Pike
User

Postby m330d » Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:33:52 UTC

It could be the cam sensor and the only way to be sure is get codes read.The part isnt that expensive and should be easy/cheap to fit.
m330d
BMW Warlord

Northern Ireland (NI)

Re: E46 318i cam sensor? help

Postby Emerald » Sat, 01 Dec 2007 17:01:49 UTC

Cpl-Pike wrote:Hi,

Under the 3 series discussion forum, I have been told that the symptoms our E46 318i car has displayed could be a Cam sensor failure. The car periodicaly jerks then flashes up the ABS & hand brake light, then cuts out. The car restarts fine, and may be fine for a few days. Also the battery light has flashed or flickered during or after this process.

If it is the Cam sensor?, is this easy to replace, or will it be an expensive repair bill, at an good independant garage?

Thanks.

Cpl-Pike

I have an '02 E46 N42 318Ci and have been recently getting similar intermittent problems until the engine is warmed up. The handbrake light and automatic stabilty light go yellow and the battery light comes on and the engine cuts out. I either bump start it or restart with the key to carry on. I drive in fear of being shunted until the engine is warm.
Have you solved it yet?
Emerald

Postby Emerald » Sun, 03 Feb 2008 11:03:17 UTC

Still with same problem until engine warmed up.
Error codes:-
P0355 crankshaft position sensor a circuit malfunction
P0366 camshaft position sensor b circuit range / performance
P0011 a camshaft position-timing over-advanced or system performance
Could these both have gone wrong at the same time and why only when the engine is cold? Could it be something simple like damp and new HT leads needed? Already replaced battery!
Emerald

Postby Emerald » Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:20:35 UTC

I cleared the error codes
I replaced the two camshaft sensors myself but the problem remained. There were however no current diagnostic trouble codes only pending ones P0011 and P0015 which refer to the two camshaft sensors!
I took the car to the garage and told asked them to have a look telling them the evidence of crankshaft sensor failure. They had trouble finding an error but eventually spotted a crankshaft error code. They replaced it and the car now seems fine. The garage bill was £318.80 and they had the car from a Wednesday to a Monday!
Emerald

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to Technical Zone

BMWLand: Who is online