BMW: How to change e46 front wings guide. : Technical Zone • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

How to change e46 front wings guide.

BMW Technical Zone. BMW car help and support: BMW Guides to BMW car Maintenance written by members for members

Moderator: Moderators

How to change e46 front wings guide.

Postby m330d » Tue, 02 Nov 2010 18:28:01 UTC

If you have an ageing e46 like mine chances are at least one of the wings is rusty.My passenger one was letting the car down , A painter thought he could save it but I thought the rust would be back quickly again.When I removed it there was a lot of rust behind the lip so painting it would have been a waste of time .
Ebay provided a secondhand wing for reasonable cost in the right colour with a few minor scratches and a couple of stone chips so I wet sanded the scratch with 1500 wet and dry used wet with soap.Then today I waxoyled the inner lip back edge before fitting after hammeriteing it to keep any rust away.
Good news is its bolt on so after jacking up and fitting an axle stand , removing the wheel and putting it underneath just incase we can start.
Remove 3 plastic rivots by pushing them though with a fine screwdriver all the way intil they fall out then the rivot pulls out.You can reuse then as they will be sitting on the sill but new ones are cheap.
Then remove about 8 m8 self tapper screws that hold the liner on:
Once you pull the liner down at the front after removing the indicator (mine is clip fit and releases with a screwdriver though a hole in the wing) you can see an m10 self tapper that holds the front of the wing.The headlight lower trim needs pulling out and unclipping from the wing end , its a bit fidlly but you will get there start away from indicator side and pull the clips out, you can see it below the headlight,( see below)
If you then work the liner out( I didnt remove it but its tight for access) you can get to the 2 rear self tappers that hole the back of the wing in the arch.I used a swivel rachet spanner for the front one and a 12 inch extension bar for the rear one, a torch is handy.You can see the rivot centres below on the sill where they fell.
Now open the door and there is another m10 on the pillar (shown removed):
After that the row of t30 torx screws should see the wing ready to remove , one is hidden up at the windscreen as shown.Use a proper bit as an allen key type tool will round them

Unclip the side repeater wire and lift off.
Dont forget to refit the wire before bolting up like I did :oops: and reverse the above steps to refit starting the the hidden bolt that is inside the wing back.The wing is easy to align , I just pushed it back as far as possible then used the marks where the heads had been to realign it and it fitted good.
A quick clean and polish and thats it sorted.It took me about 1 and 1/2 hours maybe less. :D
Needless to say as soon as I started the job started raining but just after I finished it really opned up the heavens so not so bad I suppose. :lol:

This is only a guide attempt at your own risk. :D
m330d
BMW Warlord

Northern Ireland (NI)

Re: How to change e46 front wings guide.

Postby mobilejo » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 09:00:29 UTC

thanks for this. good writeup!
mobilejo
BMW Warlord

Postby rigeng » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 09:25:57 UTC

That looks a neat and tidy job. Well done.
rigeng
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Postby m330d » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 21:19:46 UTC

Cheers :D Its a good shade match too so well pleased for 75 quid :mrgreen:
m330d
BMW Warlord

Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby -jester- » Mon, 22 Aug 2011 10:01:45 UTC

Brilliant guide thanks m330d :D

I googled for some help to replace my rusting wing and google brought me here so I've now registered up, hopefully I will be able to contribute as time goes on :wink:
-jester-

BMW Members Cars: 2000 E46 Touring & 4.0L Range Rover
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby slim_boy_fat » Mon, 22 Aug 2011 10:56:19 UTC

[quote="-jester..I googled for some help to replace my rusting wing and google brought me here so I've now registered up, hopefully I will be able to contribute as time goes on :wink: [/quote]

Welcome fella. :cool:
Never underestimate the power of thrawn.
slim_boy_fat
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Scotland (SC)

Postby RSW » Sat, 27 Aug 2011 22:10:00 UTC

Thank you for writting this - this will make my job easier.
RSW
Intermediate

Postby IanUK » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:52:26 UTC

Excellent thanks for the write-up, it helped a lot
IanUK
User

Postby Bradmax57 » Sat, 25 Aug 2012 18:50:25 UTC

Had a go at this myself today, and unfortunately haven't managed to get very far, im guessing you didnt remove the wheel arch liner fully? as to do that you have to remove the sump guard protector yeah? I need to get myself a longer extension for my socket set to get the bottom bolt, the fact my 3 year old son was running around didnt help matters, will have another go tomorrow.
2006 330D M Sport Auto
Bradmax57
User

Postby RSW » Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:41:59 UTC

I didn't remove my liner fully, I just bent it back.
RSW
Intermediate

Postby Bradmax57 » Sat, 25 Aug 2012 21:00:23 UTC

RSW wrote:I didn't remove my liner fully, I just bent it back.

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow maybe after I get a longer extension for my socket, can you remember what size spanner for the selftapper that goes into the sill, as that is another problematic one, also the one that go upwards near the indicator is turning but its not actually coming out. I know I feel frustrated atm but it will be worth it once done :)
2006 330D M Sport Auto
Bradmax57
User

Postby RSW » Sat, 25 Aug 2012 21:20:37 UTC

Hi - I think they are just 10mm, I just looked on realoem
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=41&fg=10
The part number is = 07119901515 so I google that too and yes 10mm.
I have a halfords 3/8 set that I used.
It helps to pop the indicator with a long screw driver in that square'ish hole at the front of the wing. I think you'll see the ofending item better then.
Thanks
RSW
Intermediate

Postby Bradmax57 » Sun, 26 Aug 2012 20:21:23 UTC

So glad I read on here that there was one more torx bolt at the bottom of the windscreen :) having said that it was the worst of the lot to remove, might have screwed it up a little despite using a T30 Torx. Anyway the good news is the wing is off :)

Thankfully its still all solid underneath, car will be coming up to 10 years soon (built nov 02) but is a march 03 car, there is a bit of rust on the front mounting plate which I will treat and spray with some stonechip paint (waxoll or whatever it is) anyway here is the inside of the original wing..........

Ive sprayed the inside of the wing with the same waxoll stone chip paint but was thinking is it worth putting some grease along the inner lip to prevent sitting water penetrating again? I probably wont have the car before it comes through again but still a blatent design fault if you ask me, the number of E46's ive seen the same is ridiculous.

Onto the bad news....

I decided not to pay for oem wings but patent ones, at first I thought the patent one felt flimsy but now ive removed the original one I cant tell any difference and a quick trial it seems to fit well. I decided on the patent because of the cars age, is it really worth spending £400-500 on new parts on a car that is that old? Anyway I got someone I know to prepaint the new wings and to my horror when I lined it up there a completely different colour :( I think its more mystic blue they have used (mine is orient blue) despite me giving the paint code, i was expecting a different shade but not colour.... anyway it was free as a favour so I cant moan on too much so I'm going to fit them regardless and then will get them resprayed on the car at the same time as the rears to be sorted
2006 330D M Sport Auto
Bradmax57
User

Postby m330d » Sat, 15 Sep 2012 00:51:25 UTC

Always tough to get a colour match , guess I was just lucky although the first time I got a wing painted on the drivers side the shade in fading light was miles out and it really annoyed me. :( My rust was much the same as that too.
m330d
BMW Warlord

Northern Ireland (NI)

Postby Bradmax57 » Sat, 15 Sep 2012 00:58:25 UTC

m330d wrote:Always tough to get a colour match , guess I was just lucky although the first time I got a wing painted on the drivers side the shade in fading light was miles out and it really annoyed me. :( My rust was much the same as that too.

The passenger side was rotton all the way through :(
2006 330D M Sport Auto
Bradmax57
User

Postby Aerotec » Mon, 08 Oct 2012 17:46:00 UTC

Great guide, thanks. Anyone used the ebay sellers that are selling a pre-painted wing for £100-1255 delivered?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SERIES- ... 316wt_1398
Aerotec

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby RSW » Mon, 08 Oct 2012 21:38:12 UTC

Hi - yeah I used either this or a similar seller on ebay to get silver wings for my car. Either my car is dull or my new wings are bright but they don't match too well.
RSW
Intermediate

Postby dirtybeemer » Sun, 10 Feb 2013 03:39:02 UTC

My wife has a 2005 mazda 2 1.4 td which has been laid up for a while due to the alternator going, getting a replacement was a nightmare anyway i finally got one and fitted it yesterday that job itself was a right pain just no room to get at stuff, anyway i have done it and it is now fine, which means i can get round to sorting my e46 out which has the dreaded rusty front arches, the passengr side been the worse i patched it up tempory as i knew the rust would be back and it has the drivers side has also started to rust, i was going to buy those wings of ebay that you can have painted to the colour of your car, but i wasnt sure how the colour match would be with new paint against 13 year old paint, so i decided to get some second hand ones and fortunately i have managed to get a decent pair in the same colour as my car titanium silver, whilst i have the wings waiting to be fitted i have painted the inside of them with a few coats of silver smoothrite and i have siliconed the inner lip of the wheel arch to prevent dirt etc collecting in there, so my plan is to fit them later today after i have had some sleep, and this guide has explained in great detail how to do this, so thanks for that, also whilst im at it i have a few other jobs to do on the car, like sort the drivers window out as the regulator has gone, and swop the steering wheel as the leather on mine is now none exsistant, and i have a few other cosmetics things to do it, but im in no rush after all i can use the wifes car now lol
dirtybeemer
User

Postby lincolnbmw » Wed, 13 Feb 2013 01:49:15 UTC

good DIY information. for wing replacement
lincolnbmw
User

BMW Members Cars: BMW 3 SERIES
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby iant » Sun, 03 Mar 2013 19:31:06 UTC

Just replaced both wings on my 2002 330D this weekend with the help of this thread. Big thanks to M330D!

I've been touching up the wings for years (owned it 8 years) and thought of getting rid of the car several times because it wasn't looking it's best. However there is nothing really wrong with the rest of the car, still pulls like a train, and the interior is unmarked.

So I found two very good used wings on ebay and decided to change them. This took me a fair amount of time this weekend - mainly as a couple of the bolts on top of the wing were seized and I broke a torx bit, but they are on now and I have a new enthusiasm for the car. Polished it today and I am absolutely delighted! Thanks again
Ian
iant
User

Next

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to Technical Zone

BMWLand: Who is online