BMW: Expansion Tank Leak : General BMW Help/Advice • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

Expansion Tank Leak

BMW forum car help: general BMW questions and answers about BMW cars sponsored by Opie Oils - for discount on BMW oil servicing

Moderator: Moderators

Expansion Tank Leak

Postby SteUK » Mon, 11 Jul 2011 13:49:53 UTC

Hi Chaps/Chapettes,

Just discovered all the lovely coolant has vanished in the past 2 days from my 318i Touring (year 2000 with 87k on the clock). Reaching underneath seems all the juice is coming from the blue connection...shown in this image:

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/i//X5TNK2.JPG

It's about time for a water pump, thermostat change anyway...so figured do these with a tank change. So, a couple of questions.

1) What is this blue connection...sensor?
2) Is it possible that whatever it is will need to replacing to fix the cause of this leak?
3) I feel confident of carrying out this work myself, and really am keen to get stuck in and advance my mechanics skills, how many hours would this take a pro? How much time would you set aside for the job for someone mechanically minded?

Cheers!
Ste
SteUK
User

BMW Members Cars: 2000 318i Touring
United Kingdom (uk)

Re: Expansion Tank Leak

Postby da2ca » Mon, 11 Jul 2011 18:14:46 UTC

Are you sure that is your expansion tank?
Only asking as I had a 325 on an x (E46) and have an E46 cad 330 and both were the same and nothing like that.
Dave.

da2ca
Overdrive

Postby SteUK » Tue, 12 Jul 2011 07:57:18 UTC

I am almost sure it is not, but it was the only pic I could find during a 2 min break from work ;-)

Part 11 in your posted diagram.

Though...I put half a litre of distiller water in last night to see if I could find where it was leaking from, just enough to make the plastic level indicator bob up. Got under the car and nothing maybe only happens when the car runs hot for a while? Or maybe the leak is somewhere else? When I took the skid tray off fluid had collected at the back so it is definitely coming from somewhere up front!! ;-p

Another possible aside, when switching the engine off I have noticed an air pressure release a second after. Am sure I have not heard that before!

Any suggestions? Take out the tank to inspect? Replace the lot and see what happens? Top up with a little more water and take for a 10 min run round the block then inspect?

Cheers!
Ste
SteUK
User

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby SteUK » Tue, 12 Jul 2011 18:31:51 UTC

Found it!!!

For those venturing into this sort if thing for the first time...it is a simple matter of getting the engine up to temperature, thus getting the cooling system pressurised. The leak will soon rear it's ugly head! Mine is on the passenger side of the tank...squirting out in a stream after 15mins of engine idle.

Guess what I am doing this weekend?! Last few questions for the wise to help with...

1) Are BMW water pumps worth double the money?
2) Can anyone recommend a half decent cheap(ish) torque wrench?

Cheers
Ste
SteUK
User

United Kingdom (uk)

Postby slim_boy_fat » Tue, 12 Jul 2011 18:54:36 UTC

SteUK wrote:1) Are BMW water pumps worth double the money?

I got mine from www.c3bmw.co.uk - genuine parts at good prices. I'd also do the thermostat while you're in there. :wink:
Never underestimate the power of thrawn.
slim_boy_fat
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Scotland (SC)

Postby steve521 » Wed, 13 Jul 2011 13:47:45 UTC

hey there you can find some genuine parts here http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/repla ... ement.html and get it fixed by a good machanic
steve521

BMW Members Cars: 1 series
American Samoa (as)

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to General BMW Help/Advice

BMWLand: Who is online