BMW: BMW stolen without keys!!! Please help. : General BMW Help/Advice • BMWLand

BMW Forum: Car help, questions, answers, BMW discussion forum  
BMW Forum for UK BMW Car owners : Where Power Meets Control

BMW Forum: BMWLand Forum Portal Entrance BMW Forum: BMWLand - Forums for UK BMW Owners BMW Discounts & Support for BMWLand members BMW Forum Twitter, RSS, Facebook for BMWLand members BMW Car Insurance Discount BMWLand: Contact Us BMW Paint Repair discounts for BMWLand members BMW Oil Discount for BMW Engines BMW Car Tyre Discounts for BMWLand Members BMW Car Parts: Genuine BMW Parts Discount for BMWLand Members BMW ECU mapping BMW Swirl Flaps

www.BMWLand.co.uk ©2014                           Contact [email protected]

Peake BMW Diagnostics  
BMW Car Insurance Discount

BMW stolen without keys!!! Please help.

BMW forum car help: general BMW questions and answers about BMW cars sponsored by Opie Oils - for discount on BMW oil servicing

BMW stolen without keys!!! Please help.

Postby mk73 » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 01:43:49 UTC

I had a BMW 3 series 2005 stolen from my drive 3 months ago without the keys.... The insurance company were happy to pay out until they found the car 60 miles away. Now they aren't paying out unless I can get evidence on how a BMW car be stolen without forced entry and without the keys!!

I have heard that car manufacturers and insurance companies got together and made a statement to say that any car newer than a 52 plate "CANNOT" be stolen without keys!! BOLD STATEMENT if you ask me as that was 8 years ago..

Then, I also heard that the police had a briefing a couple of months ago to state that there is a "gadget" that criminals can use to get into your car by getting a frequency or something if they are near by to your car when you press the open button for your doors from your key!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated (links or facts) as they are indirectly stating we had something to do with it!!

Many thanks
mk73
mk73
User

Postby johnm_oz » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 08:37:36 UTC

Have a read through this one, perhaps get in touch with the bloke involved:

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13340

Good luck.

Cheers
JM
johnm_oz
User

Postby mk73 » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 10:57:21 UTC

thanks for the link..will look into it......

but insurance company want evidence.......

I think the insurnace companies are worse crim's than the people that take them...at least they don't take your money every month and then don't pay out when you need them!! : (
mk73
User

Postby hypoman » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 11:23:24 UTC

Heard more and more stories about people blocking signal when locking your car. allways check when you lock you car with the fob that the doors are actually locked.. there are some serious scum about. Sorry I you dont need to hear this now. Good Luck.Jim
hypoman
Overdrive

Postby LittleNicky » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 12:49:04 UTC

spare key? sure no one 'crept' in while u were asleep and took the spare keyfob???

the car won't start without the correct key. it isn't an E30, where you can crank it over from the diagnostic port! the insurance company is aware of the chips installed in post '96 car keys.

if they didn't have the key, they must've unlocked it somehow and towed it (which i highly doubt). there was no forced entry; i'm guessing they had your spare, or if you bought the car second hand, the previous owner tried to pull a smart one!
LittleNicky
Overdrive

BMW Members Cars: E36 Compact 2.5 (SOLD), Corsa C 1.0 12v, Punto Van 1.3jtd
England (EN)

Postby demon » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 13:44:34 UTC

Surely the insurance company should prove you didnt lock the car/ left the keys around ? Which is near enough impossible.
I think they are taking you for a ride. Its a solicitor you need.
demon
Overdrive

Postby mk73 » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 14:04:53 UTC

No spare key taken!! Bought from BMW dealer when 6 months old (5 years ago) and only supplied 2 keys, too which we still had, and we had moved 3 times since then as well!! and the missus hadn't filled the car up and only had 23 miles left in the tank, so they couldn't have gone far before filling up!! Wouldn't have thought they would have gone to a petrol station as the private reg was still on the car when they found it!!

Looks like its the financial ombudsman here I come and cross the ole fingers!!

Got the car back yesterday and the device hidden under the armrest had been stripped down...could there be any reason for this?? and also found the windscreen had a large crack along the bottom, looked like it had been hit with a hammer in a corner...could this had done something to get in....

I know it might seem I am grasping at straws...but I am!!
Would love to be able to go back to the insurance company with some evidence/fact so they could eat there words!!
mk73
User

Postby Peter » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 15:23:40 UTC

I'm sure there was a news item (BBC News I think), just a few days ago about the new crime of 'blocking' devices to prevent owners locking a car. You think you are locking the car, but the criminals can come back later and get into the cars and steal your goods. The advice was to check the car is actually locked, not just going through the motion of using the remote, without looking back at the car. Wonder if a similar method is being applied, but more sophisticated, maybe once in they can get the car going.

Peter
Car: BMW F11 535i M-Sport Auto Touring
Peter
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Postby Esco54 » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 16:01:20 UTC

Yes it's something new they use...it's called a "jammer" i think. :?
BMW M3 E46 SILVER 6 SPEED
ALPINA B3 S COUPE 2004 #106/149 (SOLD) :(
BMW 750IL INDIVIDUAL (SOLD)
MERCEDES CLK 500 AMG (SOLD)
BMW 730D E65 BLACK SAPPHIRE (SOLD)
BMW 530D E39 M-SPORT (SOLD)
BMW 525D E39 BLACK ROOF BBS WHEELS (SOLD)
Esco54
Overdrive

BMW Members Cars: BMW M3 E46

Postby Olli » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 17:06:00 UTC

the frequency jammer is an old hat by now, but it only gets them entry to the car. They still shouldn't be able to start it and drive it
Olli
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

Germany (de)

Postby rocketron » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 17:20:13 UTC

Do you know if the car was actually driven? Was petrol put in to get 60 miles or had it run out of petrol when found? If petrol still same level then its probably not been driven but towed, and probably opened with the blocker. Is the car damaged or can you drive it again ok, if so what do you need to claim for?
MAZDA CX-5 2.2D 175 SPORT NAV AUTO AWD
E90 320D M-Sport Lemans blue/beige leather/wood/auto/lumbar support/folding mirrors/through load/bluetooth/pro satnav,i-drive/voice control. NOW SOLD
320d se touring now sold.
rocketron
BMW Warlord

Postby mk73 » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 18:41:05 UTC

We're trying to claim for the cracked windscreen, damage to the bodywork and other minor damage internally....
It might have been towed, I don't know!!
The insurance company collected the car from the compound using our keys and took it to a BMW garage to be looked over. However due to them doing this the BMW Services Manager said that they could now NOT see whether another key had been used as they have a gizmo that can show what key was the last to drive the car, and with our keys being used to drive it from the compound potential evidence was lost!!
mk73
User

Postby sye » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 18:41:41 UTC

if the car has been found why do they need to pay out ....
sye
BMW Warlord
Site Supporter

BMW Members Cars: E46 M3 Vert
E46 330D
E36 325i se
England (EN)

Postby BarrySt » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 18:42:18 UTC

What insurance company are you with - I want to avoid them!

Good luck getting this sorted.
BarrySt
User

Postby demon » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:00:56 UTC

BarrySt wrote:What insurance company are you with - I want to avoid them!

+1

Sounds like admiral/elephant
demon
Overdrive

Postby bens81 » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:18:50 UTC

sye wrote:if the car has been found why do they need to pay out ....

True, but would you want your car back after it had been stolen, abandoned, and probably hammered to f cuk?

I know I wouldn't
Last edited by bens81 on Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:22:49 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
6 cylinders all in line...
bens81
Overdrive

BMW Members Cars: BMW E46 330ci Sport
England (EN)

Postby thelongmile » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:19:01 UTC

demon wrote:
BarrySt wrote:What insurance company are you with - I want to avoid them!

+1

Sounds like admiral/elephant

+2 smells like axa group to me!
New Arrival - BMW 325Ci (52) - She's here... OOOHHHH
Former owner of possibly the MOST unreliable 120d in the world - last broke 22-09-10 - ITS SOLD! 30/03/11
thelongmile
Advanced

BMW Members Cars: BMW 2002 325Ci
Wales (CM)

Postby 3thirtyD » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:31:18 UTC

mk73 wrote:No spare key taken!! Bought from BMW dealer when 6 months old (5 years ago) and only supplied 2 keys, too which we still had, and we had moved 3 times since then as well!! and the missus hadn't filled the car up and only had 23 miles left in the tank, so they couldn't have gone far before filling up!! Wouldn't have thought they would have gone to a petrol station as the private reg was still on the car when they found it!!

Looks like its the financial ombudsman here I come and cross the ole fingers!!

Got the car back yesterday and the device hidden under the armrest had been stripped down...could there be any reason for this?? and also found the windscreen had a large crack along the bottom, looked like it had been hit with a hammer in a corner...could this had done something to get in....

I know it might seem I am grasping at straws...but I am!!
Would love to be able to go back to the insurance company with some evidence/fact so they could eat there words!!

I hope you took pictures of all the damage.

Lets have a look at what they did to the console,seems a strange access point.
3thirtyD
Intermediate

Postby mk73 » Sun, 12 Sep 2010 22:47:42 UTC

Were with Tesco Insurance (RBS when you strip all the companies away)...but will change as soon as poss, but there again, they're probably owned by the same one!!

Would post the picture of the item stripped (think its something to do with connecting mp3 player) but can't seem to paste it onto this email....

Would have wanted them to keep the car, but had no choice...

As for why should they pay out....Well that's what we pay insurance for isn't it!!??
mk73
User

Postby johnm_oz » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 04:00:39 UTC

To my (logical, not legal) brain, if it is only the last key used that can be seen, then the insurance company are the ones who have :banned: up and destroyed any evidence there may have been about key useage by driving it instead of flatbedding it. As long as you didn't ok/ request it be driven I reckon you've got a strong argument to expect them to accept the claim.

Cheers
JM
johnm_oz
User

Next

• Forum Topics on BMWLand that may be of intetest to you
    Replies
    Views
    Last Forum post

Return to General BMW Help/Advice

BMWLand: Who is online