BMW: Driveline Insurance Plan Question.. : General BMW Help/Advice • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

Driveline Insurance Plan Question..

BMW forum car help: general BMW questions and answers about BMW cars sponsored by Opie Oils - for discount on BMW oil servicing

Moderator: Moderators

Driveline Insurance Plan Question..

Postby paul1876 » Tue, 25 Feb 2014 12:10:48 UTC

Hi

I've already asked this question on the other BMW UK forum, but with no help so far thought I'd try here instead, and in any case it may be something that only BMW Insured Warranty can answer themselves...

In a nutshell I've taken out the Insured Warranty Driveline plan for 5 or 6 months now, as I have an N47 2009 E90. However it came to my attention reading a post on the other forum that certain T&Cs apply, namely that it should be serviced by a VAT registered garage using genuine BMW parts.

Now I had my car serviced at my local garage, using specified BMW LL04 oil, but perhaps not using genuine BMW oil filter/pollen filter and air filter.

Have I now completely voided any claim that I have to make if, say, my chain pops itself off tomorrow? I'm not even sure if a BMW independent would use genuine or pattern parts for such routine services either.

I think I need to write a letter so I can get a written response, as I would cancel immediately if there is any chance of this service using pattern parts invalidating my plan.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
E90 318d Factory Spec + Bluetooth Prep, Sports 'Wheel & Tints
paul1876
Intermediate

BMW Members Cars: 318d SE
United Kingdom (uk)

Re: Driveline Insurance Plan Question..

Postby bishbosh » Tue, 25 Feb 2014 12:17:13 UTC

You could ask the garage which carried out the service if they used genuine parts.
E91 320d Sparkling Graphite

Mods:
162 alloys
Bluefin remap
Detachable towbar
Gladen 201 + Mosconi 120.4

Retrofits:
Bi-xenon lights
Power folding mirrors
Full black Dakota leather interior
Semi electric sport seats, heated + side bolster
bishbosh
Advanced
Site Supporter

BMW Members Cars: E91 320d 177
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby snrbrtsn » Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:00:59 UTC

Or you can " re service"
But insist that the said parts are changed to OEM, thus keeping your warranty intact
Depending on mileage, you don't have to change the oil.......
Gee! What I used manage to do all night, now takes me all night !!
Found what I couldn't find!

Sean.
snrbrtsn
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

BMW Members Cars: E60 530D - GONE
RRS TDV8 - GONE
E60 520d - GONE
F07 530d - ARRIVED
Scotland (SC)

Postby mach one » Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:52:32 UTC

i would check first with the garage that carried out the service and see what parts they used

and if they did use non OEM parts then ask them to re service using genuine BMW parts as mentioned above
mach one
Overdrive
Site Supporter

Wales (CM)

Postby paul1876 » Tue, 25 Feb 2014 20:50:31 UTC

Hi
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm going to fire a letter off to them tomorrow, to clarify the situation. I don't want to have to re-service or replace the parts myself if they don't need to be.

Basically I'd like to know whether in the case of a high ticket claim (timing chain or turbo failure) they can really point to the oil filter and air filter being non OEM as something that contributed to the failure.

The alternative is just to cancel the policy entirely. I'm probably running the car for another year to 18 months, so maybe I leave it to chance that at 75k on a 59 plate N47 I'm one of the lucky ones!
paul1876
Intermediate

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby paulrog » Tue, 25 Feb 2014 21:06:07 UTC

Personally I wouldn't send a letter, I would look into getting a genuine oil filter, (ebay £20) and microfilter, 5 litres of oil for £40 and go round to your garage ask them to re-service the car and stamp the book.

As the N47 has the manufacturing issue doing the above will save you thousands of pounds in case the chain snaps.
paulrog
Overdrive
Site Supporter

BMW Members Cars: 2007 E70 X5 M SPORT, 4.8L V8 Petrol, Silver, Xenon. Previous - 2008 520D LCI M Sport
United Kingdom (uk)

Postby paul1876 » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 20:32:52 UTC

A quick thread resurrection...

I've held off doing anything so far, mainly due to it always slipping my mind!

Anyhow tomorrow the car is booked in at the same garage for summer wheels and new angel eyes, so I decided to double check the handbook in detail, and this is where clarification from Mondial themselves will be needed.

From the handbook I quote, in the 'What must I do to keep my warranty valid?' section...

You must keep YOUR VEHICLE in an efficient and roadworthy condition and regularly service it in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations and genuine parts, or parts of equivalent specification must be used...

So genuine parts are not needed it seems, which helps me greatly!

This should be a help to anyone wondering whether genuine or pattern parts are sufficient, although I'll post back when I get written confirmation. However at the moment it seems I can point my finger at their own handbook in the event of any claim being required.

Thanks!
paul1876
Intermediate

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby mach one » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 21:39:01 UTC

the other thing to bear in mind is the claims limit on the DriveLine Insured Warranty

I have just renewed my warranty and looked at the DriveLine Insured Warranty as an option but i was put off by the Claim limit of £5,000 (inclusive of VAT)

I have an N47 engine in my car and was worried that if the car did break a chain and damage the engine that £4150 plus vat would not cover the repair
mach one
Overdrive
Site Supporter

Wales (CM)

Postby paul1876 » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 21:59:07 UTC

Yes I knew that already. I wanted a coat effective solution to cover such claims, and £5000 of any large claim is a very substantial sum, and it would probably 'just' cover a chain failure. However regardless of how many failures the forums lead you to believe has happened, failures of dmf and turbos are far more common, and driveline covers these top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paul1876
Intermediate

United Kingdom (uk)

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to General BMW Help/Advice

BMWLand: Who is online